LS3/5a buys LS3/5a's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Aug 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Very interesting review. After watching the review,I’m definitely getting an itchy trigger finger.

Echoes Myron and bhazen like this.
  2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

bhazen likes this.
  3. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Looks like they are sold out already! I did a search on the china-hifi-audio website for 15 ohm version, to no avail. I'm sure they'll offer one eventually.
    My speakers are 1978 15 ohm Chartwells and so far I have not found anything remotely close to them. I had Falcons in rosewood, and sure they were pretty but could not compare to my Chartwells.

I have been tempted to try the new 15 ohm Rogers, made in the UK with Chinese drivers. But like the Falcon, they are $$$....

bhazen and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

extremely well said as usual. :tiphat:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Since when are the Falcons back at $2500? When Tone Imports was the distributor they sold for $3250. I know, I bought a pair back in 2017.

ls35a likes this.
  6. ls35a

Now showing 8 units in stock.

Manimal and bhazen like this.
  7. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Man, it's tempting but then there's that adage: if it's too good to be true...

The review mentioned the cabinet being made of MDF. That doesn't sound very promising.

And as much as Sean is enthusiastic and passionate, I don't think he has enough experience with the real LS3/5A to form a valid opinion for me...

Andy Saunders likes this.
  8. james

james Summon The Queen

to be fair, he's comparing them to Harbeth P3's which aren't "real" LS3/5A's, are they?

Under different personal circumstances, I'd be up for ordering a pair. Sounds like a nice speaker to throw in a room where you don't plan on sitting in the sweet spot and listening. Maybe even a nice speaker for actual bookshelves.

9. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I sold my 5a's (Rogers) about fifteen years ago.

They're okay, they'd have been fine in a small study or den for a 2nd system.

I preferred the mid/tweeter presentation I got from the KEF 105 (the original, not the 2nd version).

If you ever have a chance to hear the original 105 speakers, I'd jump at it.

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You're right, and what I meant to type in my response to @avanti1960 was $3500, not $2500. That's how much I personally think of the Falcons.

There are two guys in my music listening group who don't like the Falcons. Basically, they have no patience for any speaker cabinet less than about two cubic feet in volume. Everything else sounds thin and insubstantial to them.

The rest of the gang loves the Falcons, and have engaged in serious discussions about value vs cost.

When I had the AudioSpace versions at home, nobody liked them. At CAN$1200, they were judged a rip-off.

I won't call the Sound Artist version a rip-off, but I strongly disagree with the latest review of the things. I put my money where my mouth is though and just ordered a pair from China Audio (the speakers are apparently back in stock over there).

Rick58, Ivand, Soundsense and 2 others like this.
  11. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

The last paragraph is kind of confusing. You don't actually disagree with the review then, right? At least not yet.

Personally I think I would be inclined to do what Sean suggested if I wanted to not spend over $2k. I would just buy a used pair of P3's (or whichever LS3/5A or 3/5A descendant I preferred). Better resale, better build quality, (probably) better sound, more pride in ownership, and at least in the case of the P3's you'd have some support. In the long run it's money well spent.

Personally I have most interest in the P3's or the Spendor 4/5, though no doubt a more official LS3/5A like the Falcons is very intriguing.

bhazen likes this.
  12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm intrigued by the 4/5. I've only seen one review online, but it was very positive (for what its worth ...) £1,600/pr. -- so that'd be what, $2,500 in the U.S.? The Spendor Classic line increasingly looks to be a challenger to what Graham/Chartwell is doing.

Speaking of, if you ever get a chance to hear the current Chartwell LS3/5 or LS3/5A, do so. They are amazingly good, IMO.

13. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I came very close to buying the 4/5 but opted for the 3/1 instead. I already have the P3's and Tab 10's so I wanted a little bigger speaker.

avanti1960 and bhazen like this.
  14. ls35a

How do the 3/1's compare to the P3's and Tab 10's???

bhazen likes this.
  15. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Wow! l think there may be some manufav
    Lot of it is what do you listen to.:)

16. ls35a

Absolutely. And your associated equipment. And your room.

17. Art K

I get the 3/1’s next Monday so the following weekend I will be doing extensive listening.

Manimal and bhazen like this.
  18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

£1,600 is about $2KUSD, or $2,800Cdn.

The Chartwell's look great. I think they retail for $3,800Cdn. Probably more than I'd be willing to spend, but if a used pair comes up then maybe. I'd love to get one of these into my room, and I know if I buy one of the Chinese ones I'll be wondering how much I'm missing out on.

Harbeth seems the safest way to go. Lots come up in the used market, brand recognition, good resale value. Spendor maybe too, depending on how the 4/5 does. The others seem to have less distribution. To be honest, getting an officially licensed LS3/5A isn't really the goal for me. It would be cool to experience that of course and if the opportunity arises then sure. But it's more the qualities of that speaker that I am interested in; the rich midrange, the clarity, the transparency. I think getting an official LS3/5A is maybe more important from a status or collectibility standpoint, which isn't meant to be a dig. Just that there are other speakers that have the same character so it's not like the LS3/5A is the only option if you want that type of sound. What I might try to do is borrow the 4/5 for a weekend for an in-home trial. No risk, and if I love them I can buy a new pair from the same dealer. Something to do post-Covid perhaps.

bhazen likes this.
  19. Art K

I listen to pretty much everything. Jazz and classical are my favs and have been since I was a child. But at any given time you can find me listening to anything from Wilco to Metallica or Johnny Cash to The Roots. I love music.

Andy Saunders and bhazen like this.
  20. Art K

Very much so. My room is tiny and I won’t ever have a much larger one unless I win the lotto.

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Harbeth could use a monitor with a 7 in woofer like the 3/1.
    Bigger sounding than the P3 and better tweeter to mid integration than the bigger models.

bhazen and Art K like this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

:) How wonderful! Congratulations!

I'd be interested to compare, someday, with my Chartwell LS6's, which are close in size (LS6 is 14.5" tall, 6.5" woofer).

ls35a and Art K like this.
  23. Art K

... and you are a NW’er!

bhazen likes this.
  24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

:agree: When I awake some summer mornings and see the grey moved in overnight, and the temperature dropped from 80° to 65°, I'm secretly pleased.

Rick58, 33na3rd and Art K like this.
  25. Art K

Me too...supposed to rain on Thursday. I'm happy. Working from home with no A/C.

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.