Luke Skywalker STAR WARS Saga Has Ended

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 19, 2022.

1. It also gave backstory to Solo and Lando which I liked a lot.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yes, worked with him every other day at ILM for 3-1/2 months back in 2004. Lucas is a very nice man, but he's direct, blunt, and generally specific about what he wants and what he doesn't want (which is his right, as the filmmaker). But it's a slow process.

[​IMG]

3. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

I’ve met George Lucas too twice back in the summer of 1997. First was in Hamleys toy store in London where he was looking at the range of Star Wars action figures. Then a month later he came to The Palace Theatre where I was working to see the Saturday night performance of the musical Les Miserable. He was in the UK at that time to start studio work on The Phantom Menace. And to echo Vidiot Lucas was a nice guy.

MarkO and longdist01 like this.
  4. Vidiot

It was endlessly discussed, and the director got what he wanted.

5. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I can't help but think that Kenndy came away from Solo with the wrong conclusion. Solo wasn't a bad movie but I felt it was a little bit bland, it's not that Harrison Ford wasn't in the movie or that he was recast but rather that other factors were at play. I also think the movie would've done better if it launched during the Christmas season as the previous films had done instead of trying to force it out for that May the 4th gimmick. It's kind of a shame we probably won't see a follow-up to Solo, I thought it ended on an intriguing note.

6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I also thought it wasn't bad, and the presence of the young Harrison Ford clone featured in "Adaline" could've sold some more tickets.

It's not like the actor they cast gave a legendary performance or brought much charisma to the film.

CraigBic likes this.
  7. That's really cool. Do you think he knows / understands / cares that his life's work means so much to people ? I mean, I have a friend on the road right now driving to Anaheim from Oregon to the Star Wars Celebration.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Honestly I think this was the biggest thing that hurt it. That extra 6 months might have meant a lot.

Or people still might not have cared. I dunno.

ianuaditis and CraigBic like this.
  9. Vidiot

George is/was painfully aware of it and didn't like being a celebrity at all. He told me a few weeks into the project that he was very unhappy that the fans on the internet "criticize everything I do." I think the constant criticism and also the failure of Red Tails in 2012 was what led him to completely walk away from filmmaking and just sell it all to Disney.

enro99, Chris DeVoe and MarkO like this.
  10. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Is there a training course or test required to become a gatekeeper?

11. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

So I guess Chewy is just going to live out his days in a rocking chair in a tree on Kashyyyk?

Inquiring minds want to know.

The story isn't over!

head_unit likes this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That sounds like a recipe for the Star Wars Holiday Special 2: Electric Boogaloo

CoachD, MrJerry1876 and omikron like this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Even Jar-Jar? (Actually I never found him so awful, my sticking point of the "first" movie was the landspeeder race that they HAVE to win or they can't get off-planet and then the movie would stop, so obviously he WILL win so you dodos just gave it away, grrr).

14. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Chewie joins an experimental jazz rock band.

Puts out debut album Kashyyyk Yerbouti.

Goes Beskar Steel on the galactic charts.

MarkO, MrJerry1876 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And in ten years, he's doing nostalgia gigs with the Cantina Band.

"Hey - play 'Jub-Jub'...!"

MrJerry1876 and omikron like this.
  16. MusicGuy5!

MusicGuy5! Forum Resident

I grew up watching both the original and prequel trilogies so both are sentimental to me

17. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Money makes all the worst outcomes not only possible, but very likely!

18. First, I am aassuming you meant Greedo, not Guido....with that in mind.
    I heard that story line was shot first, so it must be on reels somewhere.

19. Nah, Chewy will take a job on Fhloston Paradise and play out the next 50 or so years as an attraction to humans still remembering Star Wars.
    Then he will retire to Kashyyyk and live out his remaining 300 or so years.

omikron likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Technically, I never gave any money to Disney, instead they shared theirs with me, after the merger put the Pixar guy in charge. And, I still have voting rights.

21. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

The biggest problem was Solo came out just 5 months after The Last Jedi, which fractured the SW fandom more than any other single event. Pure hubris that they thought they could pump out two SW movies within a few months of each other and not take a hit from it, especially when you're recasting one of the most iconic characters in the saga.

Personally I enjoyed Solo, but it wasn't a story that was necessary on any level. I half expected them to continue the storyline in one way or another on Disney +, but honestly if the plan is to ditch any followup I won't lose any sleep...it was good, but not great.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The first movie is all I need.

BGLeduc and MusicGuy5! like this.
  23. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

the box offices from 7-9 weren't good. 8 was half of 7 and 9 half of 8. i adore star wars but haven't seen solo, i've not enjoyed the post disney take over but have been reading the old eu novels which have a great solo backstory so i have no interest in the new stuff

24. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What are you talking about?

"Force Awakens" made nearly $1 billion in the US alone. Without adjustment for inflation, it's the highest grossing movie in the US... ever. It made nearly $100 million more than the 2nd place film.

Internationally, "Force" made more than $2 billion total. It's 4th all time worldwide.

"Last Jedi" made $620 million US/$1.3 billion WW. Not as good as "Force", but still huge, huge money.

Only "Last Skywalker" became a relative disappointment, but it still made $515 million US/$1 billion WW.

That's a lot of money. The Sequel Trilogy did great at the box office.