Luther Season 5: Alice Returns!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by socorro, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socorro

socorro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just read that there will be a 5th season of Luther, the UK detective series with Idris Elba.

This is a bit surprising, because the fourth season came out three years ago, and was a major come down after the first three excellent seasons. This was largely because Luther's adversary/collaborator/love interest/hate interest, Alice, was missing. To make up for her absence, the writers did the laziest thing imaginable -- create a story arc about a slasher serial killer :)yawn:).

Apparently Alice will be back.

I'm hoping for a return to form. It is apparently four episodes (the earlier seasons were similarly short)

Balthazar, realkilroy, jpelg and 2 others like this.
  2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'm a very big fan of Ruth Wilson so this is good news.

3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I've watched the first three episodes I have to say it's a let down, even with the return of Ruth Wilson. Whilst it's never been fettered by believable now it's gone too far, Luther mayhem being resolved by implausible story arcs, seems to be pushing the envelope to breaking point now.

What we do get is a great new character, played by Wunmi Mosaku as Luther's 'rookie'.

There's a good story going on in the background, which involves Hermione Norris (Wire in the Blood) and a serial killer but it's almost forgotten as Luther bashes inanimate objects and people.

This gives you a insight, good fun but OTT.

4. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Well, that's four hours of my life I'm not getting back. Utterly dreadful. Nothing made any sense. Struck lots of wrong notes also with minor (and sometimes even quite major) characters apparently only there to be summarily dispensed with, much like the famed Star Trek redshirts.

jpelg and Pastafarian like this.
  5. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Not as bad as Season 4 but definitely nowhere near close to what this show used to be. I hope they call it a day and not proceed with a movie as is rumored.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I gave season 4 a chance after a what I thought was a poor S3. S4 was much worse and that's where I called it quits. Looks like a good decision going by your comments (and others).

7. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Yep, pretty sloppy season and a rather unimpressive return of Alice. Idris Elba looked old and slow and was buried among too many storylines and characters.

jpelg likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Also, the last "season" was what? Two episodes?

9. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I'd never watched Luther till this season. Thought it was tremendous. So there you go... :wave:

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Where can you watch this in Canada?

11. Pastafarian

Watched the final episode last night and my previous post was too kind, major disappointment and I'll not be recommending it to others.

The thought of Alice's return was enticing but she'd turned into a petulant teenager, WTF:confused:, so a major flaw rather than the expected treat.

12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m still tempted to get this. Is it really that bad?

13. Pastafarian

Nah, disappointment mainly, don't let me put you off.

Brenald79 likes this.
  14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The basic crime is intriguing enough, but I don't like the plot thread with Alice. I thought she ruined the previous season(s) too.

15. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Haven't watched any of Season 5 yet, but Love this series so much!! Recommend to above quoted poster to either find where it's streamed, or get the Season 1 DVD.
    - No Spoilers:
    Will say I was a bit disappointed w/Season 2. Watched Season 4 b/c BBC America had it on just prior to
    start of Season 5. I'd skipped over Season 3 to watch. I've viewed 1 & 2 on DVD & have Season 3.
    Season 4 was not a whole season; it was a 3 hour "special".

Idris Elba's (John Luther) great, but ya need Ruth Wilson (Alice) for that psychological element/interplay between the 2 characters.

alexpop likes this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Season 1 was really good. Seasons 2-3 were pretty good. Season 4 was kind of weak.

I haven't seen Season 5, but the reviews here aren't encouraging.

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

For me, 5 was the worst--enough not to bother with 6 if there is one.

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Good series, overall. But I dunno about Idris as an actor....the rubbing of the eyes and squeezing the forehead in tormented inner anguish got kinda old.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I see that more as the writing than Elba's skill. This season's writing just wasn't compelling in comparison to other seasons' and other means to add depth were falling mostly flat.

Still, I'm easier to please than others here. It was Luther. I was glad to see another season and enjoyed watching it each week. Especially enjoyed "Halliday" as I had just enjoyed her on "Dancing on the Edge."

20. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I liked this one better than the previous, Alice-free, series but I think Warren Brown’s character is just as much of a loss.

21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I hate to hear that season 5, for many, is a downer. We’ll watch it once holidays are over.

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Finally available in Canada! It just popped up on my Fire Stick today as a featured show. It’s on the CBC Gem channel which is free.

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wow!

S05 is rough!!!

24. The plot elements involving Alice seemed forced Nd it wasn’t a very good season.

25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Watching a Korean remake called Less Than Evil. Luther fans will love it. But you don't need to see the original to enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.