Luther: The Fallen Sun movie on Netflix (March 10, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Mar 10, 2023.

1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Excellent follow up to a tepid 5th season for “Luther”. Reportedly there will be a second one though no time frame on this right now.

well done and excellent.

2. wayneklein

Any other Luther fans here? Chime in!

Dillydipper and jlocke08 like this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'll be watching over the weekend. Is Ruth Wilson in this?

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it, though I found much of it over the top. The bad guy was just too evil for my taste. And I didn't believe for a second, that he would last longer than two seconds in a fight with Luther.

The ending reminded me of "Marcella". I suppose they will declare him dead now, so they can use him for secret special operations. Looks like Elba will become some kind of Bond now after all.

What I found outright strange was that the rescue team arrived with divers already dressed in full gear, so Luther could get pulled from the water in time. How could they have known?

What annoyed me was the scene at the beginning where Luther promises the mother, that he would find her son (after she pressured him). Why do detective in films keep doing that, when they can't possibly know if they can keep that promise? Of course, she later blamed him for it, which annoyed me even more.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

No. The character of Alice Morgan isn't even mentioned.

6. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I finished watching the Luther series earlier this week so I'll definitely check this out.

7. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I was going to skip this because the critic reviews aren’t good but if the forum says otherwise…

MrSka57 likes this.
  8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I wanted to like it since I enjoyed the series, but most of it was simply too ridiculous.

silverhead, Macman and Adam6437 like this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Season 5 was a pile of crap, a huge disappointment.

Glad to hear that this doesn't repeat that mistake.

10. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

If you like crime thrillers you could do a lot worse.

11. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Luther is fantastic. new film downloaded and ready for my flight tomorrow.

12. It was okay, ridiculous in parts.
    Won't linger long in the memory.

13. wayneklein

I’m surprised. It’s well made and is inspired at times. Sure there are some unbelievable elements but you suspend your disbelief and you take your chances.

14. wayneklein

see my comments in your spoiler:

wolfram likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It was good, but it almost seemed like a version of Luther-lite!;) The original series was much more hard-core, and for me, Luther worked best when it was a 2-man show, I miss Alice! Woulda made my night to see Ruth Wilson waiting for him in that car!;)

outoftime likes this.
  16. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I will check this out when I have the availability, but nothing will really top the first TV season of Luther.

Macman and wolfram like this.
  17. wayneklein

I actually was glad Alice wasn’t around for this season. I just never believed that relationship as it progressed.

18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Watched it earlier this week. It was mildly entertaining, but I sort of forgot how schlocky and over the top this show (and now film) can be. I still watch because Idris Elba does a great job with the character, but for me the most interesting stuff from the series was the plot involving Alice Morgan.

19. wayneklein

Really? I found her character more over-the-top and annoying the longer she was on.

20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The last BBC series was weak. This is in my list to watch.

It always amazed me that his superiors could never grasp that his job/mission was to hunt down the 'monsters', not humans as such.

21. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

That scene where John is talking to Corrine about who she has met recently at about the 1:10 mark ...

... It speaks volumes to Idris' acting chops.

This is the most human, vulnerable and emotionally sincere moment I think I've seen from Luther.

Idris played to a character in the show. Of course he was amazing and the character was amazingly complex.

But I think Idris took it to a next level here. He went from impressive to absolutely top tier with this performance.

22. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Luther was only slightly realistic when it began. Now, he’s unkillable like Bond - it’s like Daniel Craig dour but also Roger Moore era cartoonish.

Yovra likes this.
  23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Compared to the first two Luther series this was a trainwreck of a movie. There were hints of the horrors of the orginals, but Serkis power-actes his way through a movie where
    he went from a serial-blackmailer to a Bond-villian complete with headquarters and a Secret Society.
    By that time I had stopped caring about any plot at all. It lasted at least half an hour too long.

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wow!

Crazy!

I thought the series was dark!