Luxman 509Z landed in Japan

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SME12A, Jan 26, 2023.

1. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever Thread Starter

2. SME12A

3. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Thank you for the heads up - that thing is beautiful!

SME12A likes this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

If I didn't already have a very nice amp, I'd be thinking about a 509. Everytime I look at them I wish could have two amps.

SME12A likes this.
  5. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Feels like some day I will brake my piggybank... ❤️

Long Live Analog and SME12A like this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

That’s a sweet amp :)

SME12A likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Indeed!:goodie:

SME12A likes this.
  8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Very nice :agree:

SME12A likes this.
  9. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

The official Luxman video launch...

Douglas Lam likes this.
  10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

No tape loop ((

macster, LostArk and keiron99 like this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I believe this amp is 9k at MusicDirect if I remember right
    I wonder if it will have a more neutral sound as opposed to the warmer tonal balance of the last line

12. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

120W into 8ohm, doubling down to 240W into 4ohm... 66lbs of rock solid goodness.... The earlier versions also have an outstanding phono stage integrated, a plus, and I'm sure that'll continue here.

I love Luxman (and Accuphase)!! :) I'd be proud to own this integrated!

13. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I'm very happy with my Accuphase but if I ever feel that I need a change I'll be looking at this amp.

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yeah, the same trend from Audiolab, both owned by IAG. Don't understand what were they thinking. You pay $13k-$14k and you can't record your vinyl, so you need to buy additional phono preamp despite you already have a top one in the integrated! Heavy nonsense. Yet, they added a second smaller headphone out, like you can't use adapter. :rolleyes: A feature reminding of cheap dj mixers.

However, they kept the pre/main separation so you can insert a processor, like EQ.

keiron99 likes this.
  15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

IMO Accuphase E4000 is the better choice. Not to mention Lux added the volume display to obviously keep up with Accuphase.

SME12A likes this.
  16. SME12A

509Z is confirmed at $12k in US. It is also ready to pre order through US dealers.

17. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

7K in Japan, 12K in USA.. A little crazy, but I know the drill. I think it now have universal power supply, so there no "100V transformer" penalty if buying from Japan.
    For this type of markup one can skip 2 year warranty.

SME12A likes this.
  18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What about Accuphase? If they do the same I'm flying to Japan.

SME12A likes this.
  19. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

The thing with Accuphase, not sure about others, is if you go to Japan and buy it there then take it to another country you have no warranty. The warranty is only valid in the country where you bought the unit.

jonwoody, Bananas&blow and SME12A like this.
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Would take the risk with such huge price difference.

siebrand and SME12A like this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I’m sure the 507Z will be close for 3k less :)

jonwoody, Bananas&blow and SME12A like this.
  22. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Wonderful...some deadweight leech wants an extra 5k to store it in his garage and ship to y'all in the great USofA. Sign a petition and ask Luxman to go manufacturer direct.

SME12A and MikeJedi like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Shades of what has been happening with Accuphase for years :-( US pricing out of whack, too bad that's might start happening with Luxman.

BTW, I run 100V Accuphase, not sure how stepping down 20V is a "penalty" - I built an Accuphase signal chain of separates, from Japan, at 100V and like to think I scored big! :) (I did).

matro5, jonwoody, SME12A and 2 others like this.
  24. AstroFly

AstroFly Forum Resident

Saw an interesting video tonight. Since the Accuphase amp is made for worldwide use, it can be rewired pretty easily to have the setting changed from 100V to 120V. I have no technical skills, so I wouldn’t attempt it, but seems like it would be easy for a skilled technician to do. Would be worth exploring, since an E-4000 is $9k on Audio Cubes and $16k elsewhere. My guess is that Luxman is similar. No warranty of course, but if you save $5k-$7k up front, then it may be worth it. If I were in the market for an amp, I’d certainly look into it.

SME12A and GyroT like this.
  25. SME12A

I would not compare Accuphase to Luxman on any level - Luxman is owned by Chinese conglomerate producing lifestyle product with decent sound. As you by pricing in Japan, one is not really getting High-End amp by price standard. US created that image with PR departments.
    Accuphase is small, family operated business - almost boutique brand like Shindo. They outsource only most needed components that cannot be manufactured locally in Japan. (Luxman is well know to built amps and assemblies in China.)
    When you buy Accuphase - you are getting best example of Japanese culture, finesses and built quality.
    I would not buy Accuphase from a dealer in US. The mark-up is through the roof and truly no benefits.
    I would not need Warranty with Accuphase BUT I would definitively asked for one with Luxman. As previous post mentioned, changing the tap on transformer on Accu is quite straightforward.