Luxman L-507Z

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nyrjoe, Jun 3, 2022.

1. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I believe it has been released but can't find any reviews. Supposedly it's a significant upgrade from the 507u and built to sound more like the class A 590
    If anyone has heard it, please post thoughts on sound, tonal character..

()

bluenosens likes this.
  2. AstroFly

AstroFly Forum Resident

The 507u is an older model. The new Z replaces the 507uxii. The main differences seems to be twice the filter capacitance and Luxman’s new “LIFES1.0” circuitry in the Z model.

Interesting on the sound signature. I believe @avanti1960 had characterized the sound as more detailed rather than the more rounded sound often attributed to Class A amps, but hopefully he can comment himself to give his firsthand impressions.

avanti1960 and Tim 2 like this.
  3. AstroFly

AstroFly Forum Resident

All right, now that I’m off work I’ve had the time to watch this video all the way through. Thanks for posting it. Very cool to get a more inside look at Luxman as a company. At some point I want to take a trip to Japan, and I’m now thinking that I should see if I can finagle a Luxman tour as well. :)

DancingSea likes this.
  4. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

5. AstroFly

AstroFly Forum Resident

Yes, Luxman is really marking things up with the new models. Seems they’re returning to a pricing strategy similar to when On a Higher Note was selling their gear, but then they dropped prices about 30% after moving away from that business relationship. I assume that they dropped prices that time because it wasn’t serving their business well. However, this time audio manufacturers across the board are raising prices, so we’ll see if that makes a difference in this being a sustainable move for them.

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Definitely a more detailed and nicer sound (to my ears) than any Luxman amp I have heard. Expands the idea of detail while still remaining Luxman smooth.
    I really liked the sound and it should pair well with a wide variety of speaker voicings from forgiving to bright.

7. SocProf

SocProf Forum Resident

I can't find any professional reviews of this model yet. Have any other people had a chance to listen to it?

8. Nero

Nero Rega - Oppo - Luxman - Sonus Faber.

So far as I can see the the L509x is still king of Luxman a/b integrated amps.
    And while a digital red display showing how high the volume is could be convenient for some I actually don’t like it. I mean that’s what the meters are for. To show how much power you are using.

Icethorn likes this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

forget the pro reviews, there won't be one that doesn't love it. you can almost predict the over the top enthusiasm.
    if you are in the market and can afford it there is very little risk, it is a Luxman.

Barky, hi_watt, Douglas Lam and 2 others like this.
  10. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

I believe Tone magazine has a review of the L507Z. Haven't read it but I notice Jay's Audio Lab on youtube has concluded that the New Luxman amp, is it the 10x? is [especially in the bass], a clear improvement of the older 900 which he still recommends also. Cheers, lloyd

11. bluenosens

Sorry about the above post but that should read Tone Audio. cheers, lloyd

12. bluenosens

The Toneaudio may be only an announcement as it doesn't say review. But has anyone noticed on youtube, Jay's Audio Lab has been running the Luxman M10X. His comments are very positive/ cheers, lloyd

13. SocProf

SocProf Forum Resident

Thanks, Lloyd. Stereophile reviewed the M10X, and the reviewer was very impressed:

"Perhaps it is fitting that Luxman is now owned by IAG, which also owns Quad. It was Quad's founder, the late Peter Walker, who defined the role of a perfect power amplifier as being "a straight wire with gain," neither subtracting from the signal it was amplifying nor adding to it. I have yet to encounter an amplifier that meets that ideal in every way, but from the month it spent in my system, I believe that Luxman's M-10X gets very close. Highly recommended."

14. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

I am actually of opposite opinion. Luxman products (not to the extend of Accuphase) are being overpriced recently. Getting equipment made in North America, one gets MUCH better bang for the $$. Simaudio, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Levinson, Boulder, Jeff Rowland, Vinno Rossi to name a few.....507z is 580000 Yens as of today on average market in Japan. That is $3900....

Also, Luxman is about to introduce 509z with same technology as 507Z but in a $15k category.
    I had all Luxman integrated as well as 900 series separates for extensive period of time at me place.
    To me 509X is a winner if you have easy to drive speakers (509x outperformed DartZeel LHC208 with DeVore 0/96s in my room) but, as any integrated, its power supply is weak and cannot be compared to separates.

Driving KEF Reference 3 Meta, or Marten Parker Trio, no Luxman's integrated did a good job and 507z ran out of stem quickly.

So it all depends on MANY factors if given amplification works. To me - separates are the only way to go...

15. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

I listened to this today alongside a Musical Fidelity M8xi and a Technics SU-R1000 through a pair of B & W 805 D4 speakers
    I had been reading up on the other two but listened to this blind so to speak
    no contest guess what's been ordered

16. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

imho there is sufficient power for normal home listening levels, steady state or transient.

L509Xi, both channels driven
    SS
    8 Ohm 155 W
    4 Ohm 255 W

dynamic
    8 Ohm 183 W
    4 Ohm 342 W
    2 Ohm 507 W
    1 Ohm 300 W, limited by current protection at 16.7 A

17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

They eliminated the record out here, too, as with Audiolab 9000A. What's wrong with those designers? You pay $10000 and if you want to rip your vinyl you need another phono preamp.:rolleyes: Integrated my a$$.

18. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

These are published spec. Most Luxman integrated are lifestyle products where look, chassis,tone control is very important. Do not get me wrong - I really like Luxman and Accuphase products but am not a big fan of their US price policy.

You might be absolutely correct - if you have smaller, live room and listen at low level sitting close to speaker, 507 might be more than you are ever need. Another aspect of any integrated amp is very weak pre-amp section.

Like with everything else - make sure you check it in YOUR room with YOUR music, in YOUR own system - listening at dealer is totally and absolutely useless!

DancingSea likes this.
  19. Ingenieur

Those are actually measured specs.
    Independent 3rd party. Luxman was conservative 120 W (8 Ohm) rated vs 155 W measured, 220 W (4 Ohm) vs 255 W.

The phono/preamp is dead quiet
    100% volume, 8-9 mV at speaker, 6.5 of it is cartridge noise. Measured shorted input A wtd 0.27 uV x 60 phono x 160 amp ~ 2.6 mV

I'm an electrical engineer. I bought it for purity of amplification. The build quality and form are bonuses.

I look at an integrated as a choice, not really a compromise these days.

On any speaker it could drive 10 W continuously, but the issue is you might damage your hearing. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2022
  20. Ingenieur

btw
    My room is large (32 x 14 x 8) and well dampened. I sit 11-12' away and speaker eff is 86 dB.
    I see <0.1 W typically, 10 W occasionally and 30 W on peaks.
    75 dBA SPL
    100 dBZ peaks

Jbird and inzite like this.
  21. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

You don't have to justify your choice. I am also an engineer and am not trying to convince you either way. If you like your amp - you should be happy. My extensive audio experience is totally opposite to your. On another hand - we have many users using 10W amps with full satisfaction.

I am using 650W a channel into 4 Ohms, mono blocks with 120000uF energy storage each. 86dB speaker that has 2.4Ohm minimum. Playing dynamic music at 85-90dB level, both mono blocks' massive heat exchangers are becoming very warm to touch. When Luxman 509x or 507 is placed in my system, all dynamic contrast, drive and low end impact are gone!
    Yes, the amp will still play music but the performance is thin, soundstage shallow and over all presentation - far from engaging.
    We are all different and have different expectations. What I learned in audio - engineering as a science, has not much correlation with how equipment sounds and if one will like it.
    I am very fortunate to be a friend with local dealer who lets me try all gear at my place. Because of this, I am sharing my personal experiences so that potential future buyer can keep that in his/her mind..
    All these measurements means absolutely nothing in relation to sonic preference and room integration.

Open minded approach is very important in this hobby. If you think 509x is that good, try to get Luxman separates in your room. (I had them). I am very curious what would you say after that....

22. Ingenieur

Not justifying anything. Refuting an assertion by presenting my position and providing back-up.

Laying out the facts, clearing up a common misconception about how much power is actually needed and that a 509 will provide enough for 99% of home audio applications.

If playing at 85 dBA with 86 dB speakers that is extremely loud. Extended exposure is considered hazardous.
    With 25 dB peaks ~ 110 dB.
    1.5 minutes/day can result in permanent hearing loss.

Your speakers at 85 dBA/110 dB peaks ~ 1 W average, 251 W peak, 2.4 Ohm.
    Current ~ 0.65 A, 10.3 A
    The L509 can deliver >14 A into 2.4 Ohm
    16.7 A into 2 Ohm

Into 2 Ohm the L509 can deliver ~ 400 W continuous. >500 W peak.
    Of course it will get warm, but still has plenty of headroom.

I'm not sure what 'thin', 'presentation', etc. mean. I do know both amps will supply the load the same, magnitude, skew rate, rise time, etc.

An 'open minded' or subjective approach is good for evaluating some parameters, but an objective, analytical fact driven method may be better for some. imho power amplification is one of those.

23. bluenosens

I see Absolute Sound had their Luxman L507z review up before Tone mag. A very informative take I would say if you happen to read it. cheers, Bluenose

Ingenieur likes this.
  24. didnelps

didnelps Well-Known Member

For what it is worth. Have a love and hate relation to the sound.

Separation is very good, so is the bass, sound is clean, low distortion. Goes quite deep and high. Still it have some sense of airyness. For many it can be addictive sounding.

But, it’s neutral sounding, midtone missing a bit, sounds little thin on top.

All over a very good sounding amp, guess warm speakers or source would be a great combo.

Personally I prefer more warm sounding amp, with a bit more presence.

This is just a personal experience, allways listen carefully before buying

DancingSea likes this.
  25. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

The best combo that truly intrigued me when paired with 507z in a large live room was Klipsch LaScala LA5. Obviously, we can't talk about lowest end with that speaker BUT midrange and top were truly exquisite. Easly flowing in a way that no dynamic tweeter design can accomplish.
    I would disagree with you that Luxman requires warm source or speaker - on the contrary, exactly opposite is true.
    Luxman or/and Accuphase are generally considered as warm sounding gear and usually pair well with forward sounding speakers, unless you have super lively room.

Slimwhit33 and Ingenieur like this.