Luxman L-509x vs L-507z

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Harris11235, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm in active discussions with two different dealers about each of these amps.

Both are priced equally (well below MSRP), with potential for a further price reduction on the 509.

This would be a replacement for the Cronus Magnum III that I use in the lounge system, all other gear is listed in my profile. I'm getting annoyed with tubes (fiddly, waning availability).

There is a potential for a home demo with the 509, and a good return policy for the 507.

I'm drawn to the 509 because it's the most recent top of the line model that operates in pure Class A. The 507 is Class A/B, but it includes some of the new generation of tech that Luxman is rolling out for it's 100th anniversary. I'm not sure that will matter for me, considering the chosen amp will be powering highly sensitive Cornwall IVs.

I'm interested in your opinions between the two. What would you choose?

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Harris11235 likes this.
  3. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

i think you're confusing the 509 with the 590 -- the 590 is the pure class a model. the 509 is a great amp -- can't go wrong with it. i haven't heard the 507.

PRODUCTS | LUXMAN | Seeking higher sound quality

Harris11235 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Yup, got your 0's and 9's transposed.

Which one are you really asking about - the 509 or 590??? :)

jcn3 likes this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

BTW Harris, both nice, and the Class A would drive those Cornwall's fine IME.

Harris11235 likes this.
  6. Harris11235

It's the 509X, which upon closer look I see is Class AB

Bananas&blow likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

Yep, 120W into 8 ohm. Great integrated, Lux has a number of prior revs, a newer rev out.... but for me the 509X is one of those revisions / releases that is a standout in an already excellent lineup of integrated revisions and levels!

I still think the Class A idea was cool with the Cornies too... :)

mike catucci, adamos and Harris11235 like this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

BTW, @Ingenieur has the 509x, so if you need anything measured or data.... :)

9. TheVinylAddict

BTW Harris, if I didn't own the Accuphase separates, I'd own the Lux separates.... I know, not what you asked about... but nice gear.

Harris11235 likes this.
  10. kumizi

kumizi Well-Known Member

What about the 590axii since your speakers are high sensitivity ?

Harris11235 likes this.
  11. Harris11235

That occurred to me too… looking at these because of the opportunity, and I know my Cornwalls like more power than they ‘need’

But maybe I’ve got that wrong, and both of these ~100w amps are overkill.

I do like the feature set of these higher end models

Bananas&blow, timind and jonwoody like this.
  12. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

A manufacturer that makes two products called 509 and 590 needs their heads examined. :crazy: That said Harris I am eagerly awaiting following your decision making process and some day soon some pictorial proof. ;) I've heard Luxman tubes, and really liked them but never any of their SS stuff sorry.

13. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

The 590 will put out 100 W

Agitater, Harris11235 and jonwoody like this.
  14. Harris11235

Would you suggest that over the 509 or 507?

15. Ingenieur

With the Klipsch the 590 will never leave Class A operation of 30 W.
    But honestly it comes down the the best deal. Used would not concern me.
    509 vs 507, likely 509, the 507 is basically the same with 1 less output stage and small xfmr, less headroom. But again, best deal.

I thought the 507 had a preamp stage feedback loop but I can't find it. It does have a slightly different primary feedback configuration.

OldandBroken, timind, adamos and 2 others like this.
  16. TheVinylAddict

Yes, plus 30W is a conservative rating, higher on bench tests I've read.

But I don't run Class A now in AZ, especially in summer, due to the extra heat / power bill. Harris is in MN, where heaters are welcomed to most rooms many months. :)

Many worry about clipping with Class A, but when you're talking Cornwall IV, a Lux 30W Class A should do just fine.

mreeter, jonwoody and Harris11235 like this.
  17. Ingenieur

All 3 put out some btu's at idle
    509x 150 W (Class A up to 7 W)
    590 260 W (!)
    507z 77 W (appears to not have any Class A operation)

[​IMG]

18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’d like to upgrade my 505uXII soon and have been considering the 509x vs. 507z too. FWIW I came across one article (and related forum post) comparing the two that preferred the overall sound of the 509x: The New Luxman L-507Z amplifier reviewed and compared. But I haven’t found much else yet.

The 509x has been my aspirational target for a while but when the 507z came out I got curious about the new line. And this post about the 507z from avanti caught my attention since those are the speakers that I have:
    The 509z should be available in the US soon too. That’s now at a higher price point unfortunately but it’ll be interesting to see how that compares with the 509x as well. There seems to be a lot of happy 509x owners out there.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    Bananas&blow and Harris11235 like this.
  19. Harris11235

In this case the 509 would be $432.66 less than the 507 (unless I can negotiate further).

509 is used from a guy that bought it new from the same dealer in 2021. Takes immaculate care of his gear. Everything is perfect.

507 is a demo model, open box deal plus another 10% off to 'twist my arm'.

I like the idea of the 509 - a little more robust as you pointed out, it has a tape loop, and the top plate is sexier.

No idea about the sound comparison between the two. I guess I could try to play my cards a little different and audition both in home.

But the 590 is starting to look good now too.

The only worry I had there is that 30wpc might not have enough grunt for other speakers down the road. Seeing that it actually puts out 95 into 8 ohm changes that.

It would probably be rare for me to use over 7w of the 590, which would make it effectively Class A for most listening (unless it's party time with friends).

So.... I'd get class A without the monster power consumption of the 590, plus more power if needed down the road.

Bananas&blow, jonwoody and adamos like this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

Can one still even purchase a new 509x still, readily available?

21. Harris11235

I don't believe so

22. TheVinylAddict

That's the right thinking... 30W into 8 ohm Class A although great for Cornwall, might not be great for a 4 ohm, 82db larger speaker down the road.

My class A possibles are all 60W into 8 ohm, doubling down all the way to 1 ohm.... with a 60W rating being conservative. Now *that* would get you more future proofed....

But 30W is not a great future proof strategy if you thought you might run a higher demand speaker later....

intensemojo, jonwoody and Harris11235 like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

I'll probably get eggs thrown at me, but I like the X line more than the more expensive Z line, but then again never heard the Z myself. Going on a few sources I've read, plus a couple folks I trust... there was a thread a few months back that had some discussion.... worth a read.

The 509x is a great integrated, no two ways about it. Many own one around here....

adamos likes this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I heard the Class A model (not sure which version) and it was too smooth and polite for my preferences. The 509x is better but still overly smooth and soft.
    The new 507z has more transparency and detail and is still velvety smooth, a much better midrange than either of the above. That would be my recommendation.
    Fun times for you!
    Truth be told, the CM may be the best sounding of the bunch.

Bananas&blow, mreeter, timind and 5 others like this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

I'm just floored you've heard them all!!! :)

timind and avanti1960 like this.