Lynyrd Skynyrd-An Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Inspired by The New Riders Of The Purple Sage & The Outlaws threads...

Lynyrd Skynyrd - An Open Discussion.
    Let's have some fun!
    I love them! been a fan since their debut...
    I play/played their songs on my players and on my guitar...great, great band...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Love them- wish I could go back in time and see them live back in the day!

3. Michael

yes! they were fabulous live!

vinyldad62 and Cool hand luke like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Weirdly enough, for the most part they are fairly new to me.
    Obviously Sweet Home Alabama, is really well known everywhere.
    I got Southern Surroundings on bluray in 5.1 not too long ago. Last week with encouragement from @Anthrax I got the deluxe One More From The Road.
    Excellent band

5. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Essential American rock of the 70’s- right up there with Aerosmith.
    The Swagger

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I assumed he did that on porpoise, kind of a suffern accent kind of thing.

MYQ1 likes this.
  7. Michael

you'll be hooked soon! lots of laughs...dig deep into this great band!

8. Michael

do you have anything to add to the thread other than an insult? if not, move on with your buddy...

Rockerbox likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I was blessed to have seen them in 3 different lineups :

1974 - with Ed King
    1976 - no 3rd guitarist
    1976 - with Steve Gaines

Spooky but true : When Ed visited Steve Gaines' grave, he learned they shared the exact same birthday.

10. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I saw Rossington Collins in The Paramount in Seattle but that is as close asI’ve seen them live....

pocofan, KipB, Groundhog713 and 8 others like this.
  11. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Finally saw the doc "If I Leave Here Tomorrow" a few weeks ago. Outstanding.
    Such heartbreak and tragedy in that band. Too bad that Gary and Artimus are so estranged.

12. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

"Well, we done blowed up another amp....."

Michael likes this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Random useless Skynyrd personal facts:

- One of my key fave bands growing up in the 70's.

- My introduction to them was hearing Sweet Home Alabama on the radio. All us kids in the neighborhood loved it. I bought that album on cassette and played it to death. Freebird was not even a hit yet (think that didn't get the airplay until after they broke with SHA despite it coming from the older album).

- Amusingly one of my friends titled that song "Neil Young we hate you" because of the Neil shoutout.

- Used to have a big Skynyrd poster hanging up in my bedroom at home.

- When I went to college and the plane crash happened I had tickets to see them back home on that tour. My mom sent me an article about the crash in the mail cutout of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

- That year was a bad one for rock & roll deaths. Keith Moon died around the same time IIRC.

- I learned about the crash at college, think one of my friends told me to sit down b4 he told me. I thought he was just making a sick joke to torment me though. Same as what happened with Keith.

- The album got pulled from the record stores at college b4 I could buy my copy (by that time I had graduated to buying LPs instead of cassettes). Had to settle eventually for the replacement cover when that came out but I was able to get an original cover release by ordering an import from the UK somehow (this is all pre-internet days obviously).

- Luckily I did get to see them, was one of those crazy outdoor fesitval gigs at JFK stadium on a summer day. Peter Frampton was the headliner. Can't remember all the acts, think it was something like Dickey Betts, J Geils, Skynyrd, then Frampton. Probably started around noon, musta got there in the morning. We sat on the field rather than in the stands. We bought some food the night b4, hoagies & such, at a local pizza place. There were some cute girls there (i 4get if they worked there or were other customers) who told us they were going also. Amazingly we found them on the field (or they found us) and setup right next to us. The stadium was a sea of teenagers partying & having fun for hours, bongs galore. Almost everyone crashed at the same time and were sleeping/lying down by the time Skynyrd came on. I stood up and jumped up & down in excitement but I could not stir my friends, they spent the set lying on their backs, some asleep. I stayed with my crew but one of my friends who was also a big fan decided to see how far up he could get to the stage and disappeared into the sea of humanity. When we hooked up again later he said that he got all the way right up to the foot of the stage. I regret not setting forth with him to get close up to this day.

Fun times!

- I did go to the reunion tour and thought it was great. I also find much to like from the reunion albums over the years despite it being a vastly different band.

- Pisses me off seeing the classic band go the way that they did, right at their peak, losing Ronnie & co. like that. Such a tragic waste & loss of life made all the more frustrating by how avoidable it was. That plane should never have been in service let alone for a band that should have been able to afford much better transport.

14. Cool hand luke

Head and antlers above Aerosmith. My opinion of course....

15. Michael

great stuff guys...thanks for posting.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Not intended as an insult by any means. Was just making a joke!!!

17. Cool hand luke

I recommend The Drive-By Truckers' "Southern Rock Opera" for an interesting telling of Skynyrd, Rock and Roll, and growing up in the South in the 70's.

Jmoog, lucan_g, RandyB1961 and 11 others like this.
  18. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Sweet Emotion vs. Sweet Home Alabama shootout!
    Sure I agree LS has more depth of course!

Michael and Cool hand luke like this.
  19. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Street Survivors FTW. Would've been great to see subsequent albums with Steve Gaines on board. I used to have a bootleg of a concert they did in Wales. Sound quality was excellent and the band smoked.

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I 4got to add. During our teenage musical discussions I made the statement that Freebird was "the greatest guitar song ever written" referring to the ending jam.

Most of my friends did not agree and I took endless grief over that comment. Think it morphed at times into comments to tease me like "that was the greatest pizza ever baked" or "greatest bong hit ever" or use your imagination.

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Grew up listening to these guys, as a kid. My folks saw them a few times, including Soldier Field in 1977.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

If you want it again, send me an IM

23. Cool hand luke

I will take Freebird over Stairway any day of the week. You were 100% correct in my book!

24. Michael

at my expense...we're cool my friend. ..enjoy the thread.

slipkid and bug2362 like this.
  25. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I admittedly don't listen to much of them outside of the classic rock staples, but Tuesday's Gone is one of my favorite songs ever, and of course Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama are timeless classics that I always enjoy. I also have mad love for Call Me the Breeze and that bad ass piano solo.