Lynyrd Skynyrd-An Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

enjoy the thread! and thanks...: )

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

I had the original first pressing with their tour schedule sheet...so sad and freaky that cover was...

marklamb and 2141 like this.
  3. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I remember getting this green 3-Cd box set when I was about 15 years old, this unreleased gem was immediately one of my favourites..I was lucky to discover their deeper cuts early on..now I've got em all on vinyl..

4. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

A funny part from one of the documentaries told by one of the band members (can't remember who)- Ronny was known around town as one of the real 'tough guys', and a fighter. He was starting his band and in need of someone that could play the ___(whichever instrument), he heard this younger kid played that instrument. So Ronny goes to the kid's house and knocks on the door, when the kid sees who it is he figures Ronnie is there to beat the **** out of him, but he just wants to recruit him..:D
    (That's how I remember it, someone might correct me and/or fill in the blanks)

5. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

I lack the 4th album and probably need to add the Muscle Shoals album as well. I never had First and Last.

I also have disc one from the 90's box set. "Junkie" sounds a lot like their British influences (which I like).

Edit: Yes, it appears that MS is the new First and Last.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    mark winstanley and Michael like this.
  6. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

It amazes me that this song doesn't get more attention. Radio just opts for the same half-dozen "hits" for the millionth time...

"Needle and the Spoon" is another favorite of mine.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think that's the thread that triggered this whole thing lol

Michael and Cool hand luke like this.
  8. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Love them and that also includes the period from their Southern By The Grace Of God / reunion album, 1991 and The Last Rebel. After that my interest started to wane. Expected my interest to peak again when they became a Southern Rock Supergroup by adding Ricky Medlocke and Hughie Thomasson but was disappointed by the outcome (although that was also partly caused by Hughie's early tragic death). I do not like the last couple of studio albums at all and their live shows are extremely predictable. The last 40 minutes completely identical for ages. Gary working his way through the songs... well it almost looks like he's memorizing the grocery list for the next morning. All new members hired guns who bring nothing new to the table or are not allowed to do so. Personally i think they should have quiet many years ago (after Billy and Leon died). If they would play on a festival that i visited anyway i might check them out but if there was another band of interest on another stage i would easily skip Skynyrd. All IMHO.

9. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Yes it was Allen. He climbed up in a tree.

Brettlowden and slipkid like this.
  10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Allen was scared of Ronnie.

Brettlowden likes this.
  11. Cool hand luke

I think they all were except for Artimus!

12. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Initially I think I knew them more for ‘play freebird” than their actual material, which is solid. Went to see them in 2017, and although it was very nearly Skynard in name only at that point the show itself was fun and worth seeing. I should pick up that extended One from The Road release at some point.

13. pool_of_tears

True. I meant back in the early days before the band was formed. Poor Allen climbed up a tree, to get away. He thought he was gonna get beat up

14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I'd say about equal.

15. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Ed King told a couple of interesting stories about Ronnie’s temper. Once in a rage he actually tried to throw a roadie off a plane in mid flight. Another instance where Ed made a suggestion to the group that Ronnie interpreted as stepping on his authority with the band. Apparently Ronnie grabbed him by the throat, pinned him against a wall and reminded him who the leader was.

artfromtex, slipkid and Doggiedogma like this.
  16. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yeah Ronnie was a bully and classic abuser, he loved his mates and would do anything for them, but if you cross him or don't do what he says. he will knock the stuffing out of you. Like a gang leader almost, once you're in, there is only one way out.

slipkid and Cool hand luke like this.
  17. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

The Rossington Collins Band albums are also worth a listen.

Barry Harwood is a great guitarist and singer. I think they could have been even bigger than they were if the vocal duties had been split more evenly between Barry and Dale.

slipkid, boboquisp, marklamb and 4 others like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

And if Allen's wife hadn't died, he wouldn't have spiraled downward and this band might've continued longer. This band had potential.

Brettlowden and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

That's the first Skynyrd album I ever heard, when I was 4. To me, it's my favorite. Side 1 is the perfect Skynyrd album side.

20. pool_of_tears

They played that during the 1987 and 1988 tours. A few shows were recorded in 1988. I'd welcome a release of one of the 1988 shows. The setlist was a little more varied.

MYQ1 and Cool hand luke like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

Aerosmith passed on the plane. It's been said they knew it wasn't good.

Michael, 2141, MYQ1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I know that they wanted to avoid any comparisons to Ronnie so they purposely went with a female lead singer in RCB, but I think Barry could have handled it without any issues since his style of singing was different compared to Ronnie’s.

23. pool_of_tears

Nah, keep it. I have a mint copy, which also has the Tour Of The Survivors flyer w/list of dates and order form for skynyrd merchandise.

2141 likes this.
  24. Cool hand luke

I think Allen was the biggest tragedy in the band. Man, what that poor guy went through.

25. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I went to college in the (US) South, and the classic rock station used to play a clip that said "Ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the playing of our national anthem", and then Freebird would start

I fell in love with the Allman Brothers early, got onto Skynyrd later - still love them both. Allmans had their renaissance in the 2000s with Warren Haynes and later Derek Trucks, so I have tons of the Instant Live discs. Wish I had more Lynyrd Skynyrd