Lynyrd Skynyrd-An Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Feb 27, 2021.

1. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

They made five studio albums. Three of them are great. The crash was sad and Street Survivors makes you wonder what could have been. Rossington Collins was a good idea and Dale had a great voice. The songs were never the same without Ronnie. One of the great rock lyricists. He kept it simple and to the point. The lack of great songwriting shows on the studio albums of the reunited Skynyrd.

2. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I got lucky and found one of those too, with that flyer. Kinda eerie, those dates that never came to be.

3. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Speaking of documentaries, when I was a kid and saw Grease in the cinema, before the main feature was a great Skynyrd documentary with no billing whatsoever. It just came on. Remember Ronnie was interviewed while fishing. Anyone else recall that? I went back to see it again, for the documentary more than Grease.

clhboa likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Going back and listening to the early Quinvy demos, spread across several sets (1991 box set, 2000 Collectybles set, 20003 Thyrty set), which I put on a cd-r, the guitar players were definitely influenced by a few English axemen...Paul Kossoff (Gary) and Eric Clapton (Allen).

5. pool_of_tears

That would be the Pepsi Tribute

texron, Robobob, artfromtex and 6 others like this.
  6. pool_of_tears

Nice! I found mine in 1990 and didn't realize the importance of having that original cover until later, when I was talking about it at a record show with a fellow collector.

2141 and Cool hand luke like this.
  7. Cool hand luke

Drive-By Truckers Ronnie and Neil

ARK, geodos and entropyfan like this.
  8. Cool hand luke

That was shown before Grease?! Wow....My older sister dragged me to that when it came out. I don't recall that being shown. Maybe my sister remembers.
    Thanks for posting, that was great!

Zack likes this.
  9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

big fan here. got to see them live back in the twice. first time opening for the who on the quadraphenia tour!. not much going on for them obviously as they just played a short set and needless the say folks were stoked to see the who. a year of so later they ( LS) played in philly again at if i remember correctly what was called a dance concert. it was three bands and there was no sitting on the arena floor , in this case the spectrum in philly. well LS played and they ended with a song that was not yet a concert and radio favorite. yup FREE BIRD! the place went bonkers , and they were amazing live for sure. i dig the original line up albums . one of america's greatest rock bands for sure. i also remember exactly where i was when i heard about the plane crash.

10. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I've just been listening to some of the non-album stuff- the guitars in 'Wino' and 'Lend a Helping Hand' are soo good, and reminded me of Clapton's Blind Faith period..

This thread got me digging, I just found the list you compiled for a Skynyrd thread many years ago- the complete Skynyrd recordings- I'm sure the people in this thread would love to have it as a quick reference!

11. pool_of_tears

Refresh my memory, I forgot all about that list :)

12. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

A great list of most (all?) of the non-album Skynyrd material, compiled by our fellow member 'pool_of_tears' !!
    (sorry but didn't copy the 'complete' list of albums, can be found with a quick search of Skynyrd in these forums):

Shade Tree Recordings 1968-70:
    Free Bird (Collectybles)
    Need All My Friends (Collectybles)
    Michelle (Collectybles)
    If I’m Wrong (Collectybles)
    No One Can Take Your Place (Collectybles)

Quinvy 1970 demos:

Need All My Friends (Collectybles)
    Michelle (Collectybles)
    Hide Your Face (Collectybles)
    Bad Boy Blues (Collectybles)
    Free Bird (1991 box set)
    Junkie (1991 box set)
    He’s Alive (1991 box set)

Sounds Of The South Demos:
    I Ain’t The One (1991 Box Set)
    Tuesday’s Gone (Pronounced 2001 remaster)
    Gimme Three Steps (Pronounced 2001 remaster)
    Poison Whiskey (1991 Box Set)
    Free Bird (Pronounced 2001 remaster)
    I’ve Been Your Fool (Best of The Rest)
    Gotta Go (Best Of The Rest)
    Mr. Banker [b-side] (Legend/Pronounced 2001 remaster)
    Down South Jukin [b-side] (1991 Box Set/Pronounced 2001 remaster)
    Take Your Time [b-side] (Legend/Second Helping remaster)
    Truck Drivin’ Man (b-side) (Legend/1991 Box Set)
    Was I Right Or Wrong (Second Helping remaster)

13. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I believe they had a dedicated pilot at that point who they sent to inspect it & he returned & said no way.

slipkid and Cool hand luke like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

That could be true. It wouldn't surprise me.

15. Cool hand luke

I remember hearing a quote once, something along the lines of "why would you put a million dollar band in a thousand dollar plane"

slipkid, E_Braunn_Fan and MYQ1 like this.
  16. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

It's mentioned in the Aerosmith book Walk This Way.
    A very good read.

ARK likes this.
  17. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

It makes me both sad and extremely upset thinking about what happened to them on that flight.

They were at the peak of their powers again as a band and I can only imagine what they could have done next.

18. pool_of_tears

I think I have read that. it has been a long time.

19. Cool hand luke

There was no other way they were headed but up. Heartbreaking is an understatement. And both Steve and Cassie? After she got him in the band? My God. It still upsets me too.

20. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Sure wish theyd release any of that Anaheim footage they have. Clearly they were filming throughout the entire set so its possible it could be a complete or near complete concert. It is the last known footage of the band, thry only played a few more gigs after this. They could make a pretty damn awesome release from this time period if they included Anaheim and the Fresno footage from the night before.

21. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

The survivor’s guilt that Gary and Allen must have felt is beyond comprehension. To have the four people sitting with you all pass, but somehow you survive must have been hard to deal with.

I believe that was one of the biggest factors, along with the death of his wife, to why Allen never seemed to be able to get past the crash.

It is a miracle that Gary is still alive today.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    slipkid, ARK and Cool hand luke like this.
  22. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

It was such an unnecessary and easily avoidable end to a great band and a tragic loss of life. We’re used to rock bands tearing themselves up over egos, infighting, and drug/alcohol abuse. This was different in that it could easily have been avoided. Maybe a better manager would have made a difference?

23. pool_of_tears

Smarter manager, smarter road manager and smarter band members. Sorry, I love this band but I can't mince words. They were scared but still got onboard. That is what tears me up. So what if Ronnie did tell them they're fired if they didn't get on. They could've staged a major coup and all said "nope, we ain't flying, have fun doing the show without us". Tons of what-if's.

24. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Ronnie said, "If it's your time to go, it's your time to go..."

BDC, artfromtex, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  25. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Saw them for the first time opening for The Who on the latter's original Quadrophenia tour...second time a couple years later, they raised the roof at SPAC (after unfurling the Confederate flag as a backdrop as they came on stage)...
    Third time a couple years after that, the alcohol was having its effect: many a sluggish tempo and not quite cold stops!?!?

Cool hand luke likes this.