Lynyrd Skynyrd-An Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Feb 27, 2021.

1. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

I lived with another family for a while when i was 15 and the kids had One More For/From The Road and used to play it constantly, the older kid told me the inside cover was everything they got from the floor after a concert, made sense at the time, i must've listened to this a thousand times, id put it up with all time great double live albums

[​IMG]

Pouchkine, ARK, marklamb and 3 others like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Comparing things doesn't mean trying to match them up. It means analysing them, identifying the differences, strengths and weaknesses,...
    It's useless to say that one was "better" than the other of course. Both friggin' amazing!

slipkid and classicrocker like this.
  3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The fact that I never said one was "better" than the other notwithstanding.

Purple Jim likes this.
  4. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Thanks for this list. Very helpful. These five songs I Bolded in the quote above (click to expand) are five of my favorite LS tracks; I didn´t realized they were all from this same source -- SoTS Demos). Great songs scattered to the four winds, especially I´ve Been Your Fool, which is killer and well recorded and was also on a 12 incher, 1982, IIRC?

5. Biscuit Warehouse

Biscuit Warehouse Forum Resident

Saw them 2 months later at Anaheim Stadium. With Nugent, REO, and Foreigner. My very first concert. Amazing. I couldn’t wait for the encore so I could yell “Free Bird!” when they asked “What song is it you wanna hear???”

They had us so whipped up during that ending (which really is one of - if not THE - rockingest last couple of minutes in music history) that the stadium was literally moving. We were watching the Club level bounce up and down next to the press box. They had to post something on the scoreboard during the song to try to calm everyone down.

Great time to be alive and be a kid.

And then a couple of months later, they were gone.

6. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Subject matter certainly not a problem these days on the radio lol...

Floatupstream and Cool hand luke like this.
  7. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

A significant fan here!
    I am not sure they are all that well-known over here across the pond, which is great shame.
    I've played their 70's album to death when I discovered them, especially Pronounced...Still love them all, though I think that "Give me Back my Bullets" is a bit below the rest.

Ronnie writes simple and direct lyrics, which is very welcome for non-native English speakers - you can easily understand what he wants to convey and identify with it. Simple Man will always send chills down my spine.

I love One From the Road, but sometimes regret the fact that Allen and Gary are basically playing transcriptions of the studio recordings with hardly anything new added. Ed and Steve are the ones that bring up the spice in live setting.

As a (self-taught) guitarist, they have been a significant influence and helped me to learn some chops.
    Here's my tribute to them - transcribed guitar parts from Sweet Home Alabama. I'll never get tired of Ed's solos in there (regardless of the classic rock radios!)

8. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Probaly was another Bill Graham show, he did so much for music around here.

Here was the lineup for the day I posted the vids
    I also went to this one in 79, another high light of my life, funny they both ended up filmed and on youtube.
    • Day On The Green #3: Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, St. Paradise (July 21, 1979).
      Also called "The Monsters Of Rock" show. Ted Nugent, Aerosmith and AC/DC's set has been bootlegged in video form. This was reputedly the only footage from any of the 1970s Day On The Green concerts to be available, (other film footage has been found, but not widely released - Fleetwood Mac from 1976 for one). It was somehow taken from the famous Bill Graham vault c2006-2007. Footage of Lynyrd Skynyrd performing "Freebird" at the 7/4/1977 Day on the Green can be seen in the documentary film "Freebird - The Movie"

slipkid and Doggiedogma like this.
  9. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

I have everything on that list bar the 2 tracks from Best Of The Rest. Amazing they weren’t added to Collectybles to round them up. The CD is long out of print and not available in lossless to download anywhere I can see.

marklamb likes this.
  10. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

11. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

"Give this piece of sh1t back to Aerosmith"

12. WHMusical

I have the Best of the Rest. Getting confused with this. Is that different from the ¨I´ve Been Your Fool" 12in?

My Fave Skynyrd Rekurd:
    [​IMG]
    And CD:
    [​IMG]

AintGotHalfOf and Chuckiebob like this.
  13. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

As far as I can tell, the 12inch just has the 2 unreleased tracks from Best Of The Rest.

WHMusical likes this.
  14. Trainspotting

Yeah, I still have that same Mobile Fidelity disc of Second Helping after all these years. Totally consistent album. Eight songs and all of them great.,

pool_of_tears and WHMusical like this.
  15. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I like Best Of The Rest.
    It or Tribute Tour was the first Skynyrd release I owned.
    A relative had previously loaned me Gold & Platinum.

16. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

May I ask which three you consider great?

17. Trainspotting

Ooh, ooo - can I take this one?

The first two and the last one.

The live one is great too by the way.

vesikirppu, Manalishi and egebamyasi like this.
  18. WHMusical

I know you didn't ask me, but I was just gonna post what TS posted above. General consensus being the first two are the stone cold classics, and the last one being a great return to form with the injection of the fresh new blood, guitar, and songwriting skills of Mr. Gaines--sadly departed too soon after joining LS--and the 3rd and 4th albums, which both have some great songs, but, the absence of Ed King, seemed to change the sound, strong consistency across the whole record, and fame and touring ending the band's early hungry "Harmony."

YMMV!

speedracer likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What he lacked in stature he made up in crazy. I dont think Ronnie gave a f. He also had that low center of gravity build that probably could mow you over. I think the entire Van Zant clan kind of had a rep around town for being brawlers.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  20. WHMusical

Yes, Stout AND Sturdy!

Think: Roger Daltrey.

Now that would be rumble-tumble.

Might be a chip on the shoulder thing too.

I would not wanna be on the wrong side of these Blokes!
    [​IMG]

BDC, AintGotHalfOf and mpayan like this.
  21. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Lynyrd Skynyrd were the best, no other band like them. The triple guitar attack of Rossington, Collins and Ed King (and later Steve Gaines) was a monster and Ronnie Van Zant was one of a kind, a smart redneck who loved to confound people's expectations of what a Southern Man was.

Even though Ronnie owned guns, he admits that all they are is killing machines and suggests we dump them in the sea.

He calls out Neil Young by name for Neil's anti-South stance, then becomes buddies with him. Can you find Neil Young's face on the cover of the last original Skynyrd album? Look on Ronnie's chest.

Sweet Home Alabama is an anti-racist song, despite what some folks think:
    * Ronnie praises Muscle Shoals and The Swampers, a group of white men who made huge contributions to black music (some people call that miscegenation).
    * "In Birmingham, they love the governor / Boo, boo, boo!" - Ronnie and the (black) backup singers don't support George Wallace, they're booing him.
    * "Watergate does not bother me / Does your conscience bother you?" - Ronnie asks America how they like the (crooked) president they just re-elected.
    * Over Billy Powell's piano solo at the end, Ronnie says "My, Montgomery's got your answer!" Montgomery, Alabama is one of the cities that birthed the Civil Rights Movement.

It's too bad Ronnie isn't around today, we sure could use him. Maybe he could even take his band back.

cageyc, BDC, poolie and 11 others like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Skynyrd rocks!
    Thanks @Michael for starting this thread.

BDC likes this.
  23. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

"* "Watergate does not bother me / Does your conscience bother you?" - Ronnie asks America how they like the (crooked) president they just re-elected."

That doesn't make a whole lotta sense. If it's a putdown of Nixon why wouldn't Watergate bother him A LOT?

Wow for 40 years without even thinking about it, I thought he was singing 'why don't we dump ALL people to the bottom of the sea', meaning 'wreckless gun owners' lol

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, you just never can tell about guys and their size sometimes. My dad was under six foot tall, probably weighed all of 175 lbs. Skinny looking fella really. And very calm/passive guy. Yet I recall some stories about oilfield rig encounters that didnt turn out well for a few worms. He went through WW2 and worked rigs for 30 yrs. A different kind of tough that couldnt be judged by his stature. He popped me one time and I was on the floor before I knew what hit me. Fast little guy lol. All I saw was his fist going back after he hit knocked the hell out of me. I deserved it btw. And the only time he ever hit me. Never had a spanking or whippin from my dad before or after.

Anyway, yep, dont always judge a book by its cover. Look at their eyes after youve pissed them off. If you get a chance before youre laying on the ground.

slipkid, tonyballz, WHMusical and 2 others like this.
  25. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Thanks for this thread. A great, great band and so much better and deeper than their classic rock staples. Some older friends saw them live and still rave about their legendary shows. I was too young when they were touring, but did get to see the Rossington-Collins band play live around '80 or '81. I recall reading somewhere that Ronnie was influenced by the Who as much or more than the Allmans. If any of the hard-core Skynyrd fans can shed some light?