Lynyrd Skynyrd - Knebworth ‘76 coming to CD, DVD, BluRay and Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Back in 2015, in a locked thread, @Purple Jim had this to say about Lynyrd Skynyrd’s celebrated gig at Knebworth in 1976.

Jim, you and other fans can now celebrate because Eagle Rock will release the gig as a CD/DVD set (CD/BluRay and 2LP/DVD sets will also be made. Right now, all the versions are being readied for an April 9 release date. Not sure at this time whether this will be remixed, remastered, with or without overdubs. As always patience is key.

2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up jlf! Let's hope they include Freebird this time around, put the gig in the correct running order and remove the overdubbed crowd noise!

3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I'll be getting this for sure!!!

Stones Blah, longdist01, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. :pineapple:

Any live preorder links?

longdist01 and clhboa like this.
  5. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

I like the part in the free bird movie where someone from LS says "we kicked the stones ass that day"

6. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Amazing news and hopefully like @Purple Jim said they will clean up the sound and remove the ridiculous fake crowd noise. This is a damn fine show and a nice companion to One More From The Road with a video component. Also yes as a stand alone Freebird has to be there, would be a huge disappointment if it is not.

I was just thinking this yesterday actually about how long it has been since something from the pre crash band was released. Back in the 2000's it seemed like every year or two some kind of archival thing was released, but it has been quite awhile now, I can't even remember for sure what the last release was. Perhaps the deluxe Street Survivors around about 2008? Maybe the Sweet Home Alabama DVD that had those Rockpalast '74 tracks or possibly the authorized bootleg cd's from Winterland and Cardiff? Either way it's been probably a decade. I think the only thing to come to light since was the very brief fan shot footage from Buffalo '74 in the documentary they released. And it's not due to a lack of material. Obviously there is this Knebworth stuff. But there is still the Anaheim '77 footage and audio used for the Pepsi tribute that at the moment stands as the last ever film/audio of the band live. Potentially there is more of Oakland '77, the two Winterland and Asbury Park films could be cleaned up and there is the Fresno '77 stuff that has been surfacing in pieces on youtube. And who knows what else, there has long been rumours of a Japan '77 show existing and I've always wondered about Cow Palace '73, obviously the cameras were there and running for The Who and Graham being an avid filmer/recorder maybe he turned them on for Skynyrd's opening set?

Anyways just great to see some archival stuff start to come to light again, hopefully this release is done right because it's an amazing show!

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Interesting... I may have a look at this.
    I only have the Southern Surroundings bluray, but I enjoy it.... and I assume Skynyrd take it up a notch live

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The "Freebird-The Movie" DVD had the annoying configuration of placing Sweet Home Alabama from Knebworth in the Bonus section! Stupid! On the original VHS version however, the song was within the documentary and went with the flow.

Shvartze Shabbos and clhboa like this.
  9. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

longdist01 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

11. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Almost the entire gig was on Freebird: The Movie. Great to see it get a standalone release though!

I played the CRAP outta that when I was a kid!!!

12. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

Awesome ! Great to get a whole pre crash show with the dvd ! Definite purchase

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow! this may be the best release of the year so far! cannot wait.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks for the headsup! All last month I was on a Skynyrd Bendyr. I was watching the Freebird movie and If I Leave Here Tomorrow (another good doc of the band) Watching the concert footage sure made me yearn for a proper release and I was scowering youtube to find it. Doesnt exist. On youtube anyway.

Great to see that its finally being released. I want to see Ronnie push his mules on to that tongue in all its glory :cool:

"Who The F*** Are The Rolling Stones anyway?"

:D

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

warewolf95, longdist01 and Purple Jim like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Awesome news thanks!

(P.S. I wonder if the Target version or versions have any of their exclusive bonus B.S. Need to know that b4 I buy it elsewhere and end up having to buy it again...)

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. Unlikely given it’s an eagle vision release and Bull Moose has it up too.

warewolf95 and slipkid like this.
  18. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Just preordered from the Moose. Thanks.

19. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Fantastic news!!! This could most certainly be the best release this year!! Praying its done properly!!

warewolf95, longdist01, Sean and 2 others like this.
  20. Nice! :righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. meterman

meterman Senior Member

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" The Blu-ray also contains the feature-length documentary If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd. CD + Blu-ray. "

23. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Great news, they were on fire that day. The clip of Freebird on Youtube was jaw-dropping. I think that if Ronnie didn't stop him, Allen woulda played for another 20 minutes.

HotHere, Dusty Sommers and longdist01 like this.
  24. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Does anyone have a track list?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.