M*A*S*H Memories

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

There are early episodes where he shows signs of this.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

You're right about the movie Radar. A completely different character. But then again all the movie characters were much different than their television counterparts. Donald Sutherland's Hawkeye and Alan Alda' s Hawkeye are worlds apart and I can't say which I prefer.

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The following were posted on a different website I frequent... Since they're M*A*S*H related, I thought some of you might get a kick out of them:

Attention all personnel - I dressed some dolls

PS: I'm not the guy who made them, so I can't tell you anything about them other than what's already in the thread....

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Interesting. I've actually never seen the movie in its entirety. Only a few parts of it.

5. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Radar's character was beefed up for the show. There was another character, Sgt. Vollmer, who would give Blake the updates on what went on while Blake was away. Radar got those scenes. Also over the long term was given the innocent scenes that would have gone to Boone.

Even Burns in the movie and the TV show was a combination of two characters from the book, Frank Burns and Hobson.

I suppose Blake was also beefed up by putting him in the OR and getting rid of Duke Forrest.

6. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the person who made all the camp announcements was never seen, right? It always seemed like it should have been Radar doing that but it never was (well, maybe a few times, but when he did it, the camera was on him, not the external camp set).

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Several actors, who also appeared in some episodes, did the voice-over-the P.A. announcements. One was the guy with the supposed big nose in "Operation: Noselift", Todd Sussman. Another was the guy who was headed home in "Dear Sigmund" and was injured in the ambulance accident. His name is Sal Viscuso.

9. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

MeTV will show “Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen” (the final episode) on Nov 11. It will air in a three hour slot and include interviews with cast members (I believe those interviews were done for the DVD a number of years ago).

mmars982, GodShifter and j_rocker like this.
  10. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

"It's nice to be nice to the nice"

"I've been a practicing surgeon for 12 years"
    "When do you think you'll be ready to operate?"

"I think a little youth would be nice for a change"

musicarus likes this.
  11. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

There are some great throwaway lines on the show, but they don't seem to get much attention. Fr. Mulcahy seems to have a lot of those. Like in the episode where they are trying to push over the ambulance. He says "I'll get over here by the cross." I love it!

12. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've watched a few episodes lately: A Full Rich Day, Big Mac, Iron Guts Kelly. Choosing the best of Season 3!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. John54

John54 Senior Member

One of the funniest scenes (I forget which episode) is when Margaret is trying to mend a brassiere, and she uses Frank as a dummy. Then Radar comes to the tent door, and Frank, who is lost in thought, goes to answer it ... ! :biglaugh:

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I don't mind the Father Mulcahy character (nor do I mind William Christopher who portrayed him), but I don't really think he was a strong enough, or essential enough, character to be made a full-time cast member... He was good as a secondary figure, but I think it wasn't really necessary to have him there "all the time"... Even when he was made a full-time character, it seems like he was still second tier, as most stories still revolved around Hawkeye, BJ, Charles, Margaret, and Potter...

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

All-time favourite Frank Burns line. I've used it myself on occasion.

musicarus, wayne66 and JakeKlas like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I always found Father Mulcahy character to be rather dull.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Although it's a great comedic idea, the early episode with Radar mailing himself a jeep piece by piece is really out of character with whom his character would become soon after.

18. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

The living arrangements don't make a lot of sense to me. Three (and originally four at least) doctors shared one tent. A major and two captains. The head nurse, also a major, gets her own tent.

Radar seemingly didn't even get a tent but just stayed in his office and was never off-duty.

Didn't Klinger have his own tent?

Meanwhile....while they probably couldn't have sustained all the minor characters in the early episodes (Ugly John, Spearchucker, etc), I wish they hadn't completely gotten rid of them either. I think we never see an anesthesiologist again.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I believe the idea of him mailing a jeep piece by piece home was something a couple of soldiers actually did while in Korea. I guess Radar seemed like the best candidate to do it in the show. He was much more crafty in the earlier episodes; more true to how he was in the movie.

20. HGN2001

He seemed to share one with "Boots" Miller in that one episode.

21. HGN2001

22. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

It seemed like everyone on the show had their own tent except for the Swamp and the generic nurses tent, where they crammed in about 5 nurses into a tent the size of Margaret's single size.

23. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

My guess is that was artistic license. Cram 3 doctors into one tent (one of whom is the odd man out) and you have the source of a lot of crazy antics. If they have their own tents, then then mess tent or Rosie's becomes the center of action. That means no poker games, still, blackmailing the odd person, discourse with Frank/Charles, etc.

Not to mention it was that way in the movie.

But yea, one would think the US Army had a couple of extra tents for officers.

GodShifter and j_rocker like this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

25. HGN2001

With M*A*S*H, it's best not to get too logical, or attempt to force the show into some sort of realism. It's escapist entertainment, and there was a lot of artistic license taken with the details. There are so many things in the show that when watched over and over like we do, just pop out as totally unrealistic. Like there are only four doctors, yet we hear of other shifts. Where are these other doctors? Wars have lulls, but can they really afford to send two of their doctors to Tokyo? What if the war suddenly returns while two surgeons are away? There are only about eight beds in post-op that we can see. Where to they put the overflow patients when they have those 24-hour deluge shifts?

(Yes, I'm aware that the overcrowding was addressed a couple of times, one with makeshift bunkbeds being constructed, etc.)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.