M*A*S*H Memories

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

This sort of thing illustrates how M*A*S*H, despite how radical it may have originally seemed, was still very much a product of its time. The idea of sitcom hyper-continuity wouldn't become a thing until shows like the Simpsons built their own universe.

One thing I definitely remember is that, even back in the 70's, M*A*S*H was often criticized and nitpicked for failing to accurately reflect what it purported to depict, such as history, or reality. People with military backgrounds couldn't get past the non-military haircuts, and of course the idea that the series lasted something like three times as long as the actual war itself. If memory serves, the author of the original series of M*A*S*H novels (on which the Altman film was based) hated the series. I don't recall anybody with the production ever apologizing for these things.

I remember discussion back in the day that that the series was intended to be metaphorical, that the series wasn't even meant to be a show about war, but rather a breakdown of the human condition or some such thing. Maybe it was--again, I'd need to dive into the show again and see what I think of it now.

It's also been quite some time since I've seen the Altman film--it was one of the first movies I ever rented on VHS, mostly because I recall it constantly being shown on local TV back when the show was on the air, but absolutely butchered--no attempt at all to ADR the profanity or anything, and a nasty splice during the Hot Lips/shower scene which implied (to my fourteen-year-old-mind) that the theatrical audience saw far more of Sally Kellerman than they actually did.

I heard a podcast a couple of years ago where a film critic tore apart the Altman film, based primarily on that scene--she pointed out that Hot Lips was publicly and sexually humiliated for the amusement of Hawkeye and Trapper, that the doctors suffer absolutely no consequences for the incident, and that Henry blows her off when she attempts to report the incident. Maybe that critic had a point--but I'd need to see the film again to be sure. Altman's films are seldom that reductive--which isn't to say they're never that reductive.

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

That's how I generally look at the last five seasons

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Actually Cheers had done it earlier, but what really created this atmosphere was VCRs and especially DVDs allowing binge-watching, where even the least attentive viewer would notice continuity errors. Binging also killed off repertoiry casting (Virginia Gregg and Stacy Harris constantly in Dragnet, John Anderson or Chris Alcaide as the heavy in The Riflenan, etc)

From my experience vets are some of the biggest fans of MASH, as it lampoons military bureaucracy and muleheadedness

The Republican Hornberger knocked the series for Alda's mushy liberalism, but he really hated the terrible deal he got -- a small lump payment for the film rights, and nothing my from the series.

Same with Altman. Publicly dissed the show as a vulgarization of his film, but admitted to Larry Gelbart at a party that it was because he got no money from it -- or the film, aside from his $25K directors fee. Altman claimed in his Playboy interview that film producer Into Preminger had made $5M from the series even before it ceased production.

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

A good general rule for the series. Watch the Hot Lips episodes, and avoid the ones with "Margaret"

5. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Yea I wouldn't be that harsh but I do prefer the henry and trapper series

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The whole series, start to finish, is classier than most any other series out there, despite the inconsistencies which are fun to spot and point out, but really don't detract from any of the stories.

So Hawkeye references a mother or a different hometown. It's not important. If he had a mother, he'd miss her. And all soldiers miss their hometowns, wherever they are. I can settle in and watch just about any episode of M*A*S*H and be entertained, whether its through laughter or pathos. Yeah, there are times when B.J.'s whining gets to be a bit much, and Alda's liberalism gets a bit over the top. But by and large there's almost always a b-story or something else to grab onto in one of those type episodes.

Regarding the "Hawkeye" episode, there are times when I see it as a chore to watch, and other times when it it quite a tour de force. Yes, it's all about him, and in his ramblings there are some brilliant lines as he attempts to both stay conscious and communicate with the Korean family. Give it a chance. It's not as bad as its reputation.

I enjoy the cast changes throughout the years, as the comings and goings in a military unit are probably a lot like that in real life. It's sort of refreshing to see the changes of command, and the changes of other personnel, all keeping the show somewhat fresh.

As far as the ending episode, I don't know what you folks expected. I thought it was pretty well perfect, and a memorable episode on which to end the series. How would you have ended it?

7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Not only that, but Duke Forrest cops off with her afterwards. Job done, boys... :eek:

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

My goodness a lot of Alan Alda dislike on this thread. I thought it was superb right up to the end, maybe earlier episodes were funny, but the series always had it's heart in the right place, and was amazingly consistent throughout it's extremely lengthy run despite a large number of significant cast changes.

Jack Lord, Bluesman Mark and HGN2001 like this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Exactly. Hornberger made a point of saying the focus of his book was not to be anti-war in the heavy-handed manner as the series (the book is anti-authority and anti-Army more than anti-war). Also, it's clear from reading the three MASH books he actually wrote that Hornberger would have DESPISED the concept of political correctness. But I think if he'd had a financial interest in the series, he would have felt at least a little differently.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Given the writers they had on staff at that point, the finale was exactly what I expected and as good as could be expected from that group. I like it for what it is... an episode in the same melodramatic vein as the final few years of the series, but better-written than average.

If I'm gonna be critical though, I'd say it might have been better not to feel the need to give so many of the characters a Major Turning Point in their lives. And the Dead Baby story is pretty heavy-handed and as melodramatic as the series ever got, and I agree with Ken Levine (who rejected that plot when he was co-showrunner in seasons 6-7) that it's over-the-top in its darkness. It would have been nice if the finale was funnier also, but since the comedy had gotten pretty corny and broad in the final few years, they didn't really have the staff to punch it up.

11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

My rule of thumb was if Klinger was not wearing a dress, change the channel. Probably about the same time-frame.

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

So you prefer Jamie Farr in a dress? Okay...

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Not from me.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Sure, why not? Didn't you like his legs?

smilin ed and Bluesman Mark like this.
  15. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I dunno, his nose always overshadowed them, so I couldn't tell......

Spaghettiows likes this.
  16. I would not have sent Hawkeye away for almost the entire show! All those years of watching and instead of seeing Hawkeye celebrating with his friends that the war is over we got 2 1/2 hours of Hawkeye at the shrink's office. I was rather disappointed. I would behave preferred that they threw the party to end all parties and then maybe did a little bit on what happened to the main characters after the war.

smilin ed and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

All things considered, Cpl Klinger was ahead of his time. Nowadays he would be promoted rather than ignored or derided. :D

smilin ed likes this.
  18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Final episode was actually 2 hrs long (from memory), commercials added the extra half hour presumably.

19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

They did the party thing when they thought the war was ending back in S1.

20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

From the episode where they treat a soldier for a leg wound and it turns out he ' s a great cook :
    The soldier's in the mess tent with Klinger serving food to Hawkeye and BJ. Enter Winchester:
    Winchester : " ( sniffing the aroma ) Parmagian !The meat is a mystery but definitely parmagian !......Klinger , at this moment I envy you your nose! "

21. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I remember the last episode,it was sad............ (Tearing down the camp and all)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Alan Alda was generally a fine actor on the show. It was his writing/directing that left something to be desired.

The finale was a mixed bag for me. I hated the dead baby thing. I liked the Charles subplot and the goodbye dinner. The Mulcahy subplot seemed pointless. But I loved the last scene with Hawkeye flying out of there in a helicopter - it was a nice bookend to the opening credits.

GodShifter and Bluesman Mark like this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

[QUOTE="Kyle B, post: 22345807, member: 105281"

The finale was a mixed bag for me. I hated the dead baby thing. I liked the Charles subplot and the goodbye dinner. The Mulcahy subplot seemed pointless. But I loved the last scene with Hawkeye flying out of there in a helicopter - it was a nice bookend to the opening credits.[/QUOTE]
    It was indeed a very mixed bag.
    Actually I liked the long kiss/embrace between Margaret and Hawkeye. No words necessary. A true love/hate relationship.

24. Bluesman Mark

Not counting the commercials, it was set up, (salary wise), as five half hour episodes, which fit in a two & a half hour time slot. It was originally supposed to fit into a two hour time slot, (equivalent to four half hour episodes), but they had so much story, (perhaps too much), that Fox approached CBS about fitting it all into a two & a half hour time slot. CBS agreed, (after all, it made financial sense to do that, because they could sell more ads & keep the audience longer, most of the entire prime time schedule that night in fact), so they called everyone back to film the additional scenes, & they were compensated as if it were another half hour episode.

25. Bluesman Mark

BTW, for those that have asked how to get the final 2 & 1/2 hour episode, the recently reissued complete series on DVD includes it, plus the Robert Altman movie, usually for under $100. I got mine at Walmart for $70:

[​IMG]

slowhand1964 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.