M*A*S*H Memories

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Nice collection. Extras?

2. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Other than the finale & the original movie, no there isn't. The extras that were on two discs in the 2006 complete collection aren't included on this one.

3. Wildest cat from montana

I'm just curious...does it have the option to play the episodes without the canned laughter? I prefer watching them that way.

4. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

The best, and funniest, thing about the finale was Klinger staying in Korea.

I also liked his line (I think it was in the finale) 'Vietnam? Where's that?'

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

After reading this thread, I’m not too motivated to see the final episode and I’m okay with that.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

Well...you should watch it. It completes the story for what it's worth.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I guess, but if I’ve gone this long .... :shrug:

8. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

I definitely remember that as the airdate of the final episode approached, and the hype began to snowball, there was an announcement that the final episode would only be broadcast a single time.

After it aired (and my memory is somewhat fuzzier about this) but I seem to recall it was released to home video relatively quickly after broadcast, maybe 1983 or so--back when a pre-recorded movie on VHS cost something like a hundred bucks, and video rental stores were not quite yet a thing.

9. Bluesman Mark

I think so but I'm not sure. I'm so used to the laugh track that it honestly doesn't even register anymore.

10. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I used to love the show and recently i've been trying to rewatch the series and i have to say i now find some things in it a little cringeworthy.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Remarks like, "I want to rape your nape,"for instance?

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I may be the odd one out but I rarely enjoyed radar's character.
    I found him to be impossibly precious, predictable and at times wooden and was he given the least funny lines or was it the delivery,?

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I found one episode (that coincidentally I can't recall seeing too many re runs of) remarkably different to all others in that it was so stark, bleak, thought provoking and just a little unsettlingly scary.

I think it was dream sequences, Winchester puts on an O.R. show so his neglected patient died, Margaret is marrying a young soldier & then it is all blood and death & Hawkeye is in a canoe and has no arms as he floats helplessly past horror (child?) casualtites if war!

Anyone care to comment or have some background on this?

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

My least favorite episode.

Although the on where they find the baby and try to find it a home comes close.

15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I myself have never seen the finale in total. I cannot remember why I did not watch it when it aired. I have happened upon it twice at random while being rerun. Both times I came in late and missed a huge chunk.

Strange as I was and remain a big fan of the early ones and stayed loyal as it became more serious. I think the end coincided with college absorbing my attention.

One of these days maybe ...

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The episode called "Dreams". This was one of the episodes that got a Close-Up in TV Guide for being a little daring in terms of the show's normal format. I usually love shows with dream sequences and this one was no exception. It's one of my favorite episodes as it shows the deeper, underside of the 4077th's psyche by letting us peek in on their dreams. All of them were meant to be a little unsettling, and for the most part, they were. If you're looking for hi-jinx at the front, this is not the episode to watch.

Other special, "different from normal", episodes were the one with the point-of-view of the injured soldier, the one with the clock in the corner, and of course the black & white interview shows.

17. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I think Radar has one of the funniest lines in the series, when he spys Russians sneaking in the camp and tries to tell Col. Potter. Radar is having a hard time getting it out and Potter says "Bolsheviks!" To which Radar replies, "No, honest!"

18. HGN2001

MeTV occasionally airs the final episode. It usually coincides with the end of their cycle of episodes and they make a special night of it. I own two different DVDs of it. It came with the Season 11 set that was the first issued. Then they came out with a "Martinis and Medicine" full-series set that included a bunch of extras. Loyal fans like myself who had bought all of the season sets were upset that these extras were only available to the new set buyers. 20th then offered a 3-disc set that included the finale on one disc and the extras on the other two. This set was offered separately and I bought one of those too. The extras include:

"Just the FAQs" interactive trivia game
    M*A*S*H: Television's Serious Sitcom as seen on BIOGRAPHY on the A&E Network
    Blooper reel
    My Favorite M*A*S*H promo spots
    Cast interviews and clips from the last day of filming
    Jocularity compilation featurette

M*A*S*H: 30th Anniversary Reunion documentary
    Memories of M*A*S*H documentary
    Unproduced episode script: Hawkeye on the Double
    Fan Base
    featurette

jtsjc1 likes this.
  19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

This was a Klinger reply ("No, it's the truth!") to Henry Blake

20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The early Radar has some of my favorite lines.

Burghoff's delivery is perfect on this one:

FLAGG: "I'll be undercover as Rabbi Goldberg, a Jewish chaplain -- you got that soldier???"

RADAR: "Er, uh... yes, Your Hebrewness."

21. Bluesman Mark

Update: the newest package does offer the option of a laugh track or not.

22. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

When I originally got the Martinis And Medicine box one of the best things they did was to be able to kill the damn laugh track. I think I heard that same laugh track throughout the entire 1970's!

23. Wildest cat from montana

[QUOTE="HGN2001, post: 22349463, member: 1394"

Other special, "different from normal", episodes were .......the one with the clock in the corner, [/QUOTE]
    Watching this particular episode on tv is a frustrating experience.
    All the episodes are severely edited and shortened when they are shown and this one really suffers from this. The 'clock ' jumps because scenes are hacked out.

Grand_Ennui and Bluesman Mark like this.
  24. HGN2001

The original season releases always had that option to watch without the laugh track.

Grand_Ennui, jtsjc1 and cloggedmind like this.
  25. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

And I quote:
    "Hoo-hoo, ha-ha!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.