Mac OS Photos not updating

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

...and surprisingly, I cannot find threads about this. Open Photos on my MacBook Air, last photo is Monday morning and this is Thursday night, with numerous things missing in between (even though it says "updated 4 minutes ago). What the heck? Does stuff only upload when plugged in to a charger and WiFi? My friend who works at the store told me in the past that's not true any more. ???

Frustrating that so often I end up texting photos or videos to myself in order to use them.

2. Sounds more like Photos works correctly, but your pictures aren't uploaded from your iPhone to iCloud. Have you checked the settings in your iPhone?

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sign out of iCloud on all devices, sign back in.

charlie W likes this.
  4. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I find that Apple products are becoming harder and harder to work with ... I have an iPhone, iMac and MacBook Pro, and syncing between the three of them is a lesson ion futility. Don't even get me started on Apple Music which has been neutered of its original technology, back in the day when you could easily drag in and create playlists and have them sync across the spectrum. I long for the days when I had an old school iPod with 260 gB of memory to hold all of my playlists together.

Photos and videos are another beast altogether... why does the format of a photo change if you airdrop it into another Mac platform?

5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I just took a photo on my iPhone, and soon as fast as I could open Photos on my Air, it was there. In the past, there was a delay before the photo was available, but that hasn't happened for a while.

I have had issues with Messages not updating on my Air. Usually, synching between my iPhone, iPad, and Air is seamless. Sometimes, the Air doesn't get the Messages. If I restart the machine, then all is good again. I haven't noticed that problem for a month or so.

As they used to say on The IT Crowd, "Have you turned it off and back on again?"

head_unit likes this.
  6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Same problem here. iPhone updates immediately, MacBook not at all... or not yet.

head_unit likes this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Because older Macs don't natively support the .heic image extension format that you're using to capture images via your iPhone (you can switch this back to .jpeg in your iPhone's Settings->Camera). The sending devices is smart enough to know that the destination device can't support .heic, so it automatically converts for you. If it didn't behave this way, there would be millions of upset and confused people.

head_unit, will_b_free and RolandG like this.
  8. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I guess that isn't happening for me. I save time and just screen capture the .heic ...what was the point to change it with a different extension format?

9. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The screen capture won’t be the same size as the pic, just so you know.

As for heic, it is half the storage size and almost as good quality as a jpg. Though almost nothing supports heic so you may want to set your phone’s camera settings to”most compatible” (Apple’s term for jpg) rather than “high efficiency” (Apple’s term for the obscure heic format).

(Side note: Apple really is getting like Microsoft in not stating things plainly.)

SamS and masswriter like this.
  10. head_unit

oh yes :(

11. head_unit

Oh! Where is that? I don't see it under Settings --> Photos

12. head_unit

Which settings in particular?

13. head_unit

I've done that on the various computers, due to problems with Messages not all syncing. Maybe haven't done it on the iPhone-if you do that, doesn't your downloaded music delete? And then you have to re-download it all?

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

When you sign out of iCloud, you’re given the choice to keep or delete downloaded content.

head_unit likes this.
  15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

[​IMG]

head_unit likes this.
  16. head_unit

Hey I really appreciate the pictures! DONE! Now if only I can find the "unclip and uncompressed bad mastering" setting...Death Magnetic looking at you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.