Macon woman wants a statue of Little Richard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Timmy84, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GimmieSomeTruth

GimmieSomeTruth Well-Known Member

Sorry man but that's not spinning history. The fact is the civil war had do with much more than slavery. Majority of those soldiers were not fighting to keep slaves. Again, 4% of the population owned slaves . The other 95% of the population where building families and trying to survive. And at no point did i suggest we "celebrate" the monument

colgems1966 likes this.
  2. DarreLP

DarreLP Forum Resident

ianuaditis and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  3. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Many reasons for sure, including perceived economic injustice, Northern legislative dominance (which ironically was a fear the North had of the South in 1850, with the introduction of the Fugitive Slave Act), but primary reason was preservation of slavery as a way of life in the South,
    and was the foremost reason why the South seceded.

It was estimated that 32% of whites in the more sparsely populated South owned a slave.
    It was seen as a status symbol, and upward mobility to own one.
    Fear was used to get others to sign on, stated that if slaves were freed and allowed to vote, the white population would become an instant minority in some southern states. Another factor was it was essentially the only way of life that those born in the south had known.

States rights arguement was later advanced in order to defend the sacrifice, but this was not true for the most part.
    4 southern states wrote causes of secession articles, and the lack of federal support and the recalcitrance of northern states in growing numbers, to support the fugitive slave act, thus the institution of slavery was the main reason. (SC was split between 3 reasons)

Essentially the South wanted expanded federal powers to support the rights of slave states (primarily the future right to expand slavery to new states) and were upset with some northern states (and their rights as individual states) that had decided to ignore the Supreme Court and federal government to enforce the fugitive slave act.

This history is deep, and full of some really interesting stories and anomalies, a few being blacks did owned slaves at the time, Delaware and Maryland were slave states, yet didnt secede.
    Another was the North fought the war to preserve the Union, not to destroy the institution of slavery.
    Lincoln was quoted whether it freed all slaves, no slaves, or some and not others, as long as the Union survived,
    that was all that really mattered to him.
    The South miscalculated the will and resolve of Lincoln and the Northern states to preserve the Union.

But the fact is, the South had 4 options on the table, 3 to stay in the Union and try to resolve the issue, and they took the 4th option of seceeding upon the election of Lincoln. But for sure the South had tied up a ton of legislation, got favorable rulings from the Supreme Court to uphold their rights to their way of life.

ianuaditis, Hey Vinyl Man and DarreLP like this.
  4. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

As I New Yorker who has lived in the south for over thirty years I was quite surprised at the Confederate heritage I encountered. I first lived in Brooksville, Florida. The city is named after Preston Brooks, best known for beating Charles Summner, an abolitionist senator almost to death w his cane on the floor if the US Senate. He later traveled around selling signed canes. The old courthouse in town has a large tree in front once used for lynchings. I now live in a county where one of the small communities is known for not allowing African Americans to live or visit. African Americans that I know never go there. Don’t get me wrong, I grew up in Yonkers, NY, a city that had, or still has, a reputation as a very racially divided city with areas that non whites simply aren’t sold homes. I can certainly support those who say that these monuments are tributes to a racist past. Taking these monuments down is not erasing the past. I’m a retired history teacher. The history is not erased by removing these monuments. To many, these monuments are just code for glorifying a racist past, and I share that view.

dlokazip, mrbobdobalina and DarreLP like this.
  5. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

It’s not progress. It’s the PC police wanting to judge and evaluate the past by their own standards.

As far as “wrong doings” the majority of those statutes were erected to honor the war dead. Members and kinfolks of the same communities that erected them. Most common Confederate soldiers did not own slaves. They were told to fight to protect their communities so they did. I see no wrong in honoring the fallen. As for progress, do you really think life in the US has improved over the last several decades? Many do not.

6. DarreLP

DarreLP Forum Resident

I had a comment deleted because of "politics".

I'm new, so perhaps a bit naive and confused: how can there be a political post if political comments are not allowed?

GimmieSomeTruth likes this.
  7. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

I don’t know what you posted but I suspect you answered your own question. Political comments aren’t allowed. You posted one so it was deleted. In any event welcome to the forum. It’s very informative and there are some really cool people on here.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I keep reading this thread title as MACCA WANTS A STATUE OF LITTLE RICHARD.

And on that note, can we put this ****er to bed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.