"Mad Men" -- *Final* Season Official Thread (possible spoilers) (part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Don still drives and smokes!

2. Well, yeah...I follow you, but there's still so much fertile ground in the later half of 1969 that's yet to be mined. These things, like the Apollo moon landing, Woodstock and the Mason murders...these are things that changed the perception of the world, at least in the United States. That is, the comparison and contrast has already taken place, when you consider how the US was when the show started, how the characters were, and how in just one decade (maybe more than any other decade, save the 1920s) idealism was slaughtered by cultural nihilism that is still felt to this day. Not that the later '60s were bad (well, maybe 1968), with the deconstruction of what many viewed as the "American way of life." Still, the "withering away," I believe, would have a greater stock if Don held a growing sense of dread for what the '70s may hold (because in many ways Don is still living in 1961), over a hard reset in 1970.

You know, in reality, is there anything else we may learn about these characters, anyway, except for their fates? Do we even need to learn their fates?

I'm not sure if that's a satisfying ending. I think we may have learned Don's fate as far back as getting the divorce.

ad180 and Hard Panner like this.
  3. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I just saw the trailer, and they use the song "Love hangover" by Diana Ross, which was a hit in 1976. Since the show is always using music appropriate for the timeframe , I'm wondering if the show will go that far forward in time

4. Yeah, I noticed the Ross song, too; however, their clothes definitely still had 1969 written all over it, albeit with an upper crust flair.

It could be Weiner just being as enigmatic as ever, though.

If they pull a Boardwalk Empire jump forward in time I swear I'll punch a mohair sweater.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Don't read so much into the song choice. They've used other songs in past promos that were released past 1969.

Plus Sally is in the promo and looks her same normal age, and not like a college-age young lady.

6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It looks like Don is still in that 1965 Cadillac Coupe DeVille he's had since Season 4. Now that the partners at SC&Ps have cashed out, he should be in a new car...

7. Jose Jones

There's nothing to suggest he is driving anywhere but in New York in that pic.

8. jjhunsecker

I don't think Weiner would be as obvious to show them in mid-1970s garb. But I suspect the use of this song, which represents a completely different era (even though it's only 7 years later) will turn out to be significant. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a similarity to "Boardwalk", or even "Six Feet Under"

9. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

Mikey471 likes this.
  10. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I think the song was chosen more for it's feel and lyrical content rather than any literal clue related to a sudden time jump. I predict the show will end in early 1970, the beginning of the "big hangover" from the previous decade.

drasil likes this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I still think an interesting end to the series would involve the signing into law of the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act by President Nixon on April 1, 1970. This legislation banned cigarette ads on TV:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Health_Cigarette_Smoking_Act

It would make a nice coda to the first episode of the series.

RayS and jriems like this.
  12. jjhunsecker

I guess we'll find out in May

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I really don't see a happy ending for Don Draper.

Just my gut feelings.

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

After this season, we need a series that will now take us all the way through the 1970's with the same quality and commitment. That would be great.

HiFi Guy 008 and Lucidae like this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Or at least someone should rerun the Mary Tyler Moore show :)

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  16. Jose Jones

Do you think he will jump or will someone push him?

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

And maybe something more blue-collar. . . like the 'seventies lives of postal carriers. "Tired Men."

smilin ed likes this.
  18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm still hoping for a (figuratively) precipitous demise for Draper, preferably one involving the law.

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

MMM and drasil like this.
  20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Here's a great set of interviews with cast and producers about the genesis and history of 'Mad Men'.

It's easy to forget how feeble and pathetic AMC was back before they took a chance on 'Mad Men'. Someone describes it as a second rate TCM. I wouldn't even put it in the same category as TCM. They were real bottom feeders in the basic cable rung, but kudos to them for not going the cheap, easy & trashy route of A&E, TLC, etc.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mad-men-uncensored-epic-never-780101

dan c

ad180 likes this.
  22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great read Dan!!!

23. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I know the show can't go on and on but I hate the fact in seven episodes like the Soprano's before this it ends. I wonder where the writers go next?

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

mikeyt likes this.
  25. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Was just about to post that Hollywood Reporter article. Read it folks, it is so good that three of us came here to share it (so far as I know).

Jose Jones and Dan C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.