MAD MEN -- FINAL Season Official Thread (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Probably right. Nice photo.

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

If for Joan alone....

blind_melon1, BZync and Tex_Writer like this.
  3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That's what I thought. Too bad, I was hoping Sal would return.

4. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I thought the poster was interesting. I don't think that the iconic Don Seated pose was inserted as an afterthought. The viewer is looking over the shoulder of a passive Don Draper, who is in stark B&W, while a psychadelic kaleidocope of color swirls around him. The message that the world is moving on and around a passive Don in not subtle. Is he behind the times? Does he know others are moving ahead of him? Food for thought. There is also a degree of irony at play. While the perception may be that Don is old and "out of it", a good case can be made that he is actually years ahead of the curve. Recall his "You want it all" pitch to Dow- proto 80's Greed. Or his "Escape" pitch to Royall Hawian Hotels- Pure 70's self indulgent personal experience.

I love the promo photos. But don't read too much into them. For example the promo photos for S6 depicted all of the principle characters in formal attire, attending a lavish party. I waited all season for a setting in which this event would take place. It turns out that the photos were meant to be provacative, but not indicative of what actually would happen. Now consider S7. Everyone at the Airport. It may be plausible for the principles of SC&P to be taking a business trip together, but where do Betty, Henry and Sally fit in ? I don't think they do. The airport setting is just that, a setting for all of the characters to appear and to (re)spark interest in the coming season.

MW has stated that one of the themes of the season is what are the consequences of unacceptable behaviour? Don may have changed as a result of his catharsis but does anyone notice or care ? What breaches can be repaired and which can not? MW has also stated how he has been inspired by the endings of the Beatles White Album and the Sopranno's. Both were stark and abrupt endings of something that was in mid stream, rather than neatly tied vignettes that gave closure. It would not surprise me if MMhas a similarly abrupt ending. My take is that we would be meant to feel that we have been given a decade long glimpse into the lives of these people, but that their lives existed both before and after the setting of the show. They will get on with their lives, much as the fans will.

Looking forward to 4-13-14.

RubenH and ad180 like this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Weiner said not to read anything into the photos -- they just look for a glamorous and 60s-feeling location for these promo shoots every year.

Though, how can you not make the connection with the back and forth movement to LA that was starting in season 6?

6. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeesh, AMC doesn't have a big enough budget for editors??
    :laugh:

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The press had reported in September 2013 that legendary screenwriter Robert Towne (Chinatown) joined Mad Men's writing staff for this last season of Mad Men. He's being credited as consulting producer for this last season.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I read a hilarious interview with Matt Weiner where he talked to Towne and said, "you know, Robert, this could be one of the last scripts you ever write." And without missing a beat, Towne quipped, "and this could be your last script, too!"

This is one of the most thoughtful, introspective shows I've seen in years. It's amazing to me that regular network television can't find a way to do something like this.

BTW, has anybody ever noticed that the main title opening music has very weird audio phase problems? I dunno if it's deliberate or what, but it's weird as hell. The main show usually sounds great.

smilin ed likes this.
  10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Enoch Light would never mess up like that

drasil and sgtmono like this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

New Season Starts Sunday!!!

amoergosum likes this.
  12. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I am watching the whole thing again so I'll be ready for the new season, i am up to the middle of season 5 now. It's really such a great show, pretty much every episode has a few "wow that was a great scene" in them.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Absolutley. I'm re-watching last season on Blu-ray, I'm on episode 11.

14. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

Just in time for the season premiere it's the Don-O-Mite trailer-Mad Men meets Blaxploitation:

15. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

lmao!

16. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Okay, guesses - how many episodes will it be until it is revealed that this new wonder car by Chevrolet is the Vega?
    bilde.jpg

Dan C likes this.
  17. Audio Guru

Audio Guru New Member

I've been giving the final/split season a lot of thought. I think Don will continue his downward spiral finally losing it all including, of course, Megan. He will really hit rock bottom and that's where a couple of last season's episodes come into play. I think the young Dick Whitman watching the priest getting thrown out of the bawdy house and later the adult Dick Whitman assaulting a priest in a bar is an example of foreshadowing. I can't think of any other purpose for those scenes. So Don Draper, having lost it all, will find God in an old fashioned American story of redemption. He will go on to pastor a small inter-denominational church in the Midwest, but soon, because of his charismatic personality, will grow it into a mega church with hundreds of millions in revenue from TV, personal appearances and book deals. Sylvia, seeing his picture on the cover of Time magazine will make a pilgrimage to Don's church to see if this is real... Stay tuned and pass me that joint.

18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Just finished watching the first episode. I'm not impressed. They really didnt cover any meaningful ground here. Just little bits and pieces.
    So Now Ken Cosgrove is an SOB, huh? Whats that about?

And do the producers expect us to believe that in 1970, women you just met on planes rested their head on your shoulder? After knowing you 5 minutes?

Another thing that occurs to me is that by 1969/70, Dons "look" with his greased back hair and thin ties would be dated. Women wouldnt be falling all over him anymore as if it were 1962.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  19. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Neve Campbell is outstanding in the season opener. Very natural and understated. Hope she is in other episodes.

20. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I still don't believe that was Neve Campbell as Don's plane ride companion.

21. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Ah, so that's who it was!
    So that's who it was! She looked awfully familiar but I couldn't place her.

22. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My guess is they are foreshadowing a new firm of Draper, Olsen and Campbell by the end of the series.

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Pretty slow start. The old Don wouldn't have thought twice about sleeping with Neve... Megan has a great set of legs there...

I'm guessing Don, Peggy, and Joan are all unhappy and could see them starting up something new...

24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Good one tonight but did start a little slow. Seems Peggy has some issues.

Pat

25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I can't judge this show on an "episode by episode" basis. It's all about the flow of the story. Patience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.