MAD MEN -- FINAL Season Official Thread (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sally is rebellious enough to go to Woodstock.. I could see it happening..

Maybe the show will end on New Year's Eve right before the start of a new decade...

2. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I've finally seen the first seven episodes of this "final" season and am totally caught up with "Mad Men".

As the series winds down, I'm still left wondering how Don and Anna (his first "wife") became so close, in light of the history between Dick and the original "Don".

There were a few flashbacks in earlier seasons which dabbled in revealing the beginning of the Don/Anna relationship, but nothing satisfying enough (to me) to really explain the origins of one of the most important relationships in Don Draper's life. Did I miss something? Or has this background been adequately handled for other viewers?

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't think you missed anything. I think it has been adequately fleshed out. We're shown that they became close and that Anna enjoyed the security the deal with Don brought, and that they genuinely learned to trust and enjoy each other. I like that there is a mystery there, I don't need everything spelled out, there's lots of mystery in real life and the way that Weiner et al retain mystery within the lives of the characters is part of what makes Mad Men so "real" for me.

drasil, Rufus McDufus and JimW like this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I went looking for a link to this, and found instead an interview that verifies what you are saying (that they aren't saying when it will end):
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jacelacob/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-final-season-7

So the next episodes could jump forward as usual.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I could see them maybe bookending the series by going a little bit into 1970 and concluding the show with the signing into law of the ban on cigarette ads on TV. Maybe that's a little too neat, though.

Olompali likes this.
  6. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

One early 70s historical possibility is the March 6 1970 Weatherman townhouse blowing up in Greenwich Village while the kids made bombs. Could Glenn or. Sally get mixed up with that?

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

They're a bit young for the Weather Underground aren't they?

8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

But as Jose mentioned earlier, the characters on Mad Men react to events around them rather than get involved. They're just like 99% of Americans that didn't go to Woodstock, didn't get murdered by Manson and didn't join the Weathermen.

drasil and Hard Panner like this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I turned 49 today (really), and don't know whether I should be concerned about your comment...

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Happy birthday! You are running about a year behind me - I have about 49 "Days of 49" left before the Big 5-0. But I ain't dead yet, my bell still rings.

mrjinks likes this.
  11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Judging from the frequency of threads where we both appear, I'm sure we're kindred spirits of a sort - thanks for the bday wishes!
    :cheers:

RayS likes this.
  12. ringorilla

ringorilla Forum Resident

I think it was the most amazing ending one could ever think of...

13. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

This isn't directed at you specifically, but I find it funny when people say that Mad Men drags and then they want everything spelled out. How did Don and Anna's relationship flesh out? How did Don and Megan make up after their fight? When the audience is left to imagine things for themselves it's lazy writing but imagine how the show would drag if every unanswered question were answered.

Chad

14. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

16. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Wouldn't have expected his big screen debut to be a comedy, but I will check out the trailer when I get a chance.

18. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks. I need an unlike button though. :)

20. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

22. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Yeah, saw this and thought "There's the guy from 'Apollo 13' and 'That Thing You Do'!"

Chip TRG likes this.
  23. chodad

chodad Hodad

I just watched the first 6 seasons on Netflix to get caught up so I intentionally missed season 7. Now I need to see it.

Will they re-run the first part of season 7 before starting part 2?

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that they just wrapped shooting the final episode of Mad Men last week at LA Center Studios. A buddy of mine was on the set, but I can say nothing.

25. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.