MAD MEN -- Season SIX Official Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Yeah, that's another possibility.

2. Hard Panner

A different version of the Season 6 poster.

Attached Files:

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

It's been so long, I forgot what happened in the 5th season! I'll need to find a recap online!

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Apparently in the new season, Don Draper will be using an iPhone:

[​IMG]

alanb and driverdrummer like this.
  5. Hard Panner

Noooooo!!!! You just shattered my world!!!!

6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Wouldn't it be great to see the campaign that Don would come up with for it...

alanb likes this.
  7. Hard Panner

8. Hard Panner

9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Ugh, why? His stuff was square. He's the guy who didn't get the VW "Think Small" and "Lemon" ads.

10. Hard Panner

I didn't want to see a Don Draper version of an iPhone campaign, until you mentioned how square his stuff is - now I'd like to see it!

11. alanb

alanb Senior Member

good thread.....

12. Hard Panner

Re-watching Season 5 to refresh for Season 6 - up to 'Signal 30'. Such a brilliant episode.

Dan C likes this.
  13. Hard Panner

Re-watching Season 5 to refresh for Season 6 and just watchd 'Far Away Places' and 'At The Codfish Ball' this week. Two more incredible episodes! This re-viewing is really cementing Season 5 as my favorite season so far. Tonight's viewing will be 'Lady Lazarus'!

14. Hard Panner

Up to 'The Other Woman' from Season 5 - just watched it last night. The use of The Kinks "You Really Got Me" as the ending song bothers me - anybody else?

15. alanb

alanb Senior Member

16. Hard Panner

Just doesn't seem to fit. If the producers wanted a riff heavy mid-60's song that wasn't from the exact year the characters were in, I think there could have been a better pick. Off the top of my head, I think The Yardbirds 'I Ain't Got You' would have worked better.

17. jack88will

jack88will New Member

Nice Show.. I like this.

18. Hard Panner

19. Hard Panner

Okay, one more Season 5 episode 'The Phantom' and then ready for Season 6!

20. Hard Panner

21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

22. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Rolling Stone magazine has a very good cover story on Jon Hamm and Mad Men in the issue I received today (April 11). In a sidebar piece, Rob Sheffield tries to draw a connection between Draper's character and the subject of the book he's pictured with on the beach:

"Let's just say Don's newfound interest in Dante makes perfect sense -- "The Inferno" is a poem about a man who gets lost in the woods, half-way through the journey of his life, and ends up exploring hell. At least Dante comes out on the other end. Don might still have a way to go."

Of course, Sheffield's bit doesn't really make the case for Draper's interest in "The Inferno" -- beyond the symbolic value -- to be convincing, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

On the other hand, I found the following bit from the main RS article more insightful:

Hamm is able to access parts of Draper - a kind of outward self-confidence mixed with self-loathing - that seem dredged up from somewhere deep within. He [Hamm] cops to a little bit of it: "There's a desperation there, and it ties into a fear of dying and fear of becoming irrelevant and fear of losing whatever you have," he says. "He's managing this seismic change in the culture, trying to ride the wave, and in many ways he's failing. What happens to me as an actor when no one wants to hire me? None of us are getting younger. You saw the same thing when Betty left him -- he was devastated. He says, 'I was surprised you ever loved me' Because he's so self-loathing. In his mind, he's not worthy"

------------------------

As an aside, I couldn't help but be struck by a parallel between Draper and Roger Thornhill, Cary Grant's character, when I saw Hitchcock's North by Northwest for the first time last summer. It seems both Draper and Thornhill are ad men from the world of the 1950s, elegant, charming, sophisticated in taste, handsome, and yet superficial, unable to grasp their past and constantly in pursuit of a personal identity which continues to elude them.

I wonder if Weiner was a Hitchcock fan!

Dan C likes this.
  23. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Revisited season 5 via Netflix instant streaming. Can't wait for season 6.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk HD

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I watched two random episodes out of order yesterday.

'The Suitcase' from Season 4 was first. IMHO among the best single episodes in dramatic TV history, and even better with each revisit. After that I played episode 2 from season 1, which gave me a real jolt blasting back to the early Don and Roger chemistry (just getting started), Don with innocent Betty, and Peggy as a newbie secretary at the office.

So much has happened in this show. So looking forward to Sunday! Cocktails start at noon in our house. :)

dan c

Hard Panner likes this.
  25. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Peggy Olson (Elizabeth Moss) just appeared on Jimmy Kimmel. I have never found her particularly attractive on the show, but she looks amazing out of character (I don't think I've seen her outside of the show before). I'm sure the interview will posted online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.