MAD MEN -- Season SIX Official Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanb

alanb Senior Member

WOW!

Dr.Robert .........

That was one trippy episode.

and Don's line at the end ...once he straightened out and become **** kicking Don was SPOT ON!

Really enjoyed this one.

From the get go - it was one wild ride.... :)

hutlock and Hard Panner like this.
  2. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Thought the very same thing - Dr. Robert!

3. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I totally agree with you. Terrible episode. Seriously, does anyone think that would happen? Also, I am very tired of the flashbacks to Don's youth.

4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

My Heart Leaps Up When I Behold

My heart leaps up when I behold
    A rainbow in the sky:
    So was it when my life began;
    So is it now I am a man;
    So be it when I shall grow old,
    Or let me die!
    The Child is father of the Man;
    I could wish my days to be
    Bound each to each by natural piety.

And I thought Peggy was just making a Beach Boys reference. I never did investigate that line, "the child is father of the man," before. Then again, the Blood Sweat & Tears album came out earlier that year...

5. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

I thought Dr. Robert too. Terrible episode so close to the series ending. The last two episodes have been two of the worst of the whole series.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

One of the strangest episodes ever.

7. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

In the minority of digging this season.
    C

8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I've had a couple bad trips in my day (back in college). None lasting an entire weekend though. In the worst trip, I had to confront myself and my behavior that led to the break-up of my first serious relationship. It wasn't fun.

I suppose that's why I felt for Don during this episode. The man has way more on his mental plate than I ever did. The trip was a way for him to confront his demons, and to accept the end of his relationship with Sylvia (we'll have to wait and see if he learned anything else). It was inevitable that Don would crash (we've been waiting for it for six seasons!), and the trip simply sped up its arrival.

I didn't love the episode, but I still found it interesting and enjoyable. Of all the episodes this season, this is the one I'm looking forward to watching again.

alanb likes this.
  9. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I quite liked it and think it probably warrants a second (or third) watch.

sparkydog and alanb like this.
  10. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Every season, Weiner does an episode that's totally out of left field...and every year people freak out and claim the show has lost it. To reiterate the AV Club review, I'm not sure I get it all but 12 hours later I'm still thinking about it, the mark of great TV.

When the history of "Mad Men" is written, this will be in the top ten episodes.

11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Don: Where did you learn that?
    Ken: My mother. No, my first girlfriend.

Probably my favorite scene, because it all happened in Don's head.

12. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

Thinking more about the episode this morning. The flashbacks to Don's youth in the whorehouse enlightens us even more as to his unwillingness to share/open up to women. He either ends up abandoned or pummeled.

Looking forward to rewatching it to catch more subtleties of the dialogue.

13. Hard Panner

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

every great series occasionally challenges itself and viewers. That said, this was fairly disorienting, an artistic success, dramatically maybe a mixed success. I bought out a bit when Don sort just let the Doc fire away with the 'proprieatry' rocket boost. Don would know the danger in the first two seconds....

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

17. Hard Panner

The crew is getting together again tonight to re-watch last night's episode. Everybody is still loving it today on Facebook!

18. Hard Panner

Okay, I gotta ask a question to all of you - How many other contemporary TV shows do you watch?

I watch Mad Men and watch it for many reasons - but, one of the reasons is I enjoy the show. I see some of you calling it "homework", etc and others constantly picking it apart for "going there" in regards to the 1960s events and characters. Why watch this show and then go to an online forum and discuss this something that you don't like? That is a real waste of your life, isn't it? I know I'd never go to The Walking Dead thread (is there one? I don't know or care) and dump on it. Why waste my time on such a negative thing?

Mad Men is one of three TV shows that I watch. The others are Community and The Venture Bros. - so you can see, I don't watch a heck of a lot of television. If the TV goes on, it's usually for a DVD.

The reason I bring all this up, I'm getting tired of having a great time watching a Mad Men episode and then log on to this forum's Mad Men Season 6 thread only to read how terrible the latest Mad Men episode was. When I come to this thread, I try to bring some content to share for other fans of the show - reviews, photos, news - and I even provided the name of the car, the Vega before anybody else did (and yes, I know it hasn't been mentioned in the show). Point is, I come here to share with other fans of Mad Men. I make a point to come here to share, just look at my history on the forum. But, I'm beginning to think I am now the one wasting my time. Are there fans of the show on this thread that enjoy the sharing?

19. djork

djork Forum Resident

Forget it, Jake; it's the internet.

20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I agree, I thought it was sensational. Best episode of this season by a mile.

Hard Panner likes this.
  21. Paper Wizard

I understand your point. However, why can't someone say something negative about an episode they didn't like? While I have enjoyed much of the Mad Men epidsodes, I thought this one was a dud. That's just my opinion and I am curious to see what happens next. I just don't see a group of ad executives taking "speed" shots in the office. I thought that was extremely far fetched. It doesn't mean I won't watch again, but I do think the writers try to be overly clever at times. One this is for sure the ensemble of actors is excellent.

22. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

I worked at a couple of huge ad agencies and though I never saw this, it certainly wouldn't have been the wildest thing I saw happen there...

Hard Panner likes this.
  23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Agree that Grandma Ida may have been a new low in the show's portrayal of race relations: MLK is dead, but his dream that one day black actresses would be free to guest star as jive talking con artists on TV lives on.

24. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Disagree. I thought the burglar character was excellent. At first, I actually thought it was someone from Don's past.

25. Paper Wizard

I worked within the ad world in the late 80's/early 90's. I know some people did some wacky stuff, but I still find it hard to believe people would do that in the late 1960's in an office. Plus, they were so open about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.