MAD MEN -- Season SIX Official Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Without reading that review the character needed to be non white in order to fit in with the rest of the warped reality of the episode. Could she really be somehow related to their dad? Kids think in different ways.

2. alanb

alanb Senior Member

3. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I just think if I hated EVERY episode, I would stop watching it. Why torment yourself if viewing Mad Men is such an ordeal?

Hard Panner and alanb like this.
  4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I don't really get the race arguments about Mad Men. It seems pretty consistent to what one would expect at that time for these particular people. I'm not sure what people who have a problem with the show think should (or should not) happen.

Last night's episode was the weirdest one yet. The Ida thing was about the creepiest thing I've seen for a while. Pretty scary. Nothing really important seemed to happen last night which is unusual for the show. Or maybe I missed something.

5. alanb

alanb Senior Member

LA Times...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...p-the-crash-don-speed-20130519,0,202729.story

Also i think the kenny dancing was for real - as Don's secretary dawn (?) sat - mouth agape - at the whole scene and as the writer in LA times says a comment on his job - all singing and dancing...

Also the whole speed trip came across like the real thing ( yes folks - i tried it once ) - edgy and unsettling - unfocused and time just flies by while you obsess over minor details....

6. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Agree with the first thing you say.

You missed something - watch video to Matt Weiner i linked earlier

http://www.amctv.com/mad-men/videos/inside-episode-608-mad-men-the-crash

i usually watch it again the next night - as there is ALWAYS a lot to see and take in....

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Read through the Office thread some time to see that it's not unusual for a group of people to dearly love a show, but still be able to point out when an episode or episodes aren't up to the perceived gold standard of seasons past. There shouldn't be anything upsetting about reviews of episodes that are negative as long as what is being written is honestly what the poster thinks.

I'm one of those who likes Mad Men, and keeps watching Mad Men because I like Mad Men. I like Mad Men LESS now, however, than I did 2 or 3 seasons ago. It's just the way it is for me. WHY is the honeymoon over as far as I'm concerned? I'm not exactly sure, to be honest. It just doesn't resonate with me like it did the first couple seasons.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

After last night, I would be at the brink of giving up, if I hadn't already bought the iTunes season pass. Since I've already paid for all of the episodes, and we're close enough to the end of the season, I'll keep watching to see what happens next, but if the show continues down its current path, I highly doubt I'll be ordering next year's season pass.

I've been watching this show from the beginning, and have a lot of time invested in the characters, but we've hit shark jumping territory this season. Someone else mentioned the parallel to The Office, where people, myself included, kept watching years after the show had peaked, because they had so much time invested in the show and the characters. But, increasingly, this show is like the latter-day Office, as we stumble through one meaningless corporate restructuring after another, reshuffling an ever-increasing ensemble cast that has grown so large and unwieldy that none of them have coherent, satisfying storylines anymore. This week's Mad Men even had a parallel in the episode of The Office this season where Todd Packer showed up and gave everyone drug-laced cupcakes and then we got to see everyone at Dunder Mifflin act stupid on drugs, just like this week's Mad Men.

The biggest difference between the two shows is that Steve Carell left, and Jon Hamm is still around, but, after this season, I wish Hamm would leave, so I don't have to watch him have another affair, be cruel to Megan, or watch another flashback to his childhood in the whorehouse ever again.

9. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Ugh. Really? I'm outta here. This is too much.

10. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Hard Panner likes this.
  11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I think you are what is known as a contrarian. I suggest you give your season pass to someone who enjoys the show.

Hard Panner likes this.
  12. Hard Panner

Ah, hell - I'm sharing this for those who have shown support and are fans and then I'm off for a bit to get away from the few "Debbie Downers" on here:

The version played in the flashback with Dick and the prostitute:

ampmods and adm62 like this.
  13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

14. Hard Panner

Song on Sylvia's kitchen radio:

ampmods and alanb like this.
  15. Hard Panner

And, of course, the closing credits music:

16. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Could wardrobe please give Ted something else to wear besides that pea-soup green blazer. Barf!

17. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Dr.Robert - The Beatles - Revolver

This is about Doctor Robert Freymann, a "Speed Doctor" in New York who supplied many celebrities, including The Beatles, with drugs. Reportedly, Dr. Freymann, who died in 1987, treated patients with injects of amphetamine-spiked vitamin B-12 from his Manhattan East 78th Street clinic. It should be noted that most Americans, due to diet and convenience culture, suffer from a vitamin B deficiency, and so an infusion of B vitamins feels like a "pick me up" all by itself, which is why many popular "energy drinks" (Red Bull, Monster, etc.) have this in the ingredients.

18. alanb

alanb Senior Member

What a perfect song for that scene -- i think i am going out of my head:)

Thanks for posting APPRECIATED ;)

Hard Panner likes this.
  19. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

You thread haters are like the show haters -- you complain and complain, but you can't let go of it . . .

20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

When I was finished this episode, I said "that was weird". The tap dancing scene alone was worth the price of admission. I've found with Mad Men, they do what they want with the show and its fun to just go along for the ride. This one made a great bookend with the LSD episode last year. Someone or several of the writers on this show did some serious drugs at one time. I can relate. :laugh:

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Also see any thread regarding Walking Dead, Lost, etc.

22. I enjoyed the episode but the only thing I found odd was that this doctor - and his treatment regime - seemed to be well-regarded and achieved solid business/creative results. Obviously, it didn't produce anything that furthered the business so I can't see the reasoning why this doctor was brought in to the work place in the first place.

I mean, I doubt their experience would have been much different than any other office's experience so why was this doctor so well regarded?

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Looks like your avatar has enjoyed the doctors 'proprietary vitamins'

24. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

My .02 This episode was intense. Thumbs up.

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

What was even less realistic than them bringing in the doctor in the first place is that Peggy and the other sober people in the office didn't call a real doctor or take Don and Ken to the hospital when they were flipping out, rambling incoherently, sweating profusely, manicly tap-dancing in the middle of the office, etc. I get the episode was supposed to be a sort of fever dream, but it was not plausible that Peggy, as jaded by bad/crazy workplace behavior as she may be, would have just tolerated the kind of drug-induced craziness that was going on, or that no one else would have noticed it and called a real doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.