MAD MEN -- Season SIX Official Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Or a country-western heartbreak song.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Betty was the one who initiated things, I thought - she left the door open for Don. I thought she was pretty much in control of the whole encounter, right down to her astute analysis of Megan and Don, and her final wisecrack to Don - "Are you sure you don't just want to hold me?" - when Don was gearing up for Round Two. Perhaps the most "liberated' sexual encounter we've seen on the series in a while, despite the perception that Betty is still the stereotypical 50s housewife.

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I'm enjoying this season for what it is. Some episodes may be better than others, but as far as quality television is concerned, Mad Men is "it" for me.
    Sometimes, you can pick something to death and lose the sheer enjoyment of the whole thing.

BZync likes this.
  4. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

I won't moan and groan about the whole season... I just want to make one point. Matt Weiner's ego has gotten in the way of what was a terrific show. His insistence on writing or co-writing so many episodes shows his lack of overall vision. He has not come up with intriguing storylines, at least not in my opinion. Great shows in their third and forth season usually have lots of different writers and directors. Weiner obviously will not allow this, to the detriment of the audience.

White_Noise likes this.
  5. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Agree 100%. Sure, discussing the details of episodes every week is one thing - and no TV show is perfect - but, some of the posts are essentially the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons EVERY WEEK. But, I guess there are people like that in the real world, too. And the overuse of the word "stereotype" for characters that are based on people that were like that in real life in the 1960s is curious. Kinda like saying "Watched a TV show based in the early 1940s and they had the stereotypical guy that was a GI and his friends had a party with Swing Music, yawn!"

[​IMG]

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't keep an eagle eye on the directing credits, but I've noticed that Jon Hamm and John Slattery have directed episodes in recent seasons, and done a good job of it, as I recall. I have read some "insider"-type articles somewhere where some of the writers on the show complain that Weiner sticks his name on their script too often for their liking, but I suppose that's one of the perks of being the showrunner.

7. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

Nobody is looking for "action", we're looking for the plot to move forward.

8. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Um, what are you expecting from a show that is the day-to-day operations of an Ad Agency and the home life of a few characters in the 1960s? There is no island to get off...

boyjohn likes this.
  9. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

Call me crazy, but it seemed to me like A LOT happened in this episode...

10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Ya, I don't understand the hippie bashing all the time, I didn't know Cartman was a member of this forum.

Hard Panner likes this.
  11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

A previous poster made the comment that he believes that this show is actually about Peggy Olson and not Don Draper.
    For the first time, I'm inclined to agree. This show has degraded into "The Peggy Olson Show". After she quit Sterling Cooper, they should have moved on to other plots and stopped revisting a woman trying to make it in the Ad business....we get it, Ok?
    My Gosh, there are SO many other plot lines to explore.

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Hmmm, it is Weiners vision. Who better to keep the show on track? I have the sense the season is leading to something unexpected (which of course is no surprise) and is taking its time in setting that up. Pete's getting pushed into a corner (and is overdue for some real stupidity as only he is capable of), Roger's finally being forced to act his age... Don's getting called out.... the agency is probably being held together by Peggy who could walk at any moment... Woodstock and Altamont waiting in the wings... all sorts of possibilities.

13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

The Agency is being held together by Peggy?
    Where did you get that from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.