MAD MEN -- Season SIX Official Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

And even harder to get invested in her when she's wearing that nightgown that looks like it was made out of an ironing board cover.

2. Actress' name is Linda Cardellini from Freaks And Geeks and I think ER (although I never watched it.)

3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Wasn't Betty not fat in the promo shots?

EDIT: Just went back and looked, and she is indeed not fat in the promo materials. I guess they thought that they couldn't make her look glamorous enough if she was overweight.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Looks that way:

[​IMG]

5. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

It seemed with reference to riots (and the soldier wanting to fight someone stateside thus making it all seem anti Viet Nam) that it was Christmas '68 just after the Dem Convention.

6. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

7. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I agree, it looks like a year and 8 months' changes. Maybe we are all to used to the glacial pace of fashion these days

8. Hard Panner

"Motor City is Burning" - John Lee Hooker, 1967

Oh, the motor city's burnin'
    It ain't no thing in the world that I can do
    Don't ya know
    Don't ya know the big D is burnin'?
    Ain't no thing in the world that Johnny can do
    My home town burnin' down to the ground
    Worser than Viet Nam
    Well, it started on 12th and Clairmont, this mornin'
    I just don't know what it's all about
    Well, it started on 12th and Clairmont, this mornin'
    I don't know what it's all about
    The fire wagon kept comin'
    The snipers just wouldn't let 'em put it out
    Fire bomb bustin' all around me
    An' soldiers was ev'rywhere
    Well, fire bomb fallin' all around me
    And soldiers standin' ev'rywhere
    I could hear the people screaming
    Sirens fill the air
    I don't know what the trouble is
    I can't stay around to find it out
    I don't know, I don't know
    What the trouble is, this mo'nin'
    I just can't stay around to find it out
    Takin' my wife an my family
    And little Johnny Lee is clearin' out
    The motor city's burnin'
    Ain't a thing that I can do
    Well, the motor city's burnin'
    Ain't a thing that I can do
    I just hope, people
    It'll never happen to you
    Yes, yes, I could hear the fireman
    FADES-
    Said, 'Look, get outta here'
    It's too hot.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Has to be. The reference was to the Super Bowl including Green Bay and either Oakland or Houston. However, I don't think that game was referred to as The Super Bowl back in 68, just the NFL-AFL championship game. This show is usually a stickler for detail.

10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah I thought that was strange too: were commercials aired during the Super Bowl (or whatever they called it at the time) already a big deal at that time?

11. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

Yeah, I never get her name correct. Thanks for looking out. She's not Velma here, that's for sure.

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Poor Betty is being dressed like someones 80 year old grandma

13. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Good episode for a beginning. Lots of threads that will wind out over the season. It took me to this morning to realise the impact of Don's missing / swapped lighter. His lighter had his real last name on it. When the other PFC(apologies if I don't have the designation right) goes to find him, Don will have to confront his past again in some new and possibly more serious manner.

Thought Jon Hamms' acting was fantastic. He is a man trapped and wanting to escape in oh so many ways. His only escape is the fleeting thrill of sex. He is so out of touch with his reality that even his ads refelct his personal situation over what is happening for others. He is out of touch and stuck up in his own mind. Much like Roger in some ways I guess.

Roger's breakdown at the shoeshine box was a great moment. Of course it would happen at that time. We all have those delayed reactions to situations in life.

Last season, someone used to post a link to an excellent blog / article written by a reporter after each episode. I hope that comes back. I loved reading it but I don't have the link.

ad180 likes this.
  14. alanb

alanb Senior Member

15. Hard Panner

16. alanb

alanb Senior Member

17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for the link and to the otehrs who posted. I'm looking forward to going through them.

Spot on about Don's lack of speaking until far into the episode. It was all facial and body reaction until he spoke to the army officer. My girlfriend commented that he always just looks so pained. Like he's constantly in pain and trying to hold it in.

18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

No they were not. Ironically the first one (GB and Kansas City) was televised on both NBC and CBS. The game was almost considered an exhibition game, with the real league vs the upstart AFL. It was not until the NY Jets beat Baltimore in #3 (1969) that the game started to take on its stature. This is odd considering the attention to detail that Mad Men is noted for.

19. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

This is why owning sports' teams by massive corps has become even more important today. Content (advertising). Sports is the only medium left where 99% of people prefer to watch it live, and in the context watch the ads in between the game action.

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

21. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It was called the Super Bowl in media coverage before the first one was even played, but that wasn't adopted as the game's official name until SB3. And as someone pointed out, commercials that debut during the Super Bowl are a recent phenomenon.

Dan C likes this.
  22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

But Don's ads, going all the way back to the famous "Carousel" ad in Season One, have always reflected his personal situation. That's what made him the advertising genius that he has been portrayed as. I thought it rang false that Don's Hawaii ad was portrayed as a failure: it's exactly the kind of ad that, in earlier seasons, would have served as evidence of Don's genius. As Don pointed out to the hotel execs, if they just want the ad to be a picture of their hotel, why are they hiring an ad agency at all?

23. Hard Panner

How 'bout the Hawaiian band playing "The Stripper" while Megan was on stage?

24. alanb

alanb Senior Member

From the creator
    By the time we get to the Hawaii pitch, certainly.When he talks about heaven, and later that something horrible has to happen to go to paradise... I mean, he is shocked in that Hawaii pitch at what he has actually said. i do hope there’s no discussion about him losing his mojo or something like that, because that is an amazing ad. I determine whether the client likes it or not, so it’s rigged, and I will let you know when Don is doing a bad job. You’ll know when he’s lost his mojo. In this case, the clients have failed to recognize. I was talking to one of our advertising consultants Josh Weltman about it, and I go, “Am I wrong? This is a great ad, right?” And he goes, “They’re going to pitch that work for five or six years, but by 1975, someone will do that ad.”

25. Hard Panner

Okay - just who were the photographers? Who did they work for? Hired by SCDP, or for an outside source like a magazine? Wouldn't Don smoking in a promo photo go against "The Letter"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.