Maddening inconsistencies/discontinuities in old TV shows: forgot how to watch with "old eyes"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ParloFax, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Stanley Kubrick did this with The Shining on purpose. The hotel manager's office has an impossible window (the room is in the middle of the hotel, surrounded by hallways) There are impossible windows in the hallways near their apartment in the hotel. The layout of the first floor shifts from scene to scene. The camera follows jack from a short hallway into a massive ballroom that shouldn't be there. It's subtle, but it's part of what makes it an intrinsically creepy movie.

I'm sure the TV show sets were laziness or necessity. I saw a behind the scenes show on one TV series that said they had to reconfigure the main set to make room for a show that was filming on the other side of the soundstage

2. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

Whenever there's a hawk-type bird that needs to be heard on television, for aeons it's been the cry of the red-tailed hawk... period!! I mean there are hundreds of different species of hawks, falcons, buzzards, etc. in the world, and surely a few dozens in America only...

On that account, the French-Mexican-Canadian coproduced series Tarzan, from the early 90s, is pretty funny as it is set of course in Africa (use of stock footage of African animals, etc.) but all the natural bird sounds used in the location shootings in Mexico are of birds strictly native to America...

Vidiot and jbmcb like this.
  3. The stock footage idea has been my go to reasoning for a long time...It makes sense.
    That does not change the perception of a teen watching the beige Mercedes, with argent alloy wheels, speed away and suddenly the hubcap of a red 1966 Mustang is full screen for the spinning tire.

ParloFax likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes, it does post a photo, after using the link I provided, then copying the IMG link provided, and pasting it into the Link side of the Link / Unlink box that shows in all our open posts.
    Example :

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

In the one and only season of the 30-minute "Honeymooners", Norton got a dog in "The Sleepwalker" but was wildly allergic to dogs in "A Dog's Life".

[​IMG]

Who knew these shows would air more than once, back in the era of 39 episodes and "summer replacements"?

6. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Another continuity problem in "Seinfeld." In Episode 1 of Season 2, "The Ex-Girlfriend", George is upset because he left some of his books behind in the apartment of a woman he broke up with, and is worried he will not be able to get them back. In later seasons, George is depicted as not interested in spending time reading books, to put it mildly.

The Ex-Girlfriend - Wikipedia

Kassonica, bekayne and ParloFax like this.
  7. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

As long as Elizabeth Montgomery was in the shot, they could have changed the entire set with different furniture between commercials and I would not have noticed.

Karnak, smilin ed, Gumboo and 12 others like this.
  8. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

"Flipper" was the worst, stock footage galore, shots of Flipper in the ocean then goes to underwater and it looks to be five feet deep. Then the hurricane force winds on Sandy during a storm and the palm tree in the background barely moves. Also, Flipper loved the camera.

Gumboo, Vidiot and ParloFax like this.
  9. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

The Big Bang Theory has a bunch, too...just one that comes to mind is that in an early episode Sheldon states that he can't dance. But later in the series he says he was forced to attend cotillions as a boy, goes dancing with the girls and is quite good at it.

bekayne and Dudley Morris like this.
  10. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

And those Monkees....how in the world does a perpetually out-of-work band afford to live in a Malibu beach house, drive a custom GTO, and date a different girl every week?

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Mike's Mom sent money. :agree:

12. Linus

Linus Senior Member

The number of times an Australian Kookaburra’s distinctive call is heard during a African jungle scene too!

Scooterpiety, Cousin It and ParloFax like this.
  13. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

There was a cat in the first episode of The Brady Bunch. Fluffy was never seen, or mentioned again.

altaeria likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe they actually lived in Venice (at least in the show), and in 1966, there were some rundown apartment buildings that were somewhat affordable back then, especially if you split the rent 4 ways. Can't help you with the custom car or the girls. I'm guessing maybe they had a lot of coke and pot on hand, and that covered both.

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

At the end of an episode of "Leave It To Beaver" in the first season, the Cleaver boys were given a puppy by their parents (to replace their pet alligator that became to large to keep), but it was never seen again, or mentioned, for the rest of the series.

16. ParloFax

Ha! I ignored it, but this one surely takes the cake!

17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'll assume the first 2 men to share a double bed on screen was Morecambe & Wise, and nobody batted an eyelid!

[​IMG]

18. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

These guys shared a bed first...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

For this post I present to you a laurel, and hearty handshake.

[​IMG]

20. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

Airwolf ; as a plane nerd it would greatly annoy me when they would constantly misidentify the cold war stock footage of jets!

ParloFax likes this.
  21. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

That post just made me laugh out loud!! Luckily I'm in the home office so only the dog was looking at me weird...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    RayS likes this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yet, they wouldn't show a man and a woman in bed together. How crazy the world was back then.

Lost In The Flood and Phil147 like this.
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That reminds me, I have the B&W version of the first season and never even cracked it open. I bought it before the B&W version disappeared.

Other than that, pertaining to your topic, I always noticed how little things changed from episode to episode on various shows. I think a lot of it is because the shows were aired out of sequence from when they were taped. One thing I always noticed is how The Brady's dog Tiger and the cat suddenly disappeared despite the dog house still being in the yard.

24. ParloFax

This is a likely explanation, yes.

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Actually, it was mentioned (very briefly) in a later episode... there was some particular item/object/thing that Beaver wanted (maybe even another pet of some sort?) that would require a lot of responsibility, and Ward said something like "Remember the puppy you had? You couldn't handle taking care of him, so we had to give him away".

I don't know which episode that scene is from, but I'm 99.9% sure I didn't imagine it. :D At least they made an attempt to explain the puppy's disappearance...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.