Maddening inconsistencies/discontinuities in old TV shows: forgot how to watch with "old eyes"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ParloFax, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Mayfield Press = fake news

2. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

And no signs of bending either, even the corners are perfectly intact!
    I was attaching mine to the bike frame with clothespins,so they could rub over the spokes of the wheels to make my bicycle sound like a motorcycle.

3. HudsonDuster

HudsonDuster Forum Resident

"Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up ?"
    Right before the man returns to the roadside diner, you used to hear a gigantic crashing noise, this being the bridge giving way and sending the police car and the bus with everyone on board going down into the water. The man described it, but that crash noise ramped up the horror.
    HD

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Forum Resident

I reckon that having all them other folks around wasn't conducive to canoodling...

[​IMG]

willwin likes this.
  5. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Quite often, Ray Barone ('Everybody Loves Raymond') gets into bed with his socks and watch still on.

Carrie and Doug Heffernan (The King Of Queens) must be flashers.
    I rarely, if ever, see the blinds closed at night when they’re getting ready for, or slipping into bed.

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

not on topic but I was watching Running Scared on amazon...kind of a run of the mill buddy cop movie with billy crystal and was marveling at the fake snow that's in half the scenes....so obviously spray foam its hard not the laugh...and to make it stranger there are some scenes with real snow making the fake snow really stand out

Steve Litos likes this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Everyone remembers the episode where it's revealed that Venus is an AWOL soldier named Gordon Sims. Fewer people remember the last season flashback episode where he shows up at Andy's new apartment in Cincinnati and is instantly greeted as Gordon.

8. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

well,little Ritchie came from SOMEWHERE:pineapple:

willwin likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'm not very far into this thread, so I don't know if anybody answered this or not, but regarding sets changing for awhile, then back, then to the new set again-This can be explained easily enough... Shows aren't always shown in the order they were filmed, so they could have aired some episodes shot on the original set, then aired a few that were on the revamped set, and then maybe a couple more that were shot while the show was still being shot on the original set...

ParloFax likes this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Probably on the ottoman.

11. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

Or in his office at work while that weasel Mel watched

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Season 6 of M*A*S*H starts out with Radar and Potter up on the helipad waiting for the return of Frank Burns (who ever shows). While there, Potter gives Radar his alleged first puff on a cigar, which of course has Radar in a coughing fit.

Season 2 of M*A*S*H has two episodes that show Radar puffing on cigars. All part of the inconsistency of the Radar character throughout the series.

Jimmy B. and Grand_Ennui like this.
  13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It's not just that Chuck vanished, but he was completely deleted from everyone's memory. I remember reading that in a later episode the father mentions his two children...not three.

If I remember correctly, in the episode where Jeannie and Tony get married, they go through an elaborate plot (which includes the use of a mannequin that Jeannie makes look like herself and Jeannie controls remotely) to make it appear that Jeannie can be photographed. Still, there was a problem because Jeannie had to be there when the actual vows were taken.

In the recasting of Dick Sargent as Darren on Bewitched they tried to ease the transition by re-running Darren-less episodes during the Summer Hiatus, with the new Darren debuting with the new season.

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A little off-topic, but I see maddening continuity errors in movies more than on TV shows. I forgot the title, but I was watching a Spanish movie and during a scene with two 12 year old boys talking to each other, one was wearing white knee socks. When the camera cut to the other boy then back to the first, he's suddenly wearing black mid-calf socks! I've seen shirts change color/pattern in the middle of scene, the way hair is combed--you name it! Food and drink can often change, too--perhaps a half-eaten pie is suddenly uneaten, a glass of wine mysteriously changes amount without anyone taking a sip, etc. Just how hard is it to keep track of these things? There's no excuse for clothes changing in the same scene. Obviously scenes sometimes require more than one day of filming, but the continuity person should notice changes of clothing...or perhaps the actors themselves.

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I remember watching a soap once where the last scene of the episode was picked up at the beginning of the next day's show but the actor had gotten a hair cut and appeared to have put on a few pounds overnight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.