Made In Japan Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by astro8585, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I always skip the Mule. Rest is awesome. I have the 24k DDC Cd I picked up new in 1998.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  2. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I skipped Denmark because I've seen it so many times + more than so many on YouTube. Mono I think.
    I watched NY 73 from it, that's in Stereo

danielbravo likes this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

Love the song.....but I usually FF the drum solo to check out the big finish, and... Ian Paice on the drums, yes!!!! :D

supernaut likes this.
  4. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

Ian and Richie going back and forth on their twin solo's is priceless. I own a white label promo (US pressing) along with the Purple label UK copy. Both are tremendous analog pressings.

stax o' wax likes this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

:thumbsup:

Dondy likes this.
  6. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I don't have the video from the Copenhagen show, I have the audio CD and I really like it a lot. I have certainly seen the videos from Demark '72 and NY '73 but I don't have the DVD.
    I don't really see many videos

Mowgli likes this.
  7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I keep thinking about "KISS Alive II", how it won an award, when in fact it was overly reproduced in the studio afterwards. So I've heard, please don't quote me!

And yes the "Made in Japan" album Rocks!

8. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

This thread has sparked off Purplethon 2018.
    A three day year end celebration of Deep Purple.
    With guests - Thin Lizzy, Nazareth, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, and Rainbow.

9. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I'll skip the special guests, but over the last 2 days I listened to In Rock, Fireball and Machine Head and now I'm ready to give this live monster another go :cool:

danielbravo likes this.
  10. stax o' wax

Listening to Deep Purple - Made In Japan (WB, LP) for the first time on this particular turntable - my VPI Super Prime Scout.
    The VPI table really revealed the low end heft to Glovers Bass and Paice's kit.
    This has to be the best sounding live album I have ever heard.
    Huge dynamic range, well balanced instrument mix, the drum kit is right there.
    Couple that with the fact that the band is red hot and you really have something special.
    Hats off to Martin Birch for the production on this.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    supernaut, Northwind, petercl and 5 others like this.
  11. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Absolutely love it. I guess this was their live peak but was it on the tour for Machine Head or for Who do we think we are? I imagine the former, in which case what were they like on the tour for the latter?

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The peak of MKII was 71 and 72. IMO

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Nothing comes close to MIJ. Unleashed in the East or Live and Dangerous were doctored in the studio. UFO’s Strangers in the Night had some good moments, also Heep‘s Live 1973.

danielbravo likes this.
  14. stax o' wax

I mostly agree.
    ELP - Welcome back my friends has an incredible performance but doesn't have the sound quality to compete.
    Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees has the performance, but once again doesn't have the sound quality to match.
    Yes - Yessongs - same story as above.
    King Crimson - USA same as above
    Rush - All The World's A Stage same as above
    Led Zeppelin - comes damn close with the newly remastered The Song Remains The Same and How The West Was Won.

danielbravo likes this.
  15. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Certainly Humble Pie "Perfomance / Rockin 'The Fillmore" gets a little closer ...

16. stax o' wax

Good Point.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

ELP, Yes, King Crimson? Great musicians, but different music. I would never compare any ELP live record to Deep Purple.

18. stax o' wax

We were discussing great live albums that's why those comparisons were brought up.
    However;
    lots of similarities with these two (ELP and Purple) because both bands were heavily influenced by classical music.
    ELP just took it into a much more progressive format with a different band structure.
    Deep Purple did an album of classical music with a symphony.
    Jon Lord was a huge fan of Keith Emerson and visa versa.
    Both bands possessed incredible drummers.
    Bombastic rock with an incredible keyboard attack.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Have another listen to USA - great recording, great musicians. For even better sound quality King Crimson, Try The Great Deceiver set.
    Led Zeppelin's sets are pretty good.
    Humble Pie's Performance is the closest to Made In Japan.

stax o' wax and danielbravo like this.
  20. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

JMO but there are a number of live albums from that era which are high quality performances and sound quality and not sweetened in the studio which rival MIJ. I am not criticizing MIJ as it is one of my favorite live albums and one of the greatest of all time but thre are some really great live albums that give it a run for the money if you happen to be a fan of the bands.

Allman Brothers- Fillmore East, "You Don't Love Me" was made up of two different night songs but no studio additions. The recent complete box set is fantastic and all songs are complete now. The new Vinyl box set has a complete and different nights take of You Don't Love Me".
    Humble Pie- Rockin the Fillmore, the complete concert box set sounds even better IMHO and was mixed by Frampton and Shirley.
    Johnny Winter And Live- Meantown Blues was edited but no studio enhancement. The complete Feb 1970 Fillmore concert has been released in excellent quality with the complete Meantown Blues.
    Uriah Heep Live- if you are a fan of Heep this is a stellar live album
    The Cult- Live at the Marquee Club
    The Doors- Live in New York, CD box set of the Felt Forum concerts
    Yes-Progeny Highlights LP, blows away Yessongs in sound quality although some fan complain Chris Squire's bass is too low in the mix. I don't think so and a great Yes live LP. Brian Kehew who mixed the tapes claims he used no audio compression in the mixing.
    Thin Lizzy- Still Dangerous ( Philly 1977) has some of the tracks that were on Live and Dangerous but with no overdubs and sounds great.

stax o' wax and danielbravo like this.
  21. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

I agree, I always felt this album didn't add anything to their career

22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

C'mon, man! It's Made In Japan - a live album with all the tracks turbo'ed into the stratosphere, and superbly recorded to boot. Totally disagree with your post here, but isn't it wonderful that we don't all have the same views. Kind of explains why the Bay City Rollers managed to roll at all. No accounting for taste.

Leroyd, danielbravo and stax o' wax like this.
  23. stax o' wax

Well other than $$$, fame, and glowing reviews from fans and the press you would be right.
    I'm sure Kiss felt the same way with their "Alive" album....another album that just did nothing for our career.
    o_O

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  24. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Sad thing about Made In Japan is that it was essentially the end of Mk II as less than a year after it was recorded they were done. They struggled to record Who Do We Think We Are and that was the end.

danielbravo likes this.
  25. zen

zen Senior Member

Machine Head tour. At that moment in time (Aug. '72), they were in the process of recording another studio album. Woman From Tokyo/Painted Horse (taped in July 1972) and the remaining tracks were taped in October '72, after more touring. I think the "Who do we think we are" tour began in January '73....when they added "Mary Long" to the set list.

Mowgli, Madrid and danielbravo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.