Madness & Solo Albums Poll!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Apr 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

It's worth looking at every few years, I'd say. For those of us very familiar with the original studio versions, the fact that these are much later versions with slightly altered arrangements can be a tiny bit jarring... something I found... but from the second viewing I found it really good. That the keyboard errors were not fixed shows its an honest representation and they were not up for glossing anything like that over. Which is cool, in my book!

To have the LP would be lovely... I've never owned a copy and can't remember seeing it for a long time. Could go for serious pennies now - I dread to think what an LP of The Madness might fetch...

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It could do, but I don't like live albums much to be honest. Generally I only really like soul ones (Sam Cooke, James Brown, Etta James) and the occasional very special rock ones (Bob Dylan 1966 & a few others, early Neil Young, the best Jimi ones) a lot. I sold the LP as I had the DVD. Probably got less than £2 for it!

I recently missed out on a vinyl The Madness in a charity shop but I had no chance. A volunteer or staff member got it. She's a fan though and had no idea that it rare.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is really amazing:

The 'Retro' Madness Shop

Never was aware that there is so much stuff. But then again: When was 1979 again? Last year?? :hide:

Peace N. Love and OneStepBeyond like this.
  4. OneStepBeyond

Nah - about a week ago, to my reckoning... :uhhuh:

Peace N. Love and Neonbeam like this.
  5. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Glad to see a decent showing for Keep Moving, but I still feel the need to encourage people to revisit that LP.

6. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

I rate The Liberty of Norton Folgate as the best Madness album since the band reformed. The box set version is excellent, with some decent tracks that are not on the standard release.
    You would be "doo lally lob, boy" not to "join the fish and chip parade" and grab yourself a copy, according to a certain Mr Smash.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  7. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

These albums are all awesome, but to limit space in my library I only own One step beyond and Absolutely.

8. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Big Madness fan here but if you don't include all the albums it's a bit pointless. Especially Cathal Smyth - A Comfortable Man.
    I'll pass on this poll

9. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

One Step Beyond...
    Absolutely (sentimental favorite as this album introduced me to the group)
    The Rise & Fall
    Keep Moving (my favorite)
    Mad Not Mad (underrated)

Peace N. Love and OneStepBeyond like this.
  10. Francophile50

Absolutely was my introduction as well. I remember coming home and listening to my brothers album playing asking "who the hell is this? " I remember the song Baggy trousers, and You're an embarrassment.

OneStepBeyond and Two Sheds like this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I know it's not a choice, but.......
    [​IMG]
    It's HIT after HIT....and, NO "Our House"!

PJayBe, rediffusion and OneStepBeyond like this.
  12. OneStepBeyond

Well, I certainly cannot disapprove of owning those two... but... is there no way you'd at least have space for The Rise And Fall (making it their three best IMO) and the Divine Madness compilation as well? Too many great singles to miss out on without that.

If you need help making space, I can PM you my postal address but just can't afford any postage costs sorry. I'm not asking a lot. I jest! Don't worry, I've already tried this one out some years ago... not on you though of course. :D

Peace N. Love and Francophile50 like this.
  13. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

The Liberty of Norton Folgate is their masterpiece....

14. OneStepBeyond

Ah, that's because this album came out before The Rise And Fall album and its singles (Our House, Tomorrow's Just Another Day/Madness Is All In The Mind) was released. It did have the added bonus of including It Must Be Love though, which wasn't included on an LP until now and IIRC that was the last single released when this was out.

Carlox likes this.
  15. OneStepBeyond

I played that again ther day, must be about the dozenth time now and although I'm still not 'totally there' it is getting better and better with each listen, I can say that. Hard to say how I'd rate it but they made just SO many great albums in the first few years... which makes it problematic for me lol.

16. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Love a bit of Madness, but have always usually settled on greatest hits rather then explore their albums. Still huge and draw a massive live audience still feel they are underrated with critics who normally gush over The Specials despite them being less productive.

17. OneStepBeyond

Considering this album was out in 1988, vinyl records had hardly died the death then... maybe another year and a bit later I was surprised and dismayed to see WH Smiths cut right down on them and then soon after, nothing but CDs and cassettes. Almost always a tad more expensive than Woolies and indie stores might be a partial answer to that although as ever it was worth a look in case they had something others didn't.

Some of my mates still didn't have a CD player until 1990/1. It makes me wonder how few copies it actually sold!

And why even the CD is/can still be seen going for silly amounts? I noticed mine is starting with disc rot the other day. Do I now have another answer that I didn't really want? I just hope like with a few others, it stops at some point while it is still playable..

18. OneStepBeyond

It's probably this slightly 'novelty' thing they have been tagged with since early on... where the Specials are seen as more serious. In truth, I'd say I love both bands about equally even if there is this big difference in their output. I suppose the Nutty Boys thing was a bit of a gimmick that stuck and it is what it is - doesn't bother me that much and when people really explore their hits properly and albums too, things open up a lot more than them just being a happy-go-lucky bunch of lads. I've still yet to see them live!

I do feel I have to add though that I thought the last Madness album (Can't Touch Us Now) is a great listen, if not 'classic' but the recent Specials one (Encore) is just okay in comparison and I'm glad I bought the 2LP version with the bonus live disc which I do like better than the actual album itself. Still good to have something new from Terry and co. though and he has released some nice solo material too.

Greg Smith likes this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

The first five because it's classic Madness innit. After that I'd pick Norton Folgate.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

A brilliant comp, I had that along with the single 'Our House' as a kid.:D

I would wager that this is a better collection. It basically covers all the albums from the 'classic' years and still has good mastering.

[​IMG]

21. Francophile50

I do own Rise and fall on vinyl. It's an import and it's absolutely beautiful. The pictures and the production of it are stunning. Maybe I should own the CD version of it. The thing is the reason I bought One step beyond and Absolutely is because they were the 35th anniversary albums and had so much and were very inexpensive so I couldn't say no. Let me see if I can make room.

One thing I can definitely say about Madness they are inspired if not brilliant. What I truly like about them if they can take anything and make it good. It's good to see that they're still producing music.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Peace N. Love likes this.
  22. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

^ this

PJayBe likes this.
  23. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Nice to meet you - I am the other person whose favorite album is Keep Moving - I no longer feel alone. :)

LoveYourLife and Two Sheds like this.
  24. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Fist pump to the other person who picked The Dangermen Sessions

LoveYourLife likes this.
  25. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

Absolutely is my favourite nowadays. I also have a soft spot for Keep moving, some great tracks on that album.

Peace N. Love likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.