Madonna album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aseriesofsneaks, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I'm not sure why Brian Chin had the impression Madonna was a 'duo' (?!) :wtf:. So, who was the theoretical second person? Madonna was doing track dates then, with her friend Erika Belle and her brother Christopher Ciccone as back-up dancers (the duo who back her in the "Lucky Star" video). So even if Chin had seen her in that context, they would have looked like a trio (or perhaps he thought Belle was in the 'duo' and Ciccone was just a dancer). But... no, it beats me.

SITKOL'76 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

@aseriesofsneaks So, what do you think about "Like a Virgin"? *Cough Cough* The album that launched Madonna into super-stardom. ;)

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  3. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

jumping the gun Johnny!!
    [​IMG]

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's a strange one. Madonna had dancers with her then, but was always resolutely centre stage on her own.:)

Thom likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

We're four pages in already! :p I can hardly contain myself. LAV is my fav!

6. Bobby Morrow

I can't remember when I became aware of her as a singles artist. Possibly "Borderline", which may have been a reissue at the time. Record Mirror and Smash Hits, which I bought regularly then, began to feature her a fair bit.

John Adam likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

I think the OP said it would be an album a week. Hold your horses.:D

It's a great idea for a thread. There are a fair few Madonna fans on here. No real haters yet either. Which is also surprising on here.

8. JohnnyQuest

The love and fascination for Pop music is growing with each passing day. Soon we'll all be discussing our favorite Madonna albums and songs together. :hugs: lol jk

9. johnaltman

well I like this one!!
    [​IMG]

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  10. JohnnyQuest

Well, show your love for it and tell us why you love it!

[​IMG]

:D

johnaltman likes this.
  11. johnaltman

well you know I'm more of a listener than a talker :p

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  12. JohnnyQuest

That made me chuckle. :) Fine.

Are you at least listening to the album? lol

13. johnaltman

well I meant listening to you all, but yes, that too :)

John Adam and JohnnyQuest like this.
  14. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

Reading this thread has made me want to listen to the album. I've not played it for probably a good 10 years or something. I've got the UK reissue where it's called The First Album with the poor artwork. Though a quick look on Amazon shows a vinyl version is available with the original artwork so tempted to pick that up. Only 8 tracks probably does seem short by today standards but I tend to prefer that. Often albums are too long these days. They are often issued on double vinyl and the times I listen to the 1st disc and think that's enough and don't brother listening to the 2nd half until a later date. To be me about 40 minutes is about the right length for an album.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The debut is possibly my favourite of the albums I've heard by her. I much prefer Madonna as a pop star to the more 'artistic' side of her music. I only have an average condition copy of the original vinyl of this. I love the sleeve. Simple and very cool. This got changed to a later colour photo and retitled 'The First Album' later on in the UK. It didn't look anywhere near as good.

The first three tracks are killer! They still sound both of their time but also fresh. Madonna's singing is great on this album. She sounds exciting, hungry, sexy, confident but it also has a naive charm, which soon disappeared! I've never liked Holiday much, even though it is a classic. Everybody is brilliant. I wish she'd recorded more stuff with that sound.

The vinyl I have (the German pressed for Europe original) sounds superb. I just need to find a nicer copy that hasn't been played hundreds of times! Understandable though. A great debut.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't trust people's judgement who can't get enjoyment from the joy of great pop music! Madonna's best singles are as good as it gets.

17. JohnnyQuest

Amen to that! :) They have also passed the test of time. Good music will prevail!

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good pop music always stands the test of time. There's many instances of the 'teenyboppers' being proved right! Sadly bad pop music gives pop a bad name. But bad rock music is equally, if not more vile!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Lord knows why they changed the artwork here.. It's one of the most distinctive things about the album!

20. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Madonna's first cover for Smash Hits in 1984. I see someone is already using this as their avatar.:)

21. JohnnyQuest

[​IMG]

22. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Hey great thread! I've already missed so much in just a few hours. :)

I love Madonna's first album! Just absolutely first-class dance pop music from start to finish. My favorite song is "Burning Up" but really it's one of those albums where each song fits the overall flow really well and I wouldn't substitute anything.

My mother-in-law just shared this picture with me yesterday on Facebook. Her own ticket stub from when she saw Madonna in Seattle in 1985. Pretty cool! She's a bit younger than my own parents and came of age during the '80s (my parents came of age during the '70s) so it's cool that she can share stuff like this with me.
    [​IMG]

23. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

Agreed! The artwork for the reissue looks cheap and nasty as well, like something someone knocked up in 5 minutes. Think I'm definitely going to pick up a copy with the correct artwork.

24. Bobby Morrow

The 2001 remastered CD included all the artwork for the original LP. IIRC, the earlier ones missed the back cover off...

Don't see the early vinyl much around these parts. Though I'm sure eBay will have plenty.:)

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I hardly never see the original album. That's why I picked up the one I have even though it's not in great condition.