Madonna album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aseriesofsneaks, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve never heard the Rebel Heart Tour and I think everyone knows what I think of Madame X, so I guess it’s goodbye to this thread from me.:D

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Listening to "Nothing Fails" again. Sweet Jesus, I've never heard a ****tier-sounding mix (or recording?) of a gospel choir. The digital clipping and distortion sounds like complete ass, but of course MADONNA's vocal sounds fine, so they must have thought it was a good idea to make them sound that way. God knows why.

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It was clearly intentional. Normally that stuff annoys me but I kinda liked the effect on that one song, for whatever reason. One of the highlights of the terribly uneven American Life.

April Snow likes this.
  4. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I love it - in fact I love the whole album - it was ahead of it's time and seems more relevant today.

5. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

can someone (with access to RS) copy/paste the full article in text here ?

thank you in advance :)

6. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

I need help from Madonna aficionados. I picked up a cassette at the thrift store today called Madonna Hits! But this is not a hits album and only has five songs (with two being soundtrack rarities). The track list is 1. Music 2. American pie 3. Ray of light 4. Frozen 5. Beautiful Stranger. Even stranger is that side A only has Guide vocals on the right channel and side B has the same 5 songs but with no vocals at all. What is this release? I cant seem to find any info about it?

7. ascot

ascot Senior Member

That sounds like some kind of karioke tape.

8. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

i was thinking something like that too. But strange that it has vocals from one side

9. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been meaning to revive this thread for a while now to cover Madonna's post-Rebel Heart releases. With the physical release of Finally Enough Love less than two weeks away, now seems like the perfect time. I'll be covering Rebel Heart Tour shortly, then will move on to Madame X and Madame X: Music from the Theater Xperience by next weekend.

Bink likes this.
  10. aseriesofsneaks

[​IMG]

Rebel Heart Tour
    Release date: September 15, 2017
    Billboard 200 Chart Peak: n/a

Track list (DVD/Blu-ray):

01. Rebel Heart Tour Intro
    02. Iconic
    03. Bitch I'm Madonna
    04. Burning Up
    05. Holy Water/Vogue
    06. Devil Pray
    07. Messiah (Video Interlude)
    08. Body Shop
    09. True Blue
    10. Deeper and Deeper
    11. HeartBreakCity
    12. Like a Virgin
    13. S.E.X. (Video Interlude)
    14. Living for Love
    15. La Isla Bonita
    16. Dress You Up/Into the Groove
    17. Rebel Heart
    18. Illuminati (Video Interlude)
    19. Music
    20. Candy Shop
    21. Material Girl
    22. La Vie En Rose
    23. Unapologetic Bitch
    24. Holiday

Following the release of Rebel Heart, Madonna embarked on an 82-date worldwide tour from September 2015 to March 2016. While the tour didn't gross as much as her previous one for MDNA, it was still a huge success with a box office of US $169.8 million, extending her record as the highest-grossing solo touring artist.

In recent years, Madonna had established a pattern of releasing a live album and concert video after each tour and the Rebel Heart Tour was no different. The final two shows took place on March 19 and 20, 2016 at Allphones Arena in Sydney, Australia and were filmed for this release. The concert film first premiered on Showtime on December 9, 2016, with audio and video releases following in September 2017 on a variety of formats: a 22-track double CD, a 14-track single CD of highlights, DVD, Blu-ray, DVD + CD, Blu-ray + CD, and digital downloads. A 14-track 2LP set is also receiving a belated release next month.

Like most of Madonna's tours, the show was divided into four distinct acts: Joan of Arc/Sumurai, Rockabilly Meets Tokyo, Latin/Gypsy, and Party/Flapper. While the new album was still heavily represented in the set list, she also revisited more of her past hits than on some of her other tours; iconic singles like "La Isla Bonita", "Holiday" and "Like a Virgin" were performed alongside other songs she hadn't played in many years, such as "True Blue" and "Deeper and Deeper". The new material from Rebel Heart was well chosen, generally showcasing its strongest tracks, although I do wish "Ghosttown" and "Joan of Arc" had been included over the more gimmicky "Bitch I'm Madonna" and "Body Shop".

As to be expected, this was another visually stunning show and Madonna sounds great throughout (although, as with her other live releases, some of the vocals were likely redone, so not all of it is truly live). For me, this is her most satisfying live release since The Confessions Tour, and has held up well over multiple viewings. Sadly, it looks like this may possibly be the last document of a Madonna tour to get a physical release. This marked the first of her album releases to not chart on the Billboard 200 (although it did reach No. 20 on the US Digital Albums and No. 45 on the US Top Album Sales charts), which may have been a factor in her next live album, Madame X: Music from the Theater Xperience, being released only digitally.

Bink likes this.
  11. aseriesofsneaks

Here's Showtime's trailer for the concert film:

Bink likes this.
  12. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Nothing much to add except, I just turned 50 and I'm still in love with her. :love:
    Thats close to 38 years. Longer than my marriage lol.
    I'm strictly 80s output though but glad she's still around.

Bink, aseriesofsneaks and April Snow like this.
  13. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd