Madonna - Appreciation Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Or maybe she made the music she wanted to make.

Not sure why some people think that every dance pop singer deep down wants to be Joni Mitchell.

2. Oatsdad

That's the big question.

In the past, Madonna has been practical about this.

While Drowned World was a huge success in 2001, it left some disgruntled fans because she played so little from prior to 1994.

Rather than say "let them eat 'American Life'", she did Re-Invention, which while not a true "hits tour" was much more "casual fan friendly". She appeared to know another "nothing from the 80s" tour would really alienate the audience.

Same thing in 2015, as "Rebel Heart" was much more of a nod to the hits than she'd done in a while.

My gut says the next tour will emphasize a fan-friendly vibe: more hits, starting at a reasonable hour, etc.

Maybe she's gone bonkers enough that she'll ignore the career writing on the wall and continue down a path to limited concert appeal, but Madonna's awfully smart - and awfully interested in retaining a spot in the pop stratosphere.

She seems unlikely to want to keep shooting herself in the foot.

warewolf95 and Elliottmarx like this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

That's why I have given up following her on social media, I only follow Madonna Tribe fan page, just to get information on her releases

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Trust me I like Madonna I just came across this article. It doesn't surprise me for Madonna to do something like this. She's a media hound and doesn't mind the attention both positive or negative. I don't mind it Madonna has always been fun and fare about any public images of her.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  7. Bink

8. Martin Byrne

Martin Byrne Forum Resident

Hopefully whatever they put out will sound better than this:

foobar2000 1.6.7 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2022-12-09 01:29:37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Madonna / Gambler
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR4 0.00 dB -5.60 dB 3:51 01-Gambler (7" Version)
    DR4 0.00 dB -5.53 dB 5:40 02-Gambler (Extended Dance Mix)
    DR5 0.00 dB -6.04 dB 3:54 03-Gambler (Instrumental Remix)

Number of tracks: 3
    Official DR value: DR5

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1096 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

(To be fair, most of the digital singles and the You Can Dance Single Edits release are much better, but Gambler and Everybody have been real let-downs.

Hep Alien and Bink like this.
  9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Has there been any leaks re the new albums?

10. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

gonna go ahead and guess that anything that can't be taken straight from a readily available CD single* is going to suffer this pitiable fate. happy to be wrong, of course

(*which is also why these sporadic streaming debuts have been heavy on '90s stuff)

Martin Byrne likes this.
  11. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Madonna in a Chilean stadium next October ?

[​IMG]
    source: La Ozpedia Peppers

Billy_Sunday and Bink like this.
  12. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Wonder if we are getting new music, Madonna on Instagram says coming soon, but not what it is?

13. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Her electronic music is some of the finest material in her catalog, IMO.

14. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Not a hugs fan. But certainly do appreciate some Madonna at times.

Ray of Light is my "go to" usually. Love that whole ambient vibe. Some of it reminds me of Garbage.

warewolf95 and GoodKitty like this.
  15. Bink

Rain video now in HD:

Hep Alien, 905, FrankieMax and 5 others like this.
  16. Senjutsu

Senjutsu Well-Known Member

warewolf95 and bob60 like this.
  17. Bink

Happy Christmas (to those who celebrate it).

18. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Everyone I know is horrified the weird way she looks after plastic surgery. Women tell me she is no longer a role model.

I still have a fondness for her 80's stuff, but Ray of Light was what impressed me most.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  19. ascot

ascot Senior Member

HD Tracks has a live Madonna album that was put up this month called Zip City: 1985 Radio Broadcast. The photo is from Live Aid but it's a complete show from the Virgin Tour. Listening to the samples I had a suspicion of what this was and after buying the album I was right.

It's a soundboard recording from one of her Los Angeles shows April 26, 27 or 28, 1985. The crowd is mixed very low and there's an audible hum between tracks. This has been on bootleg since the late 80's originally released as Pop Tart. It's not on Spotify and I don't know about other services.

20. Oatsdad

Does HD Tracks typically offer bootlegs?

21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I don't know. They have those Pink Floyd concerts from 1972 which are bootleg quality.

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

If I knew back then what I know about the "Rebel Heart" tour today, I would have gone. "Burning UP!"

23. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

24. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

25. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

So what happened to Madonna's ability to sell out Stadiums since her last Stadium shows in 2012's MDNA Tour? I know she performed at a Maluma Stadium show earlier this year.

Rebel Heart seemed everywhere, though sales wise none of the singles charted well. I remember hearing "Living for Love and "Ghosttown" on mainstream chart radio. She promoted the singles on all the major award shows and TV Shows. The album hit #2 in the USA and UK and went top 10 in every country it was released it, and tour was successful so it was business as usual for Madonna.

"Medellín" did do as well commercially, but again was performed on a major awards show '2019 Billboard Music Awards'. "Crave" seemed to do a little better making the UK top 50, it was a much better song too. Madame X was promoted on Eurovision, and Madonna appeared on major TV shows for interviews and performances.Madame X was a USA #1 album and UK #2, so the album was well received too. It was just the right mix of experimental and the current sound of the time, and had the potential to appeal to a mainstream casual audience, and long time fans looking for something a little more left field.

The Madame X Tour though accompanied by issues, was a good show and if ticket prices were more reasonable from the get go I think Madonna at smaller venues would be a sell out for sure. But maybe people wanted the huge stadium shows from Madonna, and not a more theatrical performance. I think Drowned Would would have benefit from smaller venues, as there was so many theatrical elements.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    Billy_Sunday likes this.