Madonna - Appreciation Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Feb 8, 2020.

1. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

Well, "VULGAR" just 'dropped' I guess. Um, it's probably alright after you've had a few drinks. It reminds me of 'B!tch I'm Madonna'/'Tens' by J-Lo, with a hint of Act Of Contrition meets Vogue at the Superbowl.

ejluther and rfkavanagh like this.
  2. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Well that was... something. Not really for me. It just feels so try-hard and tiresome - it's not even interesting enough to have strong negative feelings about. Bring back some melody and lyrics that aren't about self-lionization.

3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

So interesting to me that the song, that is very much in line with a classic Madonna tune, that was released last Friday received no notice in this thread. I've been playing it all week, and in that time it's had nearly 17M streams on Spotify - on its way to being a real hit.

It's essentially a Weeknd song, but Madonna gets an entire verse and is more than just a feature.

ejluther and rfkavanagh like this.
  4. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Well, it's better than Vulgar, but that's not saying much. It wouldn't be out of place in the Hard Candy era, I suppose, although more as a cast-off that wasn't good enough for the album. :D

Madonna's input on the track is minimal and so pitch-corrected that she sounds like an AI approximation of what it thinks Madonna sounds like.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  5. Elliottmarx

Vulgar is definitely in the Sofi Tukker template - I love what Sofi Tukker do, so this works for me.
    Seems like a fine song for dance clubs during Pride month. Certainly not great by any measure, but fun enough.

ejluther likes this.
  6. Elliottmarx

The Weeknd stated that he would enjoy producing an entire Madonna project, he is a master of getting retro sounds - I'd be interested.
    Yes, her pitch correction is audible and while not a deal-breaker, I wish it is wasn't there - not because I don't appreciate the effect (I think Playboi Carti sounds fine) but because
    it seems unnecessary on her vocal. Anyway I am thrilled that this Weeknd track is getting some plays, and hope it is known enough to be performed on her tour.

7. in_the_fog

in_the_fog Forum Resident

How can it “more” than a feature when Madonna didn’t write a single line?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  8. Elliottmarx

Authorship is not in question when an artist is featured on a song. Madonna would have received a "featuring" credit just for the brief spoken introduction - but she does more than that by singing an entire verse.

9. in_the_fog

in_the_fog Forum Resident

The song has six writers (not sampling credits) and none of the being Madonna. So I was just curious about the “more” part, when she is just lending her vocals to an already written track (had she contributed to melody or anything else, she would have a credit)

I don’t follow Madonna (I check all kind of threads), but your statement just made scratch my head. Featured/guest vocalist or rappers usually sing/rap a verse, so that is not odd at all and doesn’t constitute anything outside the norm in pop music.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  10. Elliottmarx

I think my original intention has been somewhat lost. Last Friday, Madonna had a key feature on a Weeknd song; it's even getting good streaming numbers. It's a full-fledged song with a fair bit of melody. Pretty good for a surprise release. And she sings a full verse.

Today she released a more-hyped song with Sam Smith. Unlike the Weeknd song, Vulgar is really slight - not memorable. However, unlike last week's success (which went unnoticed) Vulgar received negative reviews on this thread within minutes of its release.

I was just trying to point out that the Sam Smith song felt like just a feature, where as Popular feels like "more" than a feature.

Popular has potential of becoming her biggest pop hit in years: Vulgar on the other hand will get some dance floor spins. Though I wouldn't have guessed Smith's Body Shop would be the hit it was, so what do I know? I guess I felt the need to shine a light on, what to my ears, is the more successful collaboration.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Neither song sounds particularly substantial to me as Madonna songs.

Vulgar sounds like the sort of thing that Madonna would play as a segue during her shows while she is changing costumes. I can actually see the dancers marching up and the runway to this song!

Popular is OK but she isn't a prominent enough presence on this for me to want to play it more than once.

12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I suppose when you hear that Sam Smith and Madonna have collaborated on a song called Vulgar, you’re not really expecting Up Where We Belong.:D

It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever heard. If it were on a Madonna album, I probably wouldn’t skip it. But it’s not something I’d seek out either.:)

At this point, I don’t really know what sort of album I’d like from Madonna anymore… My favourite LP is True Blue, but to try and recapture that would be doomed to failure now.

RSteven, Man at C&A, Armjim and 6 others like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I just hate Sam Sh!t so I won't even be listening.

PH416156 and moops like this.
  14. Br3tto

Br3tto Forum Resident

Vulgar?

I can’t stand Sam Smith so I was expecting to not like this song but after first listen I’m enjoying it. Good Erotica era vibes mixed with Rebel Heartness. Smith is kept to a minimum which I think helps.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  15. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Yes! And the short length only adds to its “segue” feel. As for “Popular” - it’s catchy and I’m glad she’s on it but, like others, it doesn’t really click as a Madonna! track with me. I also need to hear them both more - I’ve had decades to love much of her music and her new stuff deserves some time, too…

KJTC, Elliottmarx and Bink like this.
  16. 905

905 Senior Member

I know it gets mixed reviews among the faithful, but I'm listening to Hard Candy now and really digging it.
    Heartbeat- Miles Away- She's Not Me :pleased:

17. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I also think “The Beat Goes On” is a very worthwhile track on HC…

sunspot42, Stencil, 905 and 2 others like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I always liked Hard Candy. I prefer it to Confessions.

905, KJTC and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's fighting talk lol

sunspot42, MikeManaic61, KJTC and 2 others like this.
  20. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Vulgar is awful.

efegarcia likes this.
  21. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I’ll go even further. I like every studio album she’s made since Confessions more than Confessions, despite Confessions including my all time favorite Madonna track (“Hung Up.”)

I also like Music, American Life, and Confessions more than Ray of Light.

And I think Bedtime Stories and Like a Virgin are her two worst albums.

Bink likes this.
  22. StacyAtlas83

StacyAtlas83 Forum Resident

I don't think it's hard for her to focus on the past. Finally Enough Love and her upcoming tour entirely focuses on the past.

23. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Well, we’ve yet to see what the tour will really be like - I don’t think the past is ever her true first priority but YMMV, of course…

24. StacyAtlas83

StacyAtlas83 Forum Resident

The Celebration Tour, her 12th, is the first to celebrate four decades of music and her greatest hits! So, the tour's content is pointing to the past.

ejluther likes this.
  25. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Honestly I went into this with an open mind, but after listening to "Vulgar" a few times I find it to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Crude and devoid of basic musical qualities such as melody or lyrics with any substance, and a below-par production. No idea how well it will do outside of the USA, but here I suspect it will receive minimal attention for a few weeks and quickly be forgotten by all but the most devoted fans. I'm already trying to forget it!

RSteven and StacyAtlas83 like this.