Madonna - Appreciation Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

If she's signing a 360 deal with Warner's, I'm sure a negotiating point is a greatest hits - type stadium tour.
    Instead of a film with Diablo Cody, I'd have to imagine that a successful Broadway show would be more lucrative - and also more of a risky endeavor.
    No matter, I'm ready for a new wave of Madonna appreciation - and Warner's, with their budget can remind the world why she's such a big star in the first place.

2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think it needs to be an 'either or' situation. You can make strong albums without rappers or making cover albums.

I remember when The Flaming Lips made their most successful album The Soft Bulletin, they had expected it to be their last album so they decided to stop making the kind of album that they thought people would like and just make an album that would please them.

It may be that Madonna is making the kind of albums she wants to make but I do get the impression that she would be making a different kind of album if she was just pleasing herself.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I honestly think Madame X was Madonna doing what she wanted, it reminded me of American Life (also produced by Mirwais, was also a chart sales failure that divides fans down the middle) in the sense that she was marching to her own drummer and not trying to go for the hits. Sure it had guests, but there certainly wasn't anything on there that felt like it was deliberately made to be a hit the way 4 Minutes or Hung Up (which I love, but it was certainly her "I'm back!!!" statement) were. I think after "Bitch I'm Madonna" being a tailor-made hit only going to #84 in the US and that was with the video going viral briefly and being loaded with superstar guests, she seems to realize that chapter in her career is behind her.

Bink likes this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I have to disagree about Bitch I'm Madonna being a tailor-made hit. It getting as high as 84 was probably generous and probably only because the video was so popular because of all of the stars in it. That is a terrible song (IMO) that I don't think would have been a big hit in any era.

5. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

well it being terrible is more an opinion on the pop music of 2015... it musically was very much in sync with what was on the charts at the time and Madonna probably hoping she could ride on some of the popularity of that type of music

6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I think realistically this far down the line any deal is mostly to do with Madonna's back catalogue. Sure they will release new albums but how many heritage artists sell albums these days.
    Madonna has an excellent back catalogue and Warner Bros will be wanted to exploit that and remind the world of just how fantastic an artist she is.
    Madonna has everything to gain and nothing to lose by them doing this.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. Bink

I would love it if Madonna's next album was a completely different sound and she really thought outside the box.

I think back to when she made Ray of Light- this seemed to be a complete break from the past as she started to go in a more electronic direction. That seemed to lead just about every 'popstar' to do the same and that still seems to be the case 22 years later. Is there a pop star today not working in an electro pop format?

So what I would love is for Madonna to break the rules again and confound expectations. Some of the best albums are made when an artist collaborates with someone who is outside their usual frame of reference. Michael Jackson made his most successful work with someone who essentially came from the jazz world for example.

It may be that at this stage she does not necessarily sell in vast numbers, however if she can make an album that is admired by fans and critics by moving her sound forward I think she can demonstrate that she is still an artist with something to say.

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

A new album a break from the norm and an incredible producer.

These are two producers that come to mind.

Finneas Baird O'Connell

Metro Boomin

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  9. Bink

Do you have any suggestions who would be a good producer?

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  10. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

I somehow always forget about 'Heartbeat', and then after a couple of years when I'm listening to 'Hard Candy' again and 'Heartbeat' starts I am thoroughly enjoying it, thinking to myself "oh wow, I love this song, why has it been so long since I listened to this?!", and then the "see my booty get down like" part starts...

[​IMG]

MDNA4ever, bartels76 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Bink

This might seem a little left field- how about Dave Friddman?

And although I don't have any specific names, it would be interesting if she worked with someone from the jazz or opera world. Not that I am suggesting that she try to make an opera album but it might bring a different element to her music!

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's funny. You mention all of those artists, but in my mind, the artist that benefited the most from MTV . . . the guy who for 11 years had been among the biggest acts on the planet, but had only managed to crack the top 40 three times, but after getting in shape and shaving his beard suddenly had access to a completely different audience, and racked up 8 straight top 10 hits?

Bruce Springsteen.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Max Martin

Robert "John Mutt" Lange

It would be interesting to see Madge work with Lange. I don't think she would take to kindly to that idea. Maybe Lange could work some magic with Madge.

I mean Mutts success is incredible with many different artists the last few decades. She would probably want to go with a much younger producer.

Bink likes this.
  14. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Good call. Springsteen was already huge, but Born in the USA made him a mega-superstar. The album even has the sheen and sound of the 80's that you really don't hear on any of his other records.

joy stinson likes this.
  15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Bad idea because she'll be mercilessly attacked for "copying" Lady Gaga, since "You And I" which she had ab ig hit with was a collaboration with him. She needs to stay away from anyone that younger artists whose fanbases hate Madonna (Madonna vs. Gaga is a pretty nasty bloodbath in comment sections, though I like both)

Plus Max Martin is too synonymous with Britney

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As an aside, Mutt Lange ruined "You and I"!

I knew the song well before the "BTW" album hit - I saw the Monster Ball show many times and she did it at most of those concerts.

It was a lot more fluid and lively on stage before Mutt added his mechanical, plodding production.

Unfortunately, she bailed on the loose version from the 2010-11 tour and has only played the clunky Mutt one since then! :sigh:

ziggytvs likes this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Yeah I hear ya Mutt does mechanicalize things a bit. It would of been interesting if he worked with Madge early 90's before his work with Brittany and Gaga. I wonder what they would of turned out.
    Just hearsay but interesting to think about.

18. Oatsdad

I'm glad he didn't work with Madonna - I really don't like his production style!

19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I felt like she was going for a late 90s Shania homage there and it worked because the former Mr. Shania who produced those albums worked on hers too.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Mutt layers guitars on top of each other too much. Max is voice manipulation. Live Nation will continue on the merch and concerts. They got killed on the last record and tour net. She'll scale down the next tour to 1985 staging. Acoustic set added.

21. Oatsdad

I guess. I probably wouldn't have cared if I'd not already heard "You and I" like 15 times in its "pure form"!

22. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

☆ August 16 .... today is Madonna's 62nd birthday. :cheers:

I'd be grateful if anybody could date these pics .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cheers:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Q magazine’s review of Like A Prayer from May 1989.

[​IMG]

joy stinson, proedros, Thorpy and 8 others like this.
  24. MDNA4ever

MDNA4ever Boys in the Trees

Like a Prayer is her best album imo!

25. MDNA4ever

MDNA4ever Boys in the Trees

A complintation of the Queen's best dance breaks!!!

You go girl!!!!!!

#madonnarules