Madonna - Appreciation Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I love WTG as well. Yes it's cheesy but it's that type of silly endearing comedy that only could have been made circa 1987. Granted the first time I saw it, I was eight so perhaps that clouds my opinion because it's hilarious at that age

Torontotom and Bink like this.
  2. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Dat url!

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

4. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some images from the Like A Virgin cover shoot sessions. The dress is really beautiful. ;)

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sexy as ****!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

La Isla Bonita is a great song.

Anyway the lyrics are a mess. She throws in the mix Spain, San Pedro,tropical islands, (Spain isn't a tropical country)and in the video there are South American people playing flamenco.

A huge nonsense everything

8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Disagree strongly with everything.

And Jourgensen is a creep and jerk. His music smells

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I keep hoping that one day we'll get a "rarities" box set of remixes, B-Sides, demos, unreleased songs (and so on). There's plenty of material they could use.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh, just realized it's Like A Prayer you mentioned, while I thought it's Like A Virgin.
    Seems I had tired eyes yesterday, lol. But actually I'd like to see all her 1980s albums getting that deluxe edition treatment!

Bink and Jmac1979 like this.
  12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

They'll all come one day because of that copyright extension rule from the late 60s which explains all those super deluxe fiftieth anniversary releases loaded with unreleased vault material or else that unreleased stuff goes public domain which no label or artist wants even if it's "Take 8" of an album track

KJTC, GlassPepper and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

GlassPepper and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That’s a very accurate review.:)

Pretty much how I felt when I rented the VHS a few months after the movie was released...

DesertHermit and Oatsdad like this.
  15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

The Honestly though it depends how old you were when you first saw it. People who first watched it as kids love it, those who were adults when it came out hated it. At least we can agree it was a step above Shanghai Surprise where she was completely miscast as a missionary just because they wanted to do a Madonna/Sean movie. WTG was more of a movie for kids IMO

Bink likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

I can't remember if I saw the movie in 1987. If so, it was probably on VHS as well.

You know I've been a huge Madonna fan for many decades, and for years, I wanted to like her acting.

But eventually I had to accept that she can't act!

She was good in "League", though!

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. Oatsdad

You're probably right. I was 20 in 1987 so not a "kid" but not a "real adult", either.

When I wrote the linked review, though, I was in my 30s. Definitely not a kid! :D

Jmac1979 likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s odd that considering how great a performer she is that it doesn’t translate to acting at all! Then again, even the very best comedy actor couldn’t do much with Who’s That Girl..

GoodKitty and DesertHermit like this.
  19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I notice the people who mainly like it were the fans betweenmid/late 30s to early 40s, those who remember when it was a staple on HBO. It's a very cheesy movie and she's terrible as Nikki Finn but she was so childlike in it that kids loved it. It was the first time I'd watched her in a movie, I didn't see Susan until it had a repeat run on HBO around 1989-1990. It actually did play into my growing love for her when Like A Prayer came out and suddenly she had a drastic image overhaul and it made me appreciate her reinvention herself because the last time I'd seen her had been WTG and now with LAP, she'd killed Nikki off

20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's interesting isn't it. I remember an interview from the mid '90's when she she talked about the difference between being a pop singer and being an actress.

I am paraphrasing here but she said acting is about pretending to be someone else while being a pop singer is all about exaggerating who you are.

GoodKitty and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Like we said: people who were kids when it came out.

It's much easier to like a movie you remember fondly from childhood, though sometimes it can be painful to rewatch beloved movies and realize they're awful!

GoodKitty likes this.
  22. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

The single version of "Borderline" has clearly been edited down from a longer mix. It's a shame the longer version of that mix has never been released. "The First Album" reissue would have been a perfect place for it. Are any fans in contact with Jellybean Benitez? I wonder if he still has the longer remix in his archive.

GlassPepper likes this.
  23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Exactly why she needs an archivist in the same way that Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen do. Someone who knows what was released and when.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Is the 12" version not the longer version of the 7" hit single? I haven't heard the 7" for years. I liked it though.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  25. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

No. The 12" has cowbell all over it.

Man at C&A likes this.