Madonna - Appreciation Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

A young 1985 MTV Madge.

GoodKitty likes this.
  2. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I was at that Rebel Heart show!

Jmac1979 likes this.
  3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Nice. Were you the guy she pulled up for Unapologetic Bitch? I seem to recall he was from NYC

KJTC likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Madonna aged terribly...I'm pretty shocked.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

7/13/1985 Live Aid.

joy stinson and GoodKitty like this.
  6. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

LOL no. I had floor seats for the Nashville show but was further up for Louisville. We got “Like a Prayer” I think, right?

joy stinson likes this.
  7. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

yep, in place of where she was normally playing "Who's That Girl" on the tour, which was fine with me because having never seen Madonna before, getting LAP was a treat since it's my all time favorite Madonna song

KJTC and Elliottmarx like this.
  8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Interesting take. I never thought of this. I do love that scene when Louden is reunited with Nikki. I mean, it's RIDICULOUS that they just happen to meet up again in a penthouse with a jungle owned by Sir John Mills! (It is as ridiculous as it sounds but somehow wins me over - and also I love the use of "The Look of Love" in this scene). Madonna is very magnetic in that scene, and she looks great. What I like about Madonna in that movie is she looks relaxed and having fun (she literally doesn't stop smiling in it).

I think Madonna's problem with acting is that she is more comfortable collaborating in a music studio than she is on a set. David Foster and Nile Rodgers have both praised her for her collaborative spirit and expertise in the studio. But I don't think Madonna can truly relax and collaborate on a movie set. She seems to just want to rehearse her lines and then move onto the next scene. You can see her reciting the lines in her head and anticipating the next line.

I think Madonna is excellent in Dangerous Game, directed by Abel Ferrara. She HATES the film, but I think one of the reasons is that Ferrara was able to get a strong, gritty, perhaps largely improvisational performance from her. I think she didn't like the experience because she wasn't in control. She has some very strong scenes. In some of the obvious improvisational scenes, I think Madonna used things from her own life and perhaps she regretted it and resents Ferrara for keeping it in the film. She received some good reviews for the film.

GoodKitty likes this.
  9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it was also because Ferrara changed the story in the editing suite. According to Madonna, the original script had her character turn the tables on the male characters but when the story changed it turned her into what she described as "a deaf mute".

I think this was probably one of the experiences as an actress that led to her wanting to get into directing.

GoodKitty likes this.
  10. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Yeah, I was 13 when it came out and even I realised it had flies on it. Dreadful performances in a cringeworthy film. I actually don’t like any of Madonna’s film performances with the exception of A League Of Their Own where I thought she was actually funny and not awfully wooden and self-conscious. In Bed With Madonna was great but I don’t count that one as it was a documentary.

GoodKitty and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Torontotom

I know she's complained about both Body of Evidence and Dangerous Game because
    her character in both films is murdered.

GlassPepper and Bink like this.
  12. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

She might have aged bad, but she isn't dead ;)

joy stinson and Michael like this.
  13. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I'm not sure I'd say she has aged "terribly." Compare:

Irene Ryan -- Granny from The Beverly Hillbillies -- turned 60 the year The Beverly Hillbillies started airing.

[​IMG]

Here's Madonna in 2019, at age 61.

[​IMG]

Sure, Madonna's had some work done, but in terms of physical fitness and her overall appearance, she looks nowhere near retirement age. I'd say I hope I look that good when I reach 61, but she looks younger than I do already -- and I'm several years younger than she is...

14. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Didn't Irene Ryan have the Estelle Getty treatment in the sense that she was considerably younger in real life from the character she was playing? But yeah I agree that Madonna is a damn good 61

KJTC likes this.
  15. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Granny was probably intended to be older than 60, but I don't think they "aged" Irene Ryan all that much for the role, aside from the hair and clothing choices. She just looked older, as most people did back then. Sunscreen makes a big difference! I believe Irene Ryan was a smoker as well, which can age your skin prematurely.

Madonna really does seem to have taken care of her body and her skin quite well. I would never guess she's turning 62 this year if I didn't know it already.

GoodKitty and KJTC like this.
  16. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Forgive me, but that photo of Madonna kind of creeps me out in an Uncanny Valley sort of way. I know it's Madonna...it looks like Madonna...but something seems off. I can't quite put my finger on what, but I feel this way, in general, about Madonna in 2019/2020...both in print and on video (I've never seen her in person). Is it the work she's had done? Perhaps. But maybe not. Am I alone in this?

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, it's the work she's had done. As far back as 2008, she started to look "off".

I took pics at one of the Madonna shows I saw in 2008, and when I looked at them later, I said to myself "I know that's Madonna... but damn, it sure doesn't look like Madonna!" :help:

faceinthecrowd, tin ears and Get2Me like this.
  18. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

True. It reminds me of the meme a few years ago when Peter Capaldi was on Doctor Who, showing a side by side of him and William Hartnell and the fact they were the same age, but William at 55 in 1963 looked more like 75-80 in today's standards while Capaldi did look like a man in his 50s, he still looked like he could've been the son of what 55 in 1963 was.

19. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Facelifts used to be about pulling back the skin, but that gives the face a taunt fake look. I believe she was one of the first celebs, around that time, to have filler injected in her cheeks, to make them look more youthful. Even that has its limits. We all get old :(, if we are lucky :)

Get2Me likes this.
  20. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

That makes perfect sense! I've always thought Madonna's cheeks and jowls looked puffy...almost swollen...in recent years. Mystery solved!

21. Torontotom

Yeah, since 2008, Madonna's face has really changed. 2008 was the introduction of the cheek implants or whatever procedure she had done that made her cheekbones more prominent.

For me, Madonna changed both in physical terms and personality terms in 2008. I don't know if it was the divorce from Guy Ritchie, or turning 50, or both, but she started to change. When she made her appearance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, you knew something had changed.

Maybe this is wrong to say but I miss the pre-2008 Madonna. I feel like that steely confidence she had before is not present anymore. It's been replaced by someone who is a bit lost and insecure, and yet it has come through in her music, especially Rebel Heart.

I don't want to harp on it since, at the end of the day, the music is what is important and I still like Madonna's music. But, much of her career has been based on image and the fact is, when she gets a new procedure, it's noticeable.

GoodKitty and Get2Me like this.
  22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Honestly we can go all the way back to Erotica to trace when Madonna's face began to change

Get2Me likes this.
  23. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Can we, please? Not in a hurtful or bashing way. I just think it'd be an interesting exercise.

joy stinson and GoodKitty like this.
  24. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I dunno. I just remember when "This Used To Be My Playground" came out (which was literally right before Erotica) noticing how different her face was compared to how she'd looked up through 1991. Removing the mole was one of the biggest changes and that came around that time.

I'm curious how Madonna is going to look in another ten years. I remember in the late 90s, Cher was beginning to look as bad as Michael Jackson with the cosmetic surgery, but with time her face seemed to adjust to it and it looks a lot better than it did when she was beginning to look like Michael Myers.

Get2Me likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hard Candy
    [​IMG]

Spinning this cd now.

joy stinson, Crimson Witch and Bink like this.