Madonna - Appreciation Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Feb 8, 2020.

1. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I think I'll give up on Erotica after 30 years of trying! I just don't think the songs are there. Bedtime Stories is much stronger. American Life is one of my favourites.

I actually love about half of MDNA — 'Love Spent', 'Masterpiece', 'Falling Free', 'I'm A Sinner', 'Gang Bang' — but could happily never listen to the rest ever again. Same with Hard Candy.

I collect Madonna's 12" singles from the 80s but all the club remixes from 'Rescue Me' onwards don't do much for me. There are waaaay too many of them and although I danced to them at clubs back in the day, they're not something I want to listen to while chilling at home. A notable exception is the Pet Shop Boys remix of 'Sorry', which is the definitive version for me.

2. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

The stand out track on Erotica for me is Secret Garden, it should have been a single.

3. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

Honestly between True Blue, Like A Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light, there isn’t a bad album in the bunch.

Album rank

1. Ray of Light
    2. True Blue
    3. Erotica
    4. Like A Prayer
    5. Bedtime Stories
    6. Like A Virgin
    7. Confessions
    8. Madonna
    9. Rebel Heart
    10. Music
    11. American Life
    12. Madam X
    13. MDNA
    14. Hard Candy

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Album rank for me:
    1. Ray of Light
    2. Madonna
    3. Confessions
    4. Like A Prayer
    5. True Blue
    6. Bedtime Stories
    7. Erotica
    8. Music
    9. Like A Virgin
    10. American Life
    11. Hard Candy
    12. Rebel Heart
    13. Madam X
    14. MDNA

pudgym and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  5. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

No love for I'm Breathless then? :p

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love "Thief Of Hearts" off Erotica, as well as the album itself. Too long an album but I don't mind the long listen.

jeffreybh and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I prefer it to almost everything she's done since 2006.

Some really nice tracks (Something To Remember, Vogue, Now I'm Following You). And it's got a vibe about it which I like.

EG.

8. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

He's A Man was a good album opener-catchy and a good vocal. Overall I liked I'm Breathless more than Erotica-Erotica had some decent to very good singles surrounded by songs and production I just did not like. Bedtime Stories more than made up for it for me.

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

He's A Man is indeed another good track from that album.

I never expected to like Erotica...in theory it's everything I wouldn't be into. Sound, concept, the length of the thing. But it's always just hit the right spot, even in 92. I like the cracked, wobbly vocals...the muddy production at times. Nearly all the songs are fine by me (the title track is possibly the weakest...just a poor relation to Justify My Love).

EG.

pwhytey likes this.
  10. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

If you listen closely enough you can actually heAR them jerking off while typing their comments about the recent Beatles documentary! The Beatles and Pink Floyd worship I kinda expected but the fact that the Monkees & Dave Clark 5 are treated with equal reverence floored me- a manufactured band that appeared on a kids TV show and a 2nd rate UK 60s pop band that are all but forgotten in the UK- REALLY?!!!!!

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  11. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

You can't fault Madonna, she has an incredible back catalogue of strong albums and iconic singles. OK so there was the odd misfire along the way but she achieved a level of consistency and chart success unequalled by any other female artist. It's only in the last few years that her great power and influence have waned. She's no longer the force she once was- age and time have caught up with her. Her shapeshifting chameleon artistry doesn't quite fit when you're 60. I'm certainly not being ageist- I'm the same age. Her age is so far removed from today's kids most of whom don't relate to her as previous generations did. Her numerous procedures are making her appear on the edge of grotesque - there are similarities to the elderly Mae West in recent photos. Her persona and style relying heavily on her sexuality will make it increasingly difficult to keep up. Duets with young male artists who could be her grandsons doesn't sit comfortably. Personally I would rather she retired gracefully from performing and recording to protect her legacy Turing her talents to production and mentoring of younger perfomers- she could do a fantastic job in that capacity. The last thing I want to see is a 70 year old Madonna tottering around the stage in a leather cat suit singing like a Virgin. Too many great artists continue well beyond their peak and only damage their legacy. I doubt there will ever be another female performer with the impact and longevity of Madonna.

jeffreybh, pudgym, bob60 and 4 others like this.
  12. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I'd be interested in hearing a new Madonna album that wasn't danced based. Maybe with a more rock sound?

I don't want to sound like i'm saying "put some clothes on grandma" but i think there's only so long she can carry on presenting herself the way she does without it starting to become odd. I wonder what she's going to be doing in 20 years?

Sorry i've probably just come across as terribly ageist.

13. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

I would love Madonna to do a pop-rock album. Something along the lines Miley Cyrus’ last album is a sound that would suit her really well and I think is fresh and current enough to peak her interest. She’d nail it.

GoodKitty likes this.
  14. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I wonder if she can still even know what she truly wants to do anymore - after decades of success it must be nigh impossible to figure out what your true artistic impulses are (for any long term performer/artist, not just Madonna). Of course, one of the things I’ve always appreciated/admired/marveled at with Madonna is the way she seems torn between wanting to be an “artist with a capital A” and wanting to be super successful and popular - case in point; does she really want to do all these new remixes of “Frozen”? Or is it just that they caught public attention?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  15. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Madonna attended Britney Spears' wedding along with a random assortment of celebrities (Paris Hilton, Drew Barrymore, Ansel Elgort, Selena Gomez, Donatella Versace). They kissed again, and everyone sang Vogue. It all seems very bizarre.

This photo is hilarious - everyone is posing for their life. At least Madonna looks like a relatively normal and real person, shades notwithstanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

When did Madge become such a big drinker?
    She always seems to have a glass in her hand these days…

18. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

Donatella Versace seems the only one remotely chill in that Wedding photo, she even has her eyes shut!

Anyways, Madonna is still certainly there artistically. Madame X was far more 'Left field' than I expected, and is a great album. I don't listen to it often, but appreciate her artistic integrity on it.

Her records haven't been the 'rent a rapper on every song chasing current trends' some make them out to be. Rebel Heart was a perfect melding of a current sound with pop sensibility and classic Madonna songwriting. MDNA was disappointing as a whole, yeah a few decent album cuts' I don't give A' and 'Love spent' were fun, why she chose to do a gaspy slow version on the MDNA tour is a mystery 'As is life';p

Skipping a couple back, American Life was a great album! Bar that annoying painful 'IIIIIII'm' vocal effect on 'I'm So Stupid' and the Bond song, it's a brilliant record and not the 'flop' reported; it was a #1 record in the USA and UK.

I hope Madonna has recovered since the Maluma performance, was hard to watch that.

19. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

are Britney and Christina Aguilera not friends? Surprised she wasn't there.

20. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

(Including I'm Breathless because even if it isn't considered a Studio album, IMO, & I miss those vocals)

1. Like A Prayer
    2. Madonna
    3. Ray of Light
    4. Erotica
    5. Like a Virgin
    6. True Blue
    7. Bedtime Stories
    8. I'm Breathless
    9. Confessions on a Dance Floor
    10. Music
    11. American Life
    12. Hard Candy
    13. Madame X
    14. Rebel Heart
    15. MDNA

realmdemagic likes this.
  21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

This Used To Be My Playground - released 30 years ago this week. I thought I would share the less familiar longer version:

22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Concert review from Melody Maker. July 1990.

[​IMG]

pudgym, JackDVD78, ejluther and 3 others like this.
  23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

aseriesofsneaks and ascot like this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I played this recently (I've got the CD maxi) as part of creating a 6-disc Erotica deluxe, and it's such a stunning track. I always liked it, one of my top Madonna ballads (probably THE top one). And the extended version is even lovelier.

EG.

KJTC and Bink like this.