Madonna - Appreciation Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Feb 8, 2020.

1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Stop trolling this and other threads with your constant negative posts on other artists.
    This thread has nothing to do with Boy George yet this is the second time you have posted this story on him.
    If you do this once more you will be reported.

MikeManaic61 and DesertHermit like this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Madonna has nice teeth as well, I don’t know why she would want to cover them with grillz.

3. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

My last thoughts on this..

Madonna is and will continue to be the easy target.. She's vile, posting and printing deliberate unflattering pics, often callous. It's usually the same leaches.

A few artists i listen to have been trashed in the press, media, net and forums.. Madonna, Sheena Easton, Mariah Carey, John Lennon and the Beatles. Generally speaking it's the same trolls. It amuses me these people can give it. They can't take it.

I once read on a ABBA thread Baccara are a crime against music. The thread isn't about Baccara.

4. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

I was a bit slow earlier your mate did berate Madonna back in the day to a point of obsession she would naturally think his misfortune was funny years later. This is a Madonna thread i just commented a feud a rival artist started on her, What of it? So What?

A few pages back you've virtually quoted his Madonna rant from back in the day! Odd?

You are correct this story does not need repeating again.

5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

TonyCzar, aseriesofsneaks and Baz66 like this.
  6. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

7. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

iTunes has had Madonna's albums on sale this week. Picked up Confessions on a Dance Floor for $4.99, which is nice to finally have. It's probably the last full album of hers that I really enjoy; everything afterward is more patchy. She really had a good run up through the mid-to-late 2000s.

faceinthecrowd and MikeManaic61 like this.
  8. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

9. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

I would not want Madonna to retire, grow old gracefully, if Madge can get away with shocking and pushing boundaries - Good for her. Madonna is second to none.

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Madonna is no 2 in the UK midweek album charts.
    Steps are no 1.

11. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

Generally speaking.

Steps sold 22 million records worldwide. A Tragedy. Do the americans know who they are?

12. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I know the name but couldn't name a song or a member.

14. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Really?! :wtf:

15. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

That was what i read on the net. I thought it was about 12 million, but, really i'd be amazed if it was more than 22. They were such rubbish i tried to forget. I recall they recorded many cover versions - Badly.

16. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

If you've never heard a song by Steps you are extremely lucky.

Man at C&A, Oatsdad and Giobacco like this.
  17. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Madonna: please don't call me 'Madge' (telegraph.co.uk)

That was in 2009 ...... Did her feelings about it ever ...... evolve ?

I looked on youtube for that Letterman appearance but didn't find it.
    only this: 090930 Madonna on David Letterman - YouTube

[​IMG]

Madonna left Britain to return to America because she was tired of being called 'Madge', she has told the US chat show host David Letterman.

The singer said that the nickname – often used by her British ex-husband, Guy Ritchie, the film director – made her feel "boring and middle-aged".

She also told Letterman that she would "rather get run over by a train" than get married again.

The 51-year-old, who is now based in New York, was quickly given the nickname by the British press when she first moved to London in the 1990s.

Usually short for Margaret, Madeleine or Marjorie it is widely associated in the UK with the housewife character in the Australian soap opera neighbours played by Anne Charleston.

But Ritchie is said to have told her it was an abbreviation for 'Your Majesty'.

Complaining about the name, which has already been adopted by some US tabloids, she told Letterman: "You know, that's one of the reasons I left England, so I don't have to hear the word 'Madge' anymore.

"People say it means two different things. Some people say that 'Madge' is a colloquialism – do you know that word? – for kind of like a boring, middle-aged housewife. And other people say it's short for 'Majesty'."

Letterman responded that there was "some majesty" in being a middle-aged housewife to which the singer conceded: "Yes, I think it can be quite respectable."

Asked about whether she has plans to marry again, the star, who is dating Jesus Luz, a Brazilian model 22 years her junior, said: "I think I would rather get run over by a train."

It was Madonna's eighth time on the Late Show. In one 1994 appearance she used the f-word 13 times, rendering it the most censored programme in US talk show history.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  18. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

She was given the Madge nickname way before the 90s, i am certain it was the Smash Hits magazine in the late 80s that christened it her. It means Your Majesty, This is how i know it. First time i heard Madge nickname for Madonna was about 87/88 and also Maddy or maddie.

Bink likes this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, that was my memory too. I have often thought that the name Madge was also a reference to a character in the Australian soap Neighbours which was very popular in the UK, particularly in the late 80's. Incidentally, Madge was Kylie Minogue's on-screen Mum in Neighbours.

Baz66 likes this.
  20. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

I don't know a lot about the Neighbours bit - I did not watch it. Madonna was huge in the UK throughout the 80s and best part of the 90s.. In every fashion and music magazine, never out the charts, posters and so forth. Brits could not get enough of her.

Madonna Mania, She virtually ruled the UK for many years.

Man at C&A and Bink like this.
  21. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

For many years i have been collecting / purchasing Madonna stuff, A lot of it is ultra rare 5" & 3" CDs, nearly all Madges CD singles, The Japanese Box Set, LPs, Singles, Picture Discs. Many unofficial stuff (Bootlegs) Many fans of their favoured artists do this. It's cost me a lot of money plus all the running around getting hold of it. I won't bother buying the new CDs unless they are ultra special.

Will the original 4:48 Burning Up be put back on The First Album? If not i will not waste my time on it. Will Ain't No Big Deal be on True Blue? and What about Gambler? A few other rare Madonna songs and remixes I've already got scattered around on CDs. I would have preferred a simple rarities CD keeping those songs in one place.

I read she hates this version. I like it.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Guess I'd think the abbreviation for "majesty" would be "Maj".

Never once thought "Madge" was short for "majesty".

I always used "Maddy"! :shrug:

Baz66 likes this.
  23. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

It's a dumb Brit thing! They've always got to have stupid nicknames for everything. A lot of people call her Madge it just stuck. Madonna often liked to look nice on her Record and CD covers. When i listen to her music or just watching her videos and concerts i don't think of nicknames for her.

I just think she's Hot....

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I don't see Madonna releasing a rarities compilation; I think the stray tracks will be included as bonus tracks on the upcoming deluxe reissues as a selling point and to give a definitive view of each era.

Hopefully the original mix of "Burning Up" will be included on the deluxe edition of her debut as a bonus track; it has yet to appear on any CD release and is long overdue to appear digitally. I think "Ain't No Big Deal" should be included on the reissue of Madonna as well, since it was recorded with Reggie Lucas during that album's sessions. "Everybody" had unique UK 7" and 12" mixes that have never appeared elsewhere, so it'd be nice if they were included, as well as the US 7" version, which has also never been released on CD.

"Gambler", "Crazy for You" and "Into the Groove" should all appear on the Like a Virgin reissue, as should "Warning Signs" (the third song she recorded for the Vision Quest soundtrack, but ended up not being used). The True Blue reissue should include "Spotlight" and the four songs from the Who's That Girl soundtrack. Like a Prayer will hopefully include both mixes of "Supernatural".

Baz66 likes this.
  25. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

You never know what to expect with Madonna. My thoughts on this.. I have always wanted Madonna reissues, not sure now because everything i collected would seem worthless.. All the years, time, effort and money. It started just over 35 years ago when i was in my early teens.

I forgot about Supernatural this is on Cherish CD in various editions.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.