Madonna: Madame X - album released 14th June 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I think Janet is arguably pretty poorly remembered for how big she was and her influence on a lot of pop stars that followed. That's started to change a bit, but if you look at her numbers on Spotify or any of the other streaming services, they're pretty low compared to, for example, Madonna. That's not her fault, but I do find it interesting.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Janet finally did get inducted into the Rock Hall, so that's gotta count for something! :)

KJTC and Jmac1979 like this.
  3. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Am I the only one on here that absolutely loves this album, imperfections and all? What a comeback for Madonna.

ralphb, Maddy5, Bink and 4 others like this.
  4. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

You’re not. I think it’s her most challenging and creative album in many years, even though I’ve enjoyed some of the less ambitious ones in between.

Vinyl_Blues, ralphb, Bink and 3 others like this.
  5. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

It’s hitting my sweet spots, too!

Vinyl_Blues, ralphb, JannL and 2 others like this.
  6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I agree. I listened to it in the car again this evening and it gets better with each listen. I think the problem with this album is that it's all over the map musically so people don't seem to know where to box it. It has some urban tracks, but it's not Hard Candy, it has some dance tracks but it's not Confessions On A Dance Floor, plus she's doing some more Latin-flavored music far more than "La Isla Bonita" (which I know she's accused by some as being a culture vulture for this, but she lives in Portugal right now so it makes sense).

JannL and ejluther like this.
  7. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I’ve always thought that’s how culture basically works - people get inspired and make their own (some more obviously brazenly than others). I realize people like to say there’s a thin line between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation but I’ve yet to have anyone explain to me what/where that line is so I guess it’s slippery. Madonna has obviously brought in genuine artists from these cultures so, to me, that’s collaboration and not appropriation.

KJTC and Jmac1979 like this.
  8. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

KJTC, ejluther and Jmac1979 like this.
  9. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

God Control is everything. I love how it goes from this track with the mumbling to this night-at-the-disco track that sounds like the Kylie/Daft Punk collaboration we never knew we needed in our lives.

KJTC and ejluther like this.
  10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    tin ears and bob60 like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

bob60 likes this.
  12. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

They do seem like pairs in a way:

Madonna
    Like A Virgin

True Blue
    Like A Prayer

Erotica
    Bedtime Stories

Ray Of Light
    Music

American Life
    Confessions On A Dance Floor

Hard Candy
    MDNA

Rebel Heart
    Madame X

Bink likes this.
  13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I agree, that was the most detailed review of the album I have read and I agree with all of it.

I still consider myself a fan, the first time I ever saw or heard of Madonna was when I saw her perform in a small club in London. She was completely broke and was staying in Marc Almond's bedsit. I am still rooting for her and look forward to every album, but no longer view her through rose coloured standom. As the review said, I find her an exhausting challenge.

At this great age and being a pop music fan all of my life I really don't want to listen to an album 20 times just in case I've missed something and I just might end up liking some of it. I have always loved weird and out there Madonna, but only when it was mixed in with great songs as well.

Take away the production on this album and the songs would fall apart like a cheap suit.

If in six months time this album has grown on me after hearing and dancing to the songs at my local discotheque/dance hall, I will eat my words. But I cant imagine the disc jockey ever playing any of them.

14. Bobby Morrow

That’s the second most accurate review I’ve read.

:D

Marble Index and bob60 like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

I don’t really see any of those as ‘pairs’.

Stencil likes this.
  16. MarilynsPickle

Even though they came up with the obligatory standard shorter versions of her last 3 albums, I consider the versions released on vinyl as being the real main versions of the albums.

So MDNA 16-track version, Rebel Heart 19-track version and Madame X 15-track version.

The shorter 12-track MDNA at least sounds like a proper album. But the shorter 14-track Rebel Heart sounds like it ends too early, and obviously does not make sense missing the title track of the album. The artwork for the longer versions of both of those albums also seems to be the main covers they used to promote those 2 albums:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But then for Madame X they mixed it up more. There are 3 covers and they don't all adhere to the number of tracks on the album.

This cover is used on the 15-track vinyl (which seems to be the main cover they're promoting) and the 13-track CD:

[​IMG]

This cover is used on the 15-track CD and the 13-track cassette:

[​IMG]

This cover is used on the 18-track CD and the 15-track cassette:

[​IMG]

Vinyl_Blues and Mister President like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I like the middle one best. It’s used on the deluxe boxset too.

18. MarilynsPickle

Well not totally definitely, just in ways. Those first two albums seem like a pair to me. Even the last song on Like A Virgin was a mashup of 2 earlier songs that could've come out on her first album. The more rockish pop sounds of True Blue and Like A Prayer seem to go together. "True Blue" and "Cherish" seem like sister songs. The R&B side of "Erotica" made it to the next album "Bedtime Stories". The experimental electronic sounds of Ray Of Light made it to the even more experimental Music album. Between American Life and Confessions, the rockish sounds of "I'm So Stupid" and "I Love New York" seem to go together, and the strings in"Let It Will Be" and "Die Another Day" also seem to go together in a way... Hard Candy and MDNA are her divorce albums. (Glad she's not still making divorce themed songs). And for the last two albums need I only say "Bitch I'm Madonna" & "Bitch I'm Loca" just kidding! Haha! And also "Future" and "Unapologetic Bitch" sound like sister songs as well...

Also even some of the titles seem to go together Erotica and Bedtime Stories go together and Hard Candy and MDNA (aka MDMA) go together.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I find Madame X much more immediate and much better produced than American Life. I like American Life but I think it’s a bit overrated among certain fans.

That Pitchfork review is in no way a fair review. It’s just a hit piece. It’s not as though her music cant be criticized but that review is just personal and nasty.

KJTC likes this.
  20. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Hence its enthusiastic embrace by those who like to get personal and nasty!

21. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Received the JPN import of Madame X yesterday (2 CDs/19 tracks). CD 1 is the 15 track Deluxe version released. The JPN import is packaged in a hard cover booklet. CD 2 has 3 studio tracks (Funana, Back That Up To The Beat & Ciao Bella) and 1 remix (Medellín - Offer Nissim Madame X In The Spinx).
    The 3 additional tracks are very good in my opinion, especially Ciao Bella. Pharrell Williams is given both a production and writing credits on Back That Up To The Bear. Funana and Ciao Bella are Madonna & Mirwais productions.
    I am liking this album very much.

neo123, ejluther and KJTC like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Back That Up To The Bear.

Nice to see Madonna is still chasing the gay audience.

:D

23. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I understand that pop is an ever evolving genre that changes quicker than other contemporary genres (which is why you'll find less Madonna fans from 1984 liking her new music than Bruce fans from 1975 who can find something to enjoy on Western Stars). But it baffles me that old school Madonna fans can't find to like here. Looking For Mercy, I Don't Search I Find and Crazy are three that comes to mind that people who love 80s and 90s Madonna should be able to enjoy. Hell even if you can bypass the first 90 seconds of God Control, you're then treated to the danciest thing she's done since Confessions... It sounds like Kylie teaming up with Daft Punk. The only true dud to me is Killers Who Are Partying mainly because the self righteousness of the lyrics is worse than Sting or Bono at their most insufferable. Even if you're not a Maluma fan (I'm not), you can't deny he has a sexy voice to where you want him to take you to the bedroom lol.

I understand this album is all over the place and doesn't really confine itself to one genre or "persona", but I can't believe people can't at least find a couple tracks here to enjoy.

24. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I thought this was misleading a bit when it says - "many of Madame X’s songs trip all over themselves to change course and offer something new every few seconds for the attention-span deficient."

I know "Dark Ballet" and "God Control" have sharp changes that are jarring but "many" of the songs do this? IIRC, all of the other songs have more traditional structures.

As for reviews in general, I just know that, for myself, whether or not I simply want to like an album is a big factor in how much time and attention I give it. I want to like Madame X because I am a Madonna fan so I already go to it with an intent - seems to me that's often part of human interaction with art of any kind. Can that intent blind me to "faults"? Sure it can - but it can also provide me an entry into very satisfying experiences that are lost on someone who simply doesn't have that want to like something (and that's not the same as wanting to not like something).

The thing about professional reviews is that it's hard to tell what they're bringing to their own interaction with the artistic expression. While it's admirable to believe critics are 100% non-biased that's simply an impossible ideal to achieve. I love reading cultural criticism of all kinds but I'm often struck by one of two things (sometimes both) - 1.) the writer is more concerned with their own writing than the art they're assessing and 2.) it seems this person has simply become jaded and cynical about the very thing they undoubtedly loved enough to devote their lives to talking/writing about.

Appreciation of music, like all art, is subjective and the very act of trying to tell others what to think/feel/like/hate about it is akin to the old saying, "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." However, I still really enjoy and appreciate seeing what those dances are like so I'll keep on reading culture criticism and adding to my own personal appreciation of art like Madame X.

Eska68, pwhytey, JannL and 3 others like this.
  25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Some of those architectures are great to dance to, especially Medieval Europe, such as Gothic Architecture, but others are impossible to dance to, such as Baroque Architecture. ;)

ejluther likes this.