Madonna: Madame X - album released 14th June 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Apr 30, 2019.

1. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Great interview with Billboard. Dude might have gotten a commitment for her to sing “Rescue Me” on the next tour!

MarilynsPickle and bob60 like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Well, to be honest, she’s more about the very recent past which she then desperately tries to copy.

And I’ve never heard one rap improve a Madonna song. They’re always the low point of them.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. Bobby Morrow

Always like to see her interviewed. She looks great.

Though I’m not sure her lips used to be that big?

:D

GoodKitty, bob60, AFA and 1 other person like this.
  4. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

I think the new song I Rise sounds like classic Madonna. Love her vocals and all the hooks that come within the span of a relatively short song.

pghmusiclover and KJTC like this.
  5. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

M.I.A.was the only good thing about 'Give Me All Your Luvin'
    [​IMG]
    (I wanted to post another gif, but that might have locked this thread too)

Get2Me and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

After watching the BBMA performance just now, I was quite shocked by the quality of those holograms. If this is the current state of holograms, I can understand ABBA delaying it. Didn't Björn say they just wasn't "perfect" yet?

7. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I think the attitudes here are negative because this forum is primarily an older classic rock dominated forum in terms of people’s tastes so they don’t appreciate what she is trying to achieve.
    I like some rock, primarily 90s alternative rather than classic, but appreciate different genres including more modern pop music.
    Madonna’s tastes in music are not really classic rock and producing her records in that traditional way would not suit her style or voice.

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That was a great interview....

9. Bobby Morrow

Madonna is usually ‘sharp’ in interviews. By that I mean she always seems on the verge of tearing a strip off the interviewer... No matter who it is.:D

10. Bobby Morrow

I don’t see this. Medellin has gone down as well as any Madonna lead single in the last 10 years.. By that, I mean there’s initial interest in new Madonna product.. Then the record comes out, is well promoted by M, but then is immediately forgotten. I’ve yet to hear Medellin once on the radio. I don’t expect to.

It’s the same with the upcoming album. All the silly Madame X guff in press release will go over people’s heads, because it’s just Madonna being Madonna. Not shocking, or even mildly intriguing anymore.. I think the album will debut in the top 5. Possibly even #1.. But record sales are so low nowadays that even this doesn’t mean much anymore as the album will be out of the top 100 6 weeks later.

GoodKitty, 2141 and Record Rotator like this.
  11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You haven't quite grasped the concept of this whole project yet have you?
    That wasn't Madonna in the interview, it was Madame X, and not just Madame X but Madame X the cleaning lady/housewife. This Madame X has big lips. Future interviews might be with MX the secret agent or MX the prostitute.
    Madame X is many different people.
    This is not like Erotica where there was just Dita, this is much more complex. It's up to us to work out which Madame X is being interviewed etc

I think you would enjoy the music more if you throw yourself wholeheartedly into this project like I have done. :D:D

12. Bobby Morrow

Thanks for the tip.

In the list of Madame X’s accomplishments, I will add, ‘not an especially good songwriter’.

:D

GoodKitty and bob60 like this.
  13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

SJP and KJTC like this.
  14. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

After being underwhelmed by the song "Medellín" my hopes for the new album are back up after hearing "I Rise"! I don't mind the vocal effects on the new songs cuz they are obviously used as an effect (instead of someone trying to fool you into thinking they are singing on key by subtly using auto-tune.) You can attribute the vocal effects to the return of Mirwais, but then I noticed (at least on Wikipedia) that "I Rise" isn't even produced by Mirwais. It's with one of the guys who worked on "Ghosttown" and that song is the best single she's had since "Jump" as far as I'm concerned! I must add I thought the "Medellín" video and live performance were both outstanding! So you can ignore what I said in the previous Madame X thread (where I thought a video and live performance couldn't save the song). (You can ignore it further since that thread is now MIA!)

Jmac1979 and KJTC like this.
  15. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

Late 1990 Madonna begs to differ! :laugh:
    [​IMG]

GoodKitty, Marble Index and c-eling like this.
  16. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I remain baffled by the sheer amount of time and energy spent talking about and criticizing an artist that apparently hasn’t been putting out music a person likes for a long time anyway, as well as the incessant need to trash their character and physical appearance. The mindset on many of this thread seems to be, “I don’t like it, so let me be as nasty as I can so no discussion can occur among those who are genuinely interested in this woman’s work.”

The existence of this thread is pointless on this forum as far as having a musical discussion goes. It’s polluted with bad faith actors looking to derail the discussion for their own amusement.

groovelocked, eric777 and Jmac1979 like this.
  17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Maybe a dedicated Madonna fan site would be more your thing....

Mechanical Man likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

:laugh:
    Nice. I'll have to check the old Playboy centerfold.... :D

2141 likes this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am hearing that the tour will be a theatre tour!

20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I Rise is better than the first song she released from this record (not sure how much that is saying), but I agree with those saying the auto-tone is really a detriment to this song. It makes the song sound too robotic and like the product of studio trickery, rather than organic, which it ought to be given the nature of the song.

GoodKitty, Get2Me and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

My negative response towards the two new Madonna songs have nothing to do with me being primarily an old fan of '60s/'70s Classic Rock music. I'm not. I'm a fan of many different kinds of musical genres as represented by diverse artists such as The Supremes, The Temptations, Frank Sinatra, Chet Baker, Elvis Presley, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, Dean Martin, Barbra Streisand, The Carpenters, The Bee Gees, Linda Ronstadt, Joni Mitchell, Dan Fogelberg, Earth, Wind & Fire, The Church, Lord Huron, Midlake, etc. I also very much doubt that the Classic Rock fans on this forum are even participating in a Madonna thread like this. Why would they even bother? They don't care about her, not even remotely.

I've also noticed how you keep accusing anyone who dares to write anything negative about Madonna of being 'sexist', 'ageist' and/or 'living in the past'. I'm neither. You're labeling 'us' much in the same way that you accuse 'us' of labeling Madonna.

I, as I'm sure others do, judge Madonna's music on it's own terms. Most of us are here because we've enjoyed a lot (or at least quite a bit) of her music over the years, and I don't want her music to stay the same. I just expect someone of her stature to write and record music of a certain high quality that will be remembered in the years to come. I don't expect her to come up with classics such as "Into The Groove", "Live To Tell", "Papa Don't Preach", "La Isla Bonita", "Cherish", "Like A Prayer", "This Used To Be My Playground", "Frozen", "Music", "Hung Up", etc., but "Medellin" and "I Rise" are completely forgettable.

You'll obviously defend any music that she ever releases simply because it's her. And that's fine. Good for you, if she can do no wrong in your book.

Get2Me, cs2003, DesertHermit and 4 others like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Well put.

Though it went on a bit.

:)

23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

If I have to point it out, you'll never understand ;)!

Seriously, I've heard the song exactly twice and I can remember what little chorus is going on. That to me is where the hook is and it is the only part of the song that reminds me of classic Madonna which is why I rate Medellin as a notch below top-tier for her. While I think the song could have been more memorable by developing this more, it already has too much going on so that wasn't likely an option.

24. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Thanks. Yeah, well, what can I say: occupational hazard. I'm a writer/copy writer. :shrug:

25. Bobby Morrow

It was a little dig because you mentioned I moaned about the excessive lengths of some of the songs in the Bee Gees thread.

:)

Record Rotator likes this.