Madonna / Warner Music Group announce new partnership, reissue campaign

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ascot, Aug 16, 2021.

1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Does this reissue programme includes the albums after she left Warner's?
    We know she resigned last year as we were talking about it. I said then that any new contract would be to predominantly reissue her back catalogue and to secure Madonna's legacy.
    Hopefully this project will do the job. People needed to be reminded of what a fantastic pop star Madonna is. Unfortunately she hasn't helped herself with social media these past few years.

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  2. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, the press release says those albums will go to Warners in 2025.

bob60 likes this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I keep my four original CDs :D

5. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

What do we think they mean by “[Madonna will] introduce unique releases for special events”? Or is that just another way of saying we’ll get anniversary editions?

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The best popstar since the mid 80s to me. There's been plenty of great ones since, and Robbie Williams, but Madonna seems the nearest thing to a female Elvis. It's incredible how well her looks from the 80s have aged. Most mid to late 80s pop stars look embarrassing now.

KJTC, bob60 and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  7. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Possibly that or things like Record Store Day exclusives.

KJTC and rfkavanagh like this.
  8. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

I recently trashed Ray of light, her only descent album unfortunately brickwalled to death on CD, but if it’s remastered with a good dynamic range, i might buy it back. I don’t care about the rest of her « production ».

Echo likes this.
  9. rfkavanagh

Ah, of course - the abominable Record Store Day!

Speaking of, I really hope this release campaign doesn’t end up vinyl-focused. By all means release vinyl versions (separately, please), but don’t forget about the much maligned but still beloved little CD.

Thankfully, CDs are a much more suitable and affordable format for any kind of extensive SDE so I’d assume we’ll get CD releases (assuming these are all physical releases). Vinyl is more suited to preserving the original album format - maybe with an additional disc or two for “selected” bonuses, but it’s not a great option for copious amounts of extra material. Not that I’m against them releasing multi-disc vinyl versions; I just don’t want them used to inflate price by bundling all formats in the same box.

10. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

[​IMG]

11. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Usually it’s a Madonna tour announcement that has me saying, “Well, there goes all my money.”

Thrilled for this, and so happy it’s Madonna doing it and not her estate after she’s gone.

12. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Will you tell her or should it be left to @Luxury_Liner ?

Luxury_Liner likes this.
  13. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I hope they move this along faster than the Yoko Ono reissue program.

14. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Are there any outtakes that we know of from any of her albums (especially her &0s/90s records) that are “holy grails” that Madonna fans want to hear? Or anything we know of (or that’s been bootlegged) that people hope appears on these reissues?

15. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

That’s my read, too…

KJTC likes this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I respectfully beg to differ. I can't stand it when they will load a cd deluxe edition up with copious amounts of bonus tracks, and then give vinyl people nothing but a bland 180 gram repressing of the basic album (most recently, Foreign Affair by Tina Turner). I will pay $100-200 for big vinyl editions of my fave albums, I did with Prince and the Stones, I would for Madonna as well.

I also like the bundling vinyl with the box because as someone who generally doesn't buy CD's, it was the way to make me buy the Fleetwood Mac SDE's which contained all the bonus material on cd.

17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

15-ish years back a lot of Ray Of Light/Music era vaulted tracks surfaced online. There's also the Rebel Heart demos that leaked about 3 months prior to the finished product that left many fans saying the demos were actually superior so it would be nice to get those officially released

18. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Much of it has leaked, but there are a ton of things from the Ray of Light/ Music era that didn’t make the cut.

19. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

any suggestions on how to split up a madonna a-sides collection? i'm thinking three double-disc volumes:

1: "everybody" to "rescue me"
    2: "playground" to "die another day"
    3: "american life" to "levitating"

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Br3tto

Br3tto Forum Resident

A compilation of all of soundtrack singles would be good. Starting at Crazy For You up and Into the Groove up to Die Another Day? Or the single from the soundtrack of her movie.
    I’ve counted 17 singles so potentially 18 and that would work.

21. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I made a 5 disc singles collection for the Warner Years and it goes like this:
    Disc 1: 1982-1986 (Everybody to Open Your Heart)
    Disc 2: 1987-1991 (La Isla Bonita to Rescue Me)
    Disc 3: 1992-1996 (This Used To Be My Playground to You Must Love Me)
    Disc 4: 1997-2001 (Argentina to Impressive Instant)
    Disc 5: 2002-2010 (Die Another Day to Revolver)

I suppose I should get the Interscope years done even if it means revisiting the 3rd single off Rebel Heart...:D

Timjosephuk, Thorpy, Izozeles and 3 others like this.
  22. rfkavanagh

My post didn't say anything about *not* wanting vinyl releases of however many discs - it certainly doesn't bother me at all and I'm happy for vinyl fans to get the full roster of tracks in their preferred format. Vinyl just tends not to be as viable an option for lots of bonus material because it requires far more discs and results in a much higher price point, but it's no skin off my nose for that to be an option for the fans who want it.

What I absolutely do object to is being forced to pay 2-3x as much for a multi-format box if I want to get the CDs. That's what I don't want to happen here. Your suggestion that you like bundling because it forces you to buy CDs that you wouldn't necessarily have bought otherwise is completely unfair to everyone else who doesn't need or want both formats. If each format is released discretely, then everyone has the option to choose whichever format is best for their needs, or both if they like.

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I have a suggestion that I think will be popular. How about if Madonna does what Phil Collins did with his reissues, recreate the exact same album cover, but with a brand new older looking Madge pic.

Timjosephuk, Jarleboy and morgan1098 like this.
  24. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

The perfect example would be Prince's Welcome 2 America which just came out. The super deluxe packaging contains vinyl, cd and a blu-ray concert, there's no way they'd ever consider offering the blu-ray alone to someone just wanting vinyl, so it's a fair trade to pay more and get both formats so I could get the concert as well, because many times they'll offer such packaging to cd buyers but ignore vinyl (because I guess vinyl users never use anything that is on shiny discs?)

As we've seen with Tom Petty, Prince, George Harrison and U2 to name four in the past year, people will spend the big bucks for an all-vinyl edition that contains more than just the original album in 180g, we want the bonus tracks as well and will pay more than cd people will as well. So I hope every Madonna SDE doesn't leave us in the cold while the cd edition of Ray Of Light gets 55 bonus tracks

25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’d definitely be in for well-done deluxe editions of her first three albums, at the very least.