Madonna / Warner Music Group announce new partnership, reissue campaign

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ascot, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I do think they’ll go to town with these. Will everyone be happy with them? Of course not.:) That’s just the way it is.

I also hope they do separate packages for vinyl and CD. Rather like they did with the recent Prince reissues. I rarely play vinyl and resent the space the Fleetwood Mac deluxes take up on my shelves. I only really wanted the hi res disc on them all but had buy the bulky box sets to get them!

There’s no reason why vinyl fans should be shortchanged with the plentiful (hopefully) bonus tracks. Madonna fans will happily pay. I’m sure of it.

I mean, these are a way off yet, but I am looking forward to them. Especially the first 4 albums. I admit the thought of an even more elongated Erotica set makes me die a little inside though.:)

Jarleboy, JeffMo, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

You mean you wouldn't be excited for a 20 minute remix of Did You Do It lol?

3. Bobby Morrow

My CD of Erotica omits that track for some reason.

4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

They released 2 different versions, one with it and one without. I am happy to have it, but many will tell you that you are not missing much!

5. Bobby Morrow

I think I’ve heard it in the past. Madonna’s not on it, is she?

6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Basically, it samples the chorus of the song Waiting. The rest of the song is by a rapper - in fact I think this track may hold the prestigious position of being the first Madonna track to feature a rapper!!

April Snow and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I fail to see the bulky monstrosity some say the FM deluxe sets are, they fit neatly on my shelf with the other records, its hardly like The Joshua Tree or Sign O The Times vinyl deluxe editions which are so massive that the OCD in me dreads when they're getting far along enough on the shelf because when it's time to move them, there will be albums out of order

8. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

I think they'll go for an album by album campaign. With Madonna posting images of demo tapes the signs are good that we may get some early unreleased material with the first album. However, I'd be happy just to get a deluxe with official remixes done at the time. I really liked the Pet Shop Boys approach with the main album and "Further Listening" on extra discs. Madonna wasn't as prolific but there would be enough to make the albums up to Like A Prayer pretty viable. I'm not interested in new mixes unless they only use original production work.
    Madonna - Everybody US dub, UK mixes, Burning Up single mixes and the alternate album version, Lucky Star edit and new mix, Holiday single edit, Borderline single edit and remixes plus Ain't No Big Deal as it is from that era although not released until '85. Maybe some of the demos that Madonna shared images of.
    Like A Virgin - single edits, 12" mixes, Gambler single and mixes, Crazy For You and Into The Groove. With the latter I'd like to have the early mix from Desperately Seeking Susan. There must be some works in progress or potentially a full-length mix of the original version. Ideally have a blu-ray with a remastered Virgin Tour included; possibly a live recording as well of a full show.
    True Blue - all single edits, instrumental b-sides and 12" mixes. Include the Who's That Girl tracks and ideally a blu-ray of a concert. The '87 tour really did cover both albums.
    Like A Prayer - Supernatural, and the single remixes but not necessarily all of the alternate dubs. I would be happy with just the core definitive mixes and put the rest onto separate EPs. From Like A Prayer on there are too many remixes to make inclusion on album packages viable I think. Maybe controversial but consider Vogue with this album and dump I'm Breathless. Blonde Ambition blu-ray please.
    I never thought Vogue fitted on I'm Breathless at all. I never listen to that album, though I think "Something To Remember" is superb, and would have its place on a reissue of that compilation later in the campaign.

JeffMo, Izozeles and Martin Byrne like this.
  9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I just hope that they are consistent in the packaging so they look great together on the shelf. I hate it when they keep changing the sizes throughout a box set series.
    I like the Pet Shop Boys ones, and also the Tears For Fears boxes are great and all the same.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The "clean" version of "Erotica" loses "Did You Do It".

Dunno if you intentionally bought the "clean" CD, but that's why it's not there.

I did intentionally get the "clean" one to avoid that awful song!

11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Two perfect examples of reissue series' that eff over vinyl lovers

12. Bobby Morrow

It was unintentional for me. I bought the album a little later and didn’t notice it was missing a track. Or that it was “clean”.:)

Oatsdad, DesertHermit and GoodKitty like this.
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I'm happy for this. I just wish Madonna would release a remastered possibly remixed complete albums box set like Bob Dylan did. Than come out with the over priced box sets later on. Of course that won't happen but I could make a wish.
    This is great news about Madonna's music catalog regardless.

14. Bobby Morrow

I’m sure Madonna’s vinyl fans will be catered for with the upcoming reissues.

15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I hope so. It annoyed me that TFF got this nice 60 track edition of Big Chair while vinyl people were served with a picture disc. Same with PSB, I'd pay the premium for the Further Listenings on vinyl but we just got the standard lps (though in fairness the 90s and 00s albums were impossible to get before the reissues)

16. Bobby Morrow

It seems that vinyl (unlike the CD) is on the up. I’d be amazed if the Madonna reissues didn’t have great vinyl sets in tow.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  17. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

I, for one, am tired of endless reissues of the 2012 remasters on different colored vinyl. I skipped all of those except the white vinyl Like A Virgin.

18. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Only the clean version was released in Canada, so I didn’t hear “Did You Do It?” until I bought the 2012 vinyl reissue. I wouldn’t have minded going another 20 years without hearing it.

DesertHermit likes this.
  19. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

I've always been baffled by the line "you f**ked it up" being bleeped on the "uncensored" edition of Erotica. I mean really. The only difference between the regular and clean editions is the inclusion of "Did You Do It?" What the <bleep>?!?

20. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

I can't see her spending months curating all those albums. I'm hoping we get all the different original mixes of tracks etc.... I can't believe she is an expert on these. I do worry if she really is overly involved.

rfkavanagh likes this.
  21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The press release said she is working with someone who is responsible for the Warners catalogue (can't remember his name off the top of my head). I am hoping he will have done his homework and will be the expert on the different versions.

22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

+1

Madonna to "curate" - translated as "master them all to make it all sound like my last album"

Sympathies to hardcore Madonna fans too

Madonna / Physical deluxe reissues confirmed for 2022 and beyond – SuperDeluxeEdition

"“introduce unique releases for special events” (e.g. Record Store Day) and more"

23. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

I like to have „The Confessions Tour“ on Blu-ray!

JackDVD78 and GoodKitty like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Yes, those were a chore.:)

Hopefully vinyl fans with get great packages this time. With all the bonus material included.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  25. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

l hope so too. I can't see Madonna being an expert on all her different mixes etc.

Bink likes this.