Madonna / Warner Music Group announce new partnership, reissue campaign

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ascot, Aug 16, 2021.

1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Is doing these reissues like Prince even feasible? I mean sure 7 and 12 inch mixes, a book and a DVD but beyond that? Granted I don't know a lot about her vault, but I doubt she has an insane number of more or less completed recordings of unreleased songs like Prince does.

Personally being generous I can see them going no further than this:

CD 1 - Original Album (maybe if they're feeling generous they'll use the remaining space on the disc to place any unique non-album songs like soundtrack songs, B-Sides, etc, rather than putting those tracks on...

CD2 - 7 and 12 inch remixes (which would leave this disc more space to be more inclusive of as many of those mixes as will fit).

Though I doubt they'd go nuts including every slightly different 12 inch and CD single mix of every track in existence - especially when it gets to the 1990s. :yikes: They're sure to heavily cherry-pick those.

Beyond that - Yeah I could see an SDE version with a book and a DVD of videos, TV appearances (I doubt every album had a filmed tour, let alone a concert tour period, so...)

So my guess (multiple versions of releases):

A single disc, straight-up, bare bones remaster with no bonus tracks

A double disc version with non-album tracks (soundtrack songs/b-sides/7 and 12 inch mixes/etc)

An SDE with a big book and DVD (with music videos and TV appearances of the era)

....and *maybe* there's a slight chance that they'd offer a limited edition of the 2CD version with the DVD from the SDE included.

...but, personally I'm not interested in any of that, but if this means we'll finally get a proper hits collection with ALL the proper hit single versions on it I'm in! (ie 7" single edits/mixes, and if/where they don't differ from the regular album version, then maybe include the mix used in the music video - if its unique. Given how much her videos were shown back in the day some people might be more familiar with the video mix anyway).

I'll have one of those please :goodie:

How I could see that happening (in multiple formats):

*Maybe* a single disc (though it seems a bit skimpy given how many hits she's had. Of course they could justify it by labelling it "The #1s". In that case they could get away with only including (IIRC) 12 songs (that made #1 in the Billboard Pop chart).

Definitely a full double disc, which can't include everything of course, but they could choose what to include by chart position achieved (only the biggest hits get in) but more realistically they'll likely include later/lesser hits for "balance" not to mention I'm sure she'll choose to leave out a few massive hits simply because she simply doesn't personally like them anymore.

A 4CD boxset of her A-Sides which still probably can't include everything, but I doubt they'd want to go further than 4CDs on what is essentially a greatest hits album.

I'll take the 2CD version please - and hope for the best that they don't get too "creative" with the track selection - leaving off some big hits in favor of smaller hits for "balance". I have a feeling they won't want to lean too heavy on the 80s even though it was her most successful era and they'll want to present it as "look - she was having huge hits consistently through the years/decades all the way up to the present day" even if to do so some Top 10 hits from the 80s need to get sacrificed in order to include some Top 40 (if even that high charting) hits from the 90s and beyond.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  2. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

That always confused me, too - for years I feared I had an edited version of the album despite the language-warning sticker on the front. Wasn’t until I found out the “clean” version omitted Did You Do It that I was able to relax and accept that they just made a really weird “artistic decision” to censor the uncensored version of the album, too!

GoodKitty likes this.
  3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

For me it was intentional, I was just a teenager at the time and I was worried about what my parents would think if they heard it...:D

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

With Madge I am interested in how much is in the vaults per albums, as we've seen with the leaked ROL/Music/Hard Candy tracks a decade plus ago there's quite a bit there, and a lot of the HC unreleased stuff was better than what made the final cut, so I'm hoping they go in-depth with each album era as opposed to just standard reissues while a few "key" albums (Ray, Prayer, debut, maybe Virgin and True Blue) get better editions

5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I am expecting the so-called "uncensored" cd in the mail any day now. I ordered it when I started to think that my old Erotica cd sounded slightly distorted, and I thought finally getting to hear Madonna say "you f**ked it up" would be a bonus ..... Now I know better. I have about zero interest in "Did You Do It?", really odd that it ever made it to the album.

Billy_Sunday and DesertHermit like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I always wondered if she ever did her own version of Nick Kamen’s Each Time You Break My Heart..

aseriesofsneaks, Bink and bob60 like this.
  7. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I think you might be on to something?

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That song is just so Madonna from that period, you can easily imagine her singing it.
    I wonder why she didn't release it herself as it's really good?

aseriesofsneaks and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It would have been great on True Blue.

Or would have made a better choice for the Who’s That Girl soundtrack than Can’t Stop.:)

McKigney, bob60 and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  10. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

I have posted some of these elsewhere on the forum but may as well put them all in here. These are the deluxe editions I made for myself using all vinyl. And before anyone poo-poo's needledrops they sound pretty darn good. :D Most of these tracks should be included with their official deluxe editions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WolfSpear, GeeTeeUK, Bink and 9 others like this.
  11. ascot

12. ascot

13. ascot

14. ascot

15. ascot

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great news.

17. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

There is a god after all...

Bobby Morrow and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  18. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

This is exciting news. How many threads have we had on this place over the years wishing for a proper reissue campaign? Now it is happening :goodie:

I am sure it won't be everything everybody wanted but at least something is finally happening. I am very excited at the prospect of deluxe reissues of particularly Madonna's 80s albums and Erotica with all the 12 inch mixes and correct single mixes included. I would also love the Who's That Girl and Blonde Ambition concerts to be released on BluRay. Although I buy a lot of vinyl still, I think I would prefer these on CD as they would be less expensive and would be able to accommodate more material. It will be so interesting to see how these are done and I hope they begin at the very beginning next year. Oh, and please make them sound good!!!

KJTC, Bink, aseriesofsneaks and 3 others like this.
  19. ShepPettiboneMix

ShepPettiboneMix Look, it’s not you, it’s me......

Outstanding news!! This is long overdue!!

KJTC and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  20. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I listen to a Madonna Podcast and they said Madonna allowed "Did You Do it" to go on the Explicit version of the Album - it was originally recorded as a joke but she happened to like it.
    I actually don't mind it, I see it as being a funny song and the lyrics kind of crack me up and knowing it was recorded as a joke that tickled her fancy makes it even funnier.

Wiki says a similar thing -

The thirteenth track, "Did You Do It?" features rappers Mark Goodman and Dave Murphy. The song was released exclusively on the explicit version of Erotica; the clean version doesn't have this song. Producer André Betts claimed that for fun, he just rapped over the track "Waiting," while Madonna was gone, and she liked it after hearing later.[7]

KJTC, Bink and rfkavanagh like this.
  21. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

I really wish there was additional versions of Stay. It's one of my favourite songs of hers from the 80's (along with the original mix of Burning Up)...and would love to hear an extended version.

22. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Hopefully the 4 cd version of Like A Prayer finally gets released.

Bink and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  23. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Awesome compilations, @ascot! You’re my kinda fan!

ascot likes this.
  24. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

You can find the demo she sang on youtube!

bob60 and bluearmy78 like this.
  25. JoeJett

JoeJett Forum Resident

I hope she remembers three songs called ANGEL, TRUE BLUE and CAUSING A COMMOTION!!