Madonna's out of tune performance at Eurovision 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Many Arab countries could, but they choose not to because they boycott anything where Israel is involved. Their loss. The one year Morocco took part was when Isreal didn't for some reason. Lebanon attempted to take part a couple of years ago, but when it transpired that they would not broadcast the Israel performance inside Lebanon, they were banned.

2. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Nile Rodgers produced the Thompson Twins??

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I guess you missed Paul McCartney’s last single.

bob60 and mmars982 like this.
  4. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

hahaha posthumous auto tune!! Priceless.

GoodKitty and tin ears like this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

[​IMG]

6. zen

zen Senior Member

Even worse, it was boring. It just lays there.

7. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Ya, the Here's To Future Days album

anorak2 likes this.
  8. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

the mix is better on the fixed version, the choir is louder, but the celemony work seems to have been done by someone who doesn't understand how to use it very well.

9. psychedeliceddie

psychedeliceddie Forum Resident

"Like A Prayer" seems to be her go-to song for EVERY TV performance or charity set where she includes oldies. She obviously still enjoys doing it, but it's feeling so stale after all of these years. "La Isla Bonita" is a close second.

GoodKitty likes this.
  10. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

As discussed earlier any country can arrange to participate.
    Israel is not in Europe geographically. Let's just say they are often 'controversial '

11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I was was wrongly under the
    impression she did just the one ..
    it seems she should have .. [​IMG]

Jarleboy and abzach like this.
  12. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

I am a Madonna fan, and I was at the show last night. In the hall, the performance of LAP was truly horrifying - it sounded like she hardly hit any note well, and some were in a different key entirely. Then the autotuned follow-up started with "My mum grew up listening to her" Quavo, and amazingly, it sounded much better than LAP simply by virtue of being in key. Artificially, granted, but more aurally pleasing.

I watched the video this morning (before the post-performance "enhancement" for the official VEVO video), and it wasn't as bad as it sounded in the venue, but definitely not good. On the one hand it made me feel like in-ear monitors may have been to blame after all, but the off notes are particularly in effect every time she tries to reach for higher notes or push her performance, so who knows?

Beyond all of that, though, the LAP performance was recycled from last year's Met Gala, which I don't think was a good idea for an artist who used to be known for originality (relatively speaking), and it also came across as self-important and missed the "fun" needed for Eurovision.

All that said, she's Madonna, and she's getting plenty of coverage and controversy out of both the performance itself and the Israel/Palestine flags stunt at the end. Even when her performance is terrible, she still knows what she's doing.

But I'm still not remotely excited for Madame X.

13. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Or Cher’s Biggest one.

Love it or loathe it, this type of vocoder/auto tune isn’t new. Madonna herself has been using it for twenty years. Longer if you count “Bye Bye Baby” and “Now I’m Following You.”

14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that is so strange I don't know how I feel

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

in hindsight she used in sparingly

Marble Index and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

The appeal of these women has nothing much to do with musical talent. It has everything to do with image, sex appeal and an invented persona. They are much better at sales than they are at music. I include B. Spears with Madonna and Cher and several others here. They have been created and marketed by shrewd promoters and record companies. If they actually had to stand up and perform without dancers, fireworks and autotune they would reveal just how much they suck. Compare these vacant air heads to Joni Mitchell, Tracy Chapman, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Diana Krall, Cassandra Wilson, the Wilson sisters (Heart), Lucinda Williams, Chrissie Hynde, Linda Ronstadt, Allison Kraus.....I could go on, and you might get what constitutes actual musical talent.

17. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Cher's "Believe" just uses autotune as an once-effect, most of the song is her natural voice. Madonna's Eurovision song was all autotune.

18. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

She is noticeably out of tune throughout the Like a Prayer performance. It’s not within the accepted pitch variances that someone was trying to claim. I just wonder if it was a bad arrangement. The monks have such a dark sound, and are they even in tune? Perhaps the reverb on the choir was detuned. It just seems like if all she had to go on was the dark sounding choir and the drone, that could easily result in a pitchy vocal performance. I want to believe that she could sing it better under different circumstances.

GoodKitty likes this.
  19. porl

porl Well-Known Member

actually the real problem here is quite the opposite. She IS singing through pitch correction software but unfortunately for Madonna it has been set incorrectly. She is probably using Autotune Live with the tracking set to too fast.... hence the horrible warble.

Oh God, I just listened to the original before Madonnas team Auto Tuned it for mass consumption....man that's awful

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  20. porl

porl Well-Known Member

exactly correct, its either Melodyne or AutoTune Live in automatic mode set to too fast.

21. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Used to be when people were caught lip synching, it was a scandal! (Milli Vanilli, or Ashlee Simpson on SNL)

Now people are simply critiqued for "using auto-tune wrong."

carlwm, mozz, GoodKitty and 2 others like this.
  22. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Madonna's never been a great singer. She's always needed gimmicks and props to entertain people. She's like Britney Spears only with a little more ambition and a better marketing strategy. Her fans are always slagging off other artists, so it's a little satisfying when the tables get turned. It's embarrassing that a music superstar managed to get upstaged by a bunch of tacky nonentities at a trash talent show. Also, the eyepatch is ridiculous. It's more One-Eyed Willy than warrior queen.

23. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

well, my first critique was that she was flat on most of the song. that is the real problem. i didn't advocate for her to use melodyne in post production, but she did use it, it was her choice, not mine. and there are ways to use it where you don't hear it that much, which any professional knows how to do, the fact that the melodyne work was so amateur is just a minor note. but one that seems to indicate the general lowering of standards in the madonna camp.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. porl

porl Well-Known Member

As you know, all pitch correction when used in automatic mode relies on the vocal being close enough to the note or key to make an educated guess what the note should be. Mads was so far out that the software had no idea what note she was attempting to hit!!!

GoodKitty likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Australia's Kate Miller-Heidke, on the other hand, can sing.

I've seen her in a 200 seat club from a distance of less than 10 feet, and have heard her acoustically. She is a operatically trained singer who moved into Pop and is a very talented songwriter.

tin ears and E.Baba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.