Madonna's out of tune performance at Eurovision 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

The reaction is overblown and as someone pointed out earlier Madonna has become a punching bag of sorts lately for trying so hard.

What's really embarrassing is that Quavo when asked couldn't name a song by her earlier. My brother and his friends who are all juniors in HS currently, listen to Migos, Swae Lee, Post Malone, Drake and the like and when I asked if any could name a Madonna song, none could and 2/5 asked who she was...

Madonna is trying to appeal to a demographic who don't care to pay attention to her. It's sad.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

She does needs a more flattering outfit and a good tune,video. As is ..mutton dressed as lamb.

3. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I work with a 24 year old guy who, with $50 on the table, couldn't name any Beatles song.

GoodKitty, Man at C&A, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Madonna has never been a singer, so this performance is no surprise. She’s certainly no Prince nor Whitney. Her talent is in the studio where she, or rather her producers, can smooth out the rough edges, and produce records which have, or had, mass appeal, but she has never been able to cut it as a singer, and to be fair, she has admitted this.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  5. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

When you're 20, 35 is old, and 45 is really getting up there. 60 is grandma & grandpa old. Nobody young is interested in a 60-year old grandma thinking she is hot stuff. It just gets pathetic despite her looking and sounding pretty good "for her age".

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Young people want their own idols. It doesn’t matter that Madonna has had a career that none of today’s acts will ever come close too, they just don’t ‘see’ her. To a 15 year old, Madonna will have done nothing noteworthy in their lives. No real hits in that time.

I think Madonna is under the impression that if she makes records ‘current’ enough radio will have to take note and play them. They won’t! I don’t think they’re necessarily being cruel, there’s just lots of other stuff they’d rather play. Madonna had a fantastic run, but the fact is she’s an old woman to kids and teenagers now.

Quavo’s brush off wasn’t mean spirited, he was just telling it like it is.

GoodKitty, davers, julotto and 6 others like this.
  7. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

It's the People's Republic of China logic: If you're going to cheat, everyone has to be able to cheat or it's not fair!

8. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't get this thing of old-sters trying to appeal to a teen audience.

Let's be honest: "Pop" music (in the modern sense) is a youth-driven genre. There's nothing wrong with Madonna (or anyone) having random hits on the pop chart, by chance as it were (like Louis Armstrong suddenly had a #1 pop hit in 1964, aged 63, out of the blue), but it's the endlessly trying to appeal to a younger audience that I don't understand.

U2 are guilty of the same thing, in more of a 'rock' context. Since the late-90s, they're never content to just make music that follows their own artistic instincts. Instead, they try with every last dollar they have to calculate their records/tours for mass appeal and are always attempting to connect with a youthful audience that couldn't care less about some old, fat Irish guys.

I just find it unbecoming.

9. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

In what way is Israel controversial? Like every other nation in Eurovision they participate in the competition. They won the competition four times and They artists that represent them are usually fun and contribute to the spirit of the song contest.
    Very interesting that people mention Israel but not Armenia and Azerbaijan who are not in Europe either.
    I suspect that you refer to the fact that Israel is always in the news because of political conflicts. This is not a discussion for this forum but if you look at the human right record of some other countries in the competition you may be surprised. Not to mention the less than stellar human rights history of Australia.

10. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

I try not to knock artists that I'm not a fan of (and, in Madonna's case, I actually do have a few albums!), mainly because I know they really "speak" to a ton of fans, and that's cool....that's what music is all about ~ how it reaches and speaks to YOU!
    That said......I gotta say.....I would be hard pressed to think of another artist who is just a glimmer of her former self. Back in the day, Madonna was a trend setter who led the pack....now, she just seems desperate to follow the latest trend, no originality whatsoever.
    That's always sad to see, but once an artist hits 60, well, it's EXTRA sad.

anduandi and Rasputin like this.
  11. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I thought that. It's not a patch on the other one.

12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Yay that, and won the 'Creativity 'award on the night.

EDIT : That video is the pre Eurovision Australian version without her swaying about on a pole.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

This 100%

Madonna still is and will forever be iconic and most people regardless of age would have sometime heard her name. It's just that time passes and what's new and exciting becomes old and repetitive.

Everything works in cycles.

14. Bobby Morrow

Even someone like Taylor Swift met with radio resistance to the singles on her last album. Ms Swift isn’t 30 for a few months, but has been having hits since she was a teen. It’s hard for her to sound fresh or offer anything new anymore.

You only get so long.

15. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I was following a conversation thread about Israeli inclusion in Europe which referenced UEFA and relations with nearby countries.

You can get political and get the thread locked by discursion into Azerbaijan, Armenian or Australian politics if you want.

16. Bobby Morrow

Yes. I’ve never read a review of a Madonna concert that has singled out her exceptional vocals. The performance on Saturday was no worse than ones she’d give in the 80s.

johnnyyen likes this.
  17. porl

porl Well-Known Member

she did pretty good at Live Aid.

18. Bobby Morrow

Well, not really.:) She was all over the place even then. Love Makes The World Go Round was especially rough.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. porl

porl Well-Known Member

she was great considering the production of the time, no sound check, no in ears... and danced.

GoodKitty, davers and tin ears like this.
  20. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Love Makes The World Go Round does make my Madge Top 40. So to "celebrate" my 3-year SHF anniversary let's bore others with the contents of my Madonna folder (includes neat chronological timeline)... :yawn:

01 - Holiday (12" Remix)
    02 - Lucky Star
    03 - Borderline (Extended)
    04 - Like A Virgin [Extended Dance Remix]
    05 - Material Girl
    06 - Crazy For You
    07 - Angel
    08 - Into The Groove (Shep Pettibone Remix)
    09 - Dress You Up
    10 - Gambler
    11 - Papa Dont Preach
    12 - La Isla Bonita
    13 - True Blue
    14 - Where's The Party
    15 - Open Your Heart
    16 - Live To Tell
    17 - Love Makes the World Go Round
    18 - Who's That Girl (Extended Version)
    19 - Causing A Commotion
    20 - The Look Of Love
    21 - Express Yourself
    22 - Like A Prayer (Extended)
    23 - Cherish (Extended Version)
    24 - Vogue (Celebration Album Version)
    25 - Hanky Panky
    26 - Justify My Love
    27 - Rescue Me (Titanic Mix)
    28 - Erotica
    29 - Deeper And Deeper
    30 - Bad Girl
    31 - I'll Remember
    32 - Human Nature
    33 - Take A Bow
    34 - Frozen
    35 - You'll See
    36 - Drowned World / Substitute For Love
    37 - Ray Of Light (Calderone Club Mix)
    38 - The Power Of Goodbye
    39 - Beautiful Stranger
    40 - What It Feels Like For A Girl (Above & Beyond Club Mix)
    41 - Hung Up
    42 - Get Together

21. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

The beauty of lowered expectations. Madonna is a professional. It is not okay for a professional to be flat. Someone paid her. If you're going to sing live, do it right. If you can't, lower the key until you can. It's that simple, really.

Ed

mozz, GoodKitty, porl and 3 others like this.
  22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

She may have admitted to it...but it isn't true. Madonna could sing. Listen to the vocal on "Crazy for You" and "Live to Tell" or, later, "I'll Remember" and "This Used to Be My Playground" and tell me she couldn't sing. She probably still can. She's 60 now. She did "Like a Prayer" when she was 30/31. She just needs to put the song in a key she can handle now. No shame in it.

Ed

23. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Since when? Russia is both in Europe and Asia.

GoodKitty and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

[​IMG]

anduandi and dezz like this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That doesn't surprise me at all, outside of these forums I bet that most 24 year olds couldn't name a Beatles song. The Beatles broke up a quarter of a century before they were even born.

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.