Madonna's out of tune performance at Eurovision 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

2. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

I’ve heard worse

anduandi likes this.
  3. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

But we came in 13 points ahead of Madonna though, and all without autotune.

4. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Gosh, that was sooooo much better, nothing egregious about it ..... Amazing how long ago even Live 8 is now ....

dezz and LarsO like this.
  5. Hundazir Strabehn

Hundazir Strabehn Kobaïan spoken here

Scores revised downwards thanks to Belarus. UK scored 11 points...

dezz likes this.
  6. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Whew, despite my problems with Justin I've enjoyed a lot of what he's put out over the years. Man Of the Woods isn't one of them, a travesty, and all after that panned SB appearance. 2018 was a big L for his career. On another note *NSYNC may go on tour with Ariana this year.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Haha my apologies I must have missed that nugget of news!

8. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

A mate of mine was working stage crew for Live 8 and said the rehearsal was incredible - everyone just stopped whatever they were doing the second the choir started up, and nothing got done until they'd finished!

GoodKitty and Jarleboy like this.
  9. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Probably won't mean much to anyone outside the uk, but this year's Eurovision Song Contest will be on Gogglebox tonight. Of course there's no indication which clips of it they will use, but....

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  10. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Sorry to resuscitate this thread but, a popular UK youtuber The Honest Vocal Coach has to be watched for her critique on that performance last week:

11. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Absolutely, I always respect acts who know when something is substandard to remove it from circulation, rather than pretend it was fine. (I.E. Led Zeppelin's Live Aid performance).

But what she has done is worse by creating the fake vocal version and pretending it is the real thing.

Alanis Morissette could make up a song about the fact she is the one remaining grade A 1980s superstar left standing (RIP Michael Jackson; Whitney Houston; Prince; George Michael); and yet watching a performance like that at the ESC; and her studio albums post her Celebration compilation make you wish she had retired like Tina Turner has to protect her legacy.

anduandi, DTK, dezz and 1 other person like this.
  12. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Her face speaks volumes.... I'm surprised the "fixed" version is still up; a week later and it's still getting a crapstorm of abuse. I haven't watched it (once was enough) but apparently it's so obvious you can even hear it on the sound of the audience. Hm... I wonder if any extra applause was autotuned onto the end?
    One particularly amusing sideshow is the occasional youngling stopping by to say she's trying to be edgy like Lady Gaga.

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I didn’t watch Eurovision and when I went to see the performance on YouTube I clicked on the fixed version. By no means is it perfect, but it did make me wonder what all the fuss was about.:) Early in this thread you’ll see me saying this. I was totally duped.:D

The ‘actual’ performance is so bad it sounds like it’s been fixed to sound that way. Madame X must be crushed.

14. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

If I were the ESC committee I'd get the Gregorian monks back for next year's opening ceremony, and just have them lay a wreath on a giant "X" painted on the floor. She's not the only one with a platform to make "artistic statements."

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh yeah, she handled this like the stuck up narcissist some wished she wasn't.
    Doesn't she have any good people on her PR team?

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the non corrected version is almost like Madonna Shreds video.

17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Autotuned version vs. what was actually heard on the night:

The review in the Daily Telegraph described Madonna at Eurovision as a “one-eyed space pirate surrounded by humming monks”.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Derek Slazenger likes this.
  18. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Bloody hell that is not good. It sounds like she must have had something horrific going on in her monitor. Either that or she's completely tone deaf.

19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Someone explains in the comments:

“Possibly what happened is that the autotune was set to pick the notes chromatically to the closest one she was singing, but Madonna was off by more than a quarter step at certain points, so the program tuned the note (perfectly) to the closest wrong note.”

dezz likes this.
  20. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

That hardly covers her in glory though. It was the final of a singing competition after all.

tin ears likes this.
  21. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

There may have been technical problems but my take leans towards a human explantion. I guess she simply was nervous and that she hasn’t done enough to keep her voice in shape for a demanding situation like that.

GoodKitty likes this.
  22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

The voice coach in the video above says that Madonna hasn’t looked after her voice over the years and also makes the point that the staging – walking down the stairs – made it even harder to sing well.

Henrik Jutbring likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’m not defending her, but Like A Prayer is probably getting to be too demanding for her now. She was ‘better’ on the rubbish that was Future, where she just had to mumble a few nonsense lines with the autotune turned up to max.

I’m starting to see the reasoning behind Madonna’s new material now.

:D

tin ears, Dave Gilmour's Cat and dezz like this.
  24. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

sorry to say... I think this episode has killed any interest I had in buying Madame X new .....
    I mean, I still haven't even opened Rebel Heart after getting it upon release.
    It's been really hard for me to stay interested since American Life, though Confessions does have a lot of enjoyable stuff .

anduandi and tin ears like this.
  25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I liked Confessions quite a bit, but yeah I agree with you that American Life was terrible. Her last album that I really enjoyed was Ray Of Light and that was 21 years ago (!).

GoodKitty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.