Magazine - Real Life (1978)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Saw them in '79 at the Paradise, Boston. What a band. McGeoch....what a monster guitarist! Gone way too soon.

notesofachord likes this.
  2. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Oh yeah, baby! Thanx, I'm playing it right now.

In my all time top 3 favourite punk/new wave albums (Ultravox: HaHaHa and Skids: The Absolute Game are the others).

I remember The Light Pours Out Of Me on Whistle Test. And Peel played the whole album one night, in blocks of 3 tracks. I spent weeks asking for it in my local WHSmith's until they finally got it in.

Bassist and Mother like this.
  3. Harry Hood

Damn! Didn't realise I've got it on shuffle, and Parade's just come on as second track. That's just not right.

4. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

Incredible musicians..incredible band..incredibly influential..

Chrome_Head and Mother like this.
  5. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

There's a 2018 reissue on vinyl. How is it soundwise? Seems like a Virgin release.

6. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

Same question here. I'd like to know more about the new vinyl edition. My old copy has more crackles than music.

7. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Could anyone take that fourth studio album seriously? I tried it again just now and it's simply terrible!

Maybe just me, it's very different, maybe too much change of direction?

I could listen to The Honeymoon Killers just the once but the rest... meh!

8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love the fourth album!

9. Hollow Horse

Good for you! :tiphat:

10. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

Not the best, for sure, but pleasant. Of course not as good as the Howard Devoto 's first album.

11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Magic, Murder & The Weather isn’t terrible, it’s ok.

No Thyself on the other hand..........

12. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Love it!

13. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Excellent album though the four (?) Peel sessions are probably the better indicator as to how great they were. No Parade or Motorcade though.

Thinnest, wobbliest piece of vinyl that I ever bought that wasn't a flexi disc. That was presumably down to the 1978 oil crisis and the escalating cost of vinyl.

14. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

This thread shows that at one time Howard Devoto was one of the movers and shakers, so how come after Magazine he had a solo career that quickly fizzled out and then left the music industry?

15. Harry Hood

Mmm, without checking, my memory is that it was on Virgin with the blue and white label?

16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Initial pressings were on the blue label, but very quickly changed to the green/red, it could well have been one of the last Virgin releases on the blue label. My copy was green/red.

The reissue from a few years back had the blue label.

Harry Hood likes this.
  17. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

'The Great Man's Secrets' always draws me back.

notesofachord and Hollow Horse like this.
  18. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

Ah the mighty Magazine! They never had the commercial success that their music deserved.

I have all five studio albums and Play and Devoto's solo on vinyl plus the "Maybe it's right to be nervous now" compilation on CD which has the Peel sessions and various live and alternative versions of songs.

The first three are magnificent, the fourth I like but not as much as Jerky Versions... No Thyself is definitely a level or two below the others.

Never saw them in the 70s/80s (did see the Buzzcocks/Joy Division tour mentioned earlier). Got to see them several times after the reunion, was it really 2009!!

Great band, definitely top 10 for me, maybe even top 5. When I'm in the mood I often play the first three albums in order back to back.

19. Hollow Horse

Yes that's better. I haven't tried No Thyself. Should I? :p

20. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

No Thyself is ok, probably better than what most bands could produce but it pails in comparison with the early albums.

21. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

The Bernard Szajner "Brute reason" album with Howard Devoto is a wonderful record.

22. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I had that, bought when it came out. I used to work with someone who had a good friend who was Howard Devoto’s partner. I was quite impressed by that fact and asked if he might sign the sleeve for me. Next time she went to visit her friend she took my sleeve along to get signed. I told her it was one of the best singles ever made. She handed it back to me a few days later with it signed “To Greg, best wishes Howard Devoto” (funnily enough Arthur Precarious isn’t my real name!). My friend said I’d told her “it was one of the best singles ever made” and she tells me that Howard smiled and said “It is”.

Sadly my wife at the time sold it for 20p at a car boot sale. We are divorced now.

23. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

100%

Harry Hood likes this.
  24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I bought this album in London when it came out, and loved it. Here I am in the USA in 2020, still enjoying it!

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I found this compilation at my record store last year for $5. I'm sure most everyone here is familiar with it. There are some nice alternate single takes ("Shot By Both Sides", "Rhythm Of Cruelty") as well as many B-sides and stray tracks. Very much worth picking up.

Magazine - After The Fact

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.