Maggie Rogers Fun Contemporary Folk Pop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan L Vogel, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan L Vogel

Nathan L Vogel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been very into Contemporary singer/songwriter, record producer, Maggie Rogers. She's fun, beautiful and talented and has a incredible voice. Her production styles and genre is that of Folk Pop, or Art Pop in my mind. With harmonic stereophonic production, which listening only does justice! It's like a mixture of Bjork, and or Patti Smith, with newer elements involved. Rising from a recorded Masterclass By Pharrell Williams, gaining fame from her song Alaska.

Alaska (listen to the samples and stellar vocals)

Curious what people thing of her on this forum?

I thoroughly enjoyed her debut record

Heard It In A Past Life-2019 Produced by herself and others

Other notable songs I enjoy a lot are

Burning
    Light On (More Pop)
    Fallingwater
    Give a Little (One of my fave danceable tunes!!)

[​IMG]

SBurke and Beamish13 like this.
  2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Too bad there hasn't been more traction for this thread. I've been enjoying the heck out of Heard It in a Past Life for the last few weeks. Great beats and compelling vocals made even better by the fact the she writes her own stuff.

SBurke likes this.
  3. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

Does anybody else have issues with surface noise/static noise with their copy of "Heard It In A Past Life" pressing? While mine is listenable, there seems to be way more pops/clicks/static than what should be there on a new 180g album (I am well aware of the inconsistencies with new vinyl, but was disappointed to hear the amount of noise on this album). Mastering of the music is quite good, but wish it was a cleaner pressing.

Other than the pressing, love this album. Great pop songwriting and some pretty heavy lyrics.

4. zefferosnash

zefferosnash Forum Resident

I really liked On + Off, and Fallingwater was pretty good too but I feel like she just needs that intangible something to really separate herself from every other folk-cum-contemporary-pop singer in the indie scene today. More of her unique banjo playing wouldn't hurt, either.

5. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I just watched her performance on Austin City Limits which led me to this thread. Originally broadcast last October but was recently repeated and I got it on the DVR. She has a great voice with a good range. Nice personality when she talks to the audience. I love the song Alaska and her other slower numbers but her faster numbers are nothing special. And when she sings the fast numbers she jumps around on stage in this frenetic, hyperactive manner with arms waving that is a bit off putting. She herself talks about getting whiplash when going from big emotional high energy songs to tender songs. I definitely prefer the latter!
    There is great talent there and depending on the musical direction she takes she may have a great career ahead of her.

6. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I hadn't a clue who she was till a short vacation earlier this month; we were in a restaurant and I caught a bit of "Overnight," captured it on Shazam, and since then have been listening quite a lot to "Heard It in a Past Life" (including right now as I write this). I really think "Overnight" is a fantastic pop song (and I find it curious that none of you mention it above!). "Retrograde" is terrific as well, though I don't like the verse nearly as much as the chorus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.