Magic Eraser as a stylus cleaner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bryan, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah, that's what I do, but occasionally I 've used Bill's method (very very carefully) with no adverse effects.

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

No doubt it cleans the stylus in readily well! I'm just paranoid about little microscopic pieces getting in my grooves. I suppose if you don't clean with a record on the table it might be ok....

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's where trimming off a thin strip of it comes in. No real leverage can be applied that way as it's close to the same compliance as the suspension. It bends and deflects from the stylus as quickly as the cantilever can be moved when trimmed down thin enough. You need it sliced thick enough to hold steady and get enough pressure on the stylus to clean it of course. The only thing that you could do to damage the cartridge would be to get it stuck on there and pull hard to the side or back and bend the cantilever. If you're a klutz, then you'd not want to do it but it isn't exactly brain surgery either. It's a very similar technique as using a stylus brush, except that this actually works.
    :winkgrin:
    -Bill

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i recently got an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.they included a cleaning brush,which i haven't tried yet.i was using a ME with my old Denon cart,using the lowering method.do you think i should try the brush?

5. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I lost the tip on an AT150MLX just using the dip method. It prolly was a lack of adhesive on the diamond. :sigh:

Steve

6. these are also good for cleaning plastic fender flairs on cars and trucks brings them back to almost brand new. you need 2 buckets one with warm soapy water the other with clear cold water and some clean dry towels dip the erasure in the hot water and start wiping the fender depending on the dullness you might have to give it a few tries when you are happy with the way it looks dip a towel into the clear water and rinse off the soapy water what you are taking off is all of the oxidation and dirt that have dulled the surface unlike armour all it will not fade

7. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I'm not dragging a ME against my stylus and by the way, I believe ME recommends using the melamine sponge dampened. I'll stick with Onzlow Zerodust. If used often, I can't imagine a better preventative tool.

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Note to try ME using Bill's method.

Now do people really find it necessary to clean a record after each side or spin? This seems just too tedious for me and I'm not lazy and I'm dedicated to caring for my playback system. I clean before listening and after and "if" I hear something that sounds like it may need a cleaning. I really have a hard time saying, "The stylus sounds dirty."

In addition I do clean everything on a RCM and store in a poly sleeve. Minor dust is removed for the most part by a Hunt brush.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

NEVER DRAG THE STYLUS on a ME. Sheesh, I hope no one's doing that.

You dip gently, lift. No problems here. It DOES work very well.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Aw, man, you guys are chickens. Come on, those of us who grew up with spinning records know you just stroke the needle with your finger a couple times -- VVrraaaaap! VVrrraaaaap! -- ( note: this should be done with the volume still full up for best results) and BINGO! Hairballs and gunk gone from the needle! Honestly, I never lost a stylus in thirty years 'stroking' the diamond'!

Besides, it's fun watching your audiophile friends have a heart attack! Thanks for the tip, Uptown, I'm going try your back to front ME trick right now! I ain't afraid of no ME.

David Coleman, bru87tr and mikeyt like this.
  11. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

The ME does 'drag' a lot on a stylus if you try to pull it. At your own risk. It's tough stuff.

It also gets 'cut up' by the tearing and won't be effective for as long

I was dismayed by my MC stylus life about 20 years ago, and tried 'babying' one. It made no difference to the life (around 750 hours to audible enough distortion) at all, so I stopped bothering to use the cue, only use clean records etc. I was pretty sensitive to HF distortion at the time, maybe I'm more mellow now and will get more time out of a good cartridge. I don't play so much either, so I'm probably less sensitive to changes.

I used to exchange that MC regularly, after around 18 months each time. Be nice to have that expendable cash again.

12. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

The ME works fine although I would stick with dipping the stylus until you get a feel for dragging the ME (hint - very lightly and a smooth stroke). That said, I like the Zerodust goo better if only because it's easier to use, comes with a top to keep it clean that also works as a loupe. Mehran sold it for $20 when he first opened shop and it should last as long as I want to spin records.

I've only damaged a stylus using the brush but I think it was due to the cleaner eating away at the glue over several years.

13. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Actually, I remember reading that using your finger is a very good way to clean the stylus (provided your hands are clean :D )

The irregularities in your skin do a good job and won't damage the stylus.

14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yeah, I got Zerodust on my list but it's hard to drop $60+ now on a cleaner when I have a liquid thats been working fine for 3 years on my first and only stylus. I may give the ME a shot as it's a cheap alternative and eventually upgrade to Zerodust.

15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

750 hours? I'm way past that and maybe double that at about 1,500 hours. I thought I'd need to replace my cart at the end of this year but my local Hifi dealer said I have at least a year left on my cart. I did upgrade my phono stage to a Dynavector P75 MK II and it works great with my 10x5 but looking forward to upgrading to the 20 x 2L eventually.

16. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I came to the conclusion that it's not just the tip that ages and/or wears out, but that figure held for almost every cartridge I used (the exception being a Decca Gold Export, which never seems to wear out).

I appreciate everyone's mileage varies. FWIW the 'acceptable' range of wear when doing record QC was quite a bit less than my 750 hours, as stated in something I read about EMI's process a while ago. A stylus definitely stops sounding 'new' after a month or so. Some call this break-in. It's a continuum of change due to use. Others call this wear.

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd stick with the Magic Eraser. It'll clean better and faster if you use the brushing method with it. The Ortofon brush is very heavy and rigid by comparison and it could cause damage very quickly if you were not careful. The thin slice of Magic Eraser is very flexible and forgiving by comparison. Neither Ortofon or I recommend using cleaning solvents on the stylus. Either dry product will work and are essentially free, I just find the ME to be faster, safer, and more thorough.
    -Bill

18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I use a Magic Eraser and it works great. And yes, I drag the stylus across the surface of the Eraser most of the time. I leave the volume up on my speakers and drag the stylus VERY lightly over the surface of the Eraser. The speakers help make sure I don't put the stylus in there too far.

I've had the Onzow Zerodust for a long time, and still use this as well. It works great, but sometimes the stylus needs something a bit stronger, I think. Awhile back, I was having a hard time with sibilance in the left channel on a few of my records. I was driving me absolutely insane. Someone recommended the Magic Eraser, and it eliminated the problem right away. I had already been cleaning with the Zerodust, but the ME took care of the issue.

For me, it would be overkill to clean the stylus before each side, or even each record. I might clean it after 4-5 records, something like that. If I hear any distortion, I'll clean it sooner. If you're spinning clean records with new inner sleeves, the stylus should stay pretty clean for the most part.

bru87tr and Johnny Wong like this.
  19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Magic Eraser is the single best "tweak" I am aware of.

bru87tr likes this.
  20. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

i've been using ME succesfully for the last few months, great easy and cheap!!

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I've been using the ME to clean my Jico Shibata for the last year or so...it works great! This might be the cheapest fix I've found in this expensive hobby.

22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm sure you have more knowledge and experience with this than myself. I appreciate your feedback. A few months back I was paranoid that my cart was at the end of it's life. I took it to my local dealer and he did a few things (free of charge) that fixed the problem but said my stylus should last another year or so. I average about 300-500 hrs a year playing records.

23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yeah, that's basically my approach. I think I will try to the ME just to see if I notice a difference.

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Bill is your microscope able to take photos? I would be curious in seeing what a stylus looks like before and after cleaning with a ME.

25. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.