Magical Mystery Tour: An underrated album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Rockin' Ricky

Rockin' Ricky Forum Resident

Probably their most underrated, which is a sad case of the British and European mindset that God forbid Capitol actually made any right decisions!

Paper Shark, DK Pete and Curiosity like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Underrated comp more like. :)

DK Pete likes this.
  3. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

……as you’re no doubt aware, in the UK it appeared as a double EP without all the tracks on side 2 of the LP.

Not underrated IMHO. Walrus is the standout. Fool On The Hill if you like those McCartney ballads. Always had a soft spot for Blue Jay Way.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I think the reasons it became canon can be guessed at:
    1. It is a sensible compilation. The Beatles okayed it in 1967 for the American market. All the songs were released in 1967 so it "hangs together" nicely.
    2. If it were not canon, all 11 songs would end up on an overstuffed Past Masters volume 2 [or equivalent]... Perhaps some of the earlier vol. 2 tracks would have moved to vol.1 for better balance, but... I doubt they wanted to push the CDs that long by adding another 36.5 minutes to them...

Edit: Of course, if it were not canon and all the tracks were on PM, they would have had an excuse to give us the MMT album in the US albums box set and we might now have the original stereo Strawberry Fields Forever mix on CD... :realmad:

nikh33, Gila and DK Pete like this.
  5. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

"A Day In The Life"

DK Pete likes this.
  6. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Replying to my own comment to get this back out there. I am hoping the experts here, can help.

I have the Beatles mono box set , a few of the stereo CD's of that same release time, along with the 96/24 downloads of the current Peppers, White, and Abbey Rd. Also have a MMT BluRay on hold to pickup locally.

What am I missing digitally(Disc or Stream download) in Beatles that would be the best ?

Especially on Magical Mystery Tour. Still don't understand why they did not make a new remastered version , with a HiRES download like Peppers, White, and Abbey Rd ?

7. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

I bought the MoFi Lp when it came out. Somewhere during life, I lost it . It has haunted me for years ! :cussing::cry:

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Whether Magical Mystery Tour is highly rated as an album or not, its contents are certainly not forgotten. Seven of its 11 tracks are on the 1967-1970 "Blue" album, and three of them are on the explosively successful 1 compilation. It's not languishing in obscurity.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In that hypothetical scenario, I'd say there's at least a 50% chance they would have screwed up and used the 1971 remix on the US Albums version of MMT.

jmxw likes this.
  10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

... or used a copy of an mp3 sourced from an off-center-pressed bootleg.
    :doh:

Gila and czeskleba like this.
  11. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

It's a great album; I play it a lot. But no, I wouldn't say it's an underrated album. It gets the credit it deserves. I'd say "Blue Jay Way" is an underrated track, however.

jmxw likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

absolutely under-rated....for me, it's in the top 3.

13. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Not according to the price it commands for an early press in decent condition…

14. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

No love for Only a Northern Song?

15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

That sequence and selection makes a lot of sense - if only there were a way to complete it with a version of Across The Universe!

16. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

Moved to bonus track on Pepper, being that it was recorded during those sessions. So whenever I listen to Pepper, it starts with the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single and ends with Only a Northern Song.

EmceeEscher likes this.
  17. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Could add the Anthology 2 or LIB Naked version of Across the Universe to get a "early 1968" version of ATU.

ronbow likes this.
  18. John54

John54 Senior Member

My opinion is pretty much the same!

I'd add Baby You're a Rich Man to my list of favourites, and maybe that weirdly, foggily ominous Blue Jay Way (not to be confused with a well-known street in Toronto).

Oh, and Your Mother Should Know :hide:

supermd likes this.
  19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Top notch but I never saw it as underrated, not with those songs.

supermd likes this.
  20. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I remember hearing it at my friends house for the first time. Still knocks me out!

supermd likes this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

As a sign that I’ve almost exclusively listened to the mono mixes since 2009, I’m listening to the stereo MMT and “I Am The Walrus” came on, surprising me with the extra bar at the beginning.

jmxw and DK Pete like this.
  22. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

It's the one essential Capitol assemblage and indeed I say it functions more as a concept album than Pepper’s does. Not just the songs on side one which appear in the loose travelogue / collection of music promos (later, aka, "videos") where the slim narrative framework is taking a trip with the Beatles and friends on a bus — the stuff on second side, too. Each song's about coming or going / traveling, or a destination: place/time/status.

Side one)
    Opener — statement of theme; invitation to join the tour
    Second track — alone on a hill, with the world spinning 'round
    Third track — aerial instrumental
    Fourth track — friends lost on way to a place (out here)
    Fifth track — a long long time ago
    Final track — more flying, waiting for a van, then of course an English garden, climbing the famous tower. Kinda disorienting going all over like this. The perfect closer​

Side two)
    Opener — High? Low? Stop? Go go go go
    Second track — in a tree, again high or low, again being asked to come along, this time to a childhood place, reflective of theme that at some stage was to and/or still did inform Pepper's, but most overt right here and with next number…
    Third track — to and from colorful places up and down the lane, under the blue sky, and back
    Fourth track — How often have you been / What did you see when you were … there? Not to mention, inside a zoo
    Finale — debuts on first global / multinational broadcast (which even had a space segment), commences with a national anthem, and determines (one could say, in context of album's sequence, after all this traveling…) there's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be. An ideal(istic) conclusion to our voyage​

More thematic unity than Pepper's which pretty much just has the framing device of opener / reprise / cover art costumes to let us know they're a different band. And musically as cohesive as the earlier album, collecting the rest of their 1967 releases. Far as concept albums go, this one's effectively a psychedelic Come Fly With Me.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    A Local Bloke and DK Pete like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The “theme” in Pepper, to my mind, was that of the album being a stage performance piece as opposed to any sort of thread running through the songs themselves. In this sense, I always found it conceptually coherent even though some (including John) say otherwise. But that said, your MMT description/script works very nicely.

Library Eye likes this.
  24. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band put on a show and what a show it is.

DK Pete likes this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It absolutely does. The track stays in true stereo throughout. Beautifully done.

Mesozoic Mike, Keith V and Veech like this.